Trangia

Discussion in 'Manufacturers' started by Spiritburner, Nov 13, 2011.

1. Spiritburner

Spiritburner Admin SotM Winner Subscriber

Trangia

Article courtesy of Malin Svensson of Trangia AB

1425474691-TrangiaPic1.jpg

Trangia was founded in 1925 by John E. Jonsson, who was a technically gifted and enterprising designer from an early age. Together with his father-in-law, he started the company which since then has been passed down to new generations of the family. Trangia started with producing cookware for the household in 1925 and around 1935 they started to produce various camping sets, kettles, mess tins, fry pans, mugs and plates.

In the late 1940s there were only camping stoves run with meta-tablets. (The gas and kerosene stoves that existed were the larger models and not designed to carry around). The spirit burner on the market was made in regular steel and a stand, designed for use indoors as a complement to the wood stove. During a visit to a Sporting goods store in Östersund, Mr.Jonsson was asked if the meta-stove was good. "Yes sure," was answer "but it would be better off with a stove that was run with methylated spirits." It was a mission we took on at Trangia, and so began the storm cookers history…..

It had to be a stove for the average person, easy to use, easy to clean and it would contain everything you need to cook one meal during the camping trip, and the coffee pot was important. Everything would be packed in a compact unit that took up little space and was easy to carry. Instead of making the windshields with ledges to put the vessels on (as in the meta-stove) we produced upper windshield with hooks for pots and frying pan to be stable on. The folding hooks also made that the stove easy to be packed into a compact unit. The pots and pans where made plain to be easy to clean.

The burner, the stove's "heart", was still the most important and in the beginning it was made in aluminum but soon found that brass was the material that worked best and the burner has since been manufactured in brass. In the bottom of the burner the Trangia logo was imprinted, in this way created the unevenness of the ground necessary for fuel to reach out to the wick. The Trangia stove has looked the same from the beginning, but all the time, there have been changes and improvements. There have been hints from users over the years of the stove on some details that could be better. In 1951 the first prototype of the Trangia stove was finished.

Trangia took its name from Trångsviken in Sweden, which is a small village in northern Sweden, more specific the village Trång. Then 'ai' was added which is for aluminum. The village houses 350 people and boasts one shop and a restaurant. There are 18 employees and most of them live in the village. Although tiny, the village is well connected to the outside world. It is located only 20 minutes from the airport at Östersund and close to the ski resort Åre.

1425474715-TrangiaPic2.jpg

Technical
    The longevity and reliability of the Storm Cooker is ensured through an insistence in the use of the best materials and complete control of their own manufacturing. From 2006, Trangia is using a new alloy of aluminum called 5005 H24, which is 50% stronger than the former aluminum. Because of the strength of the material, the stoves can be made thinner. This has meant a weight reduction of up to 22% of the stoves. The new material has given rise to a new series of Storm Cookers called Ultralight. Furthermore, another series of Storm Cookers called Ultralight Hardanodized has been introduced. Hardanodizing makes the stoves extremely resistant to wear and tear.

In the late 1980’s the range was expanded with new options in materials and burners. Non-Stick Teflon finish and Stainless Steel give alternatives for cookware. Stainless Steel was replaced by Duossal in 1993, which was replaced by Ultralight Hardanodized aluminum in 2007. In 1998 the product development continued with Titanium, which brought lighter, tougher stoves and pans. But the Titanium is from 2007 replaced with the new material Ultralight Hardanodized aluminum.

Collaborations have been established with other stove manufacturers. Trangia is selling a gas burner and a multi-fuel burner from Primus, both modified to fit the Trangia Storm Cookers. The windshield was changed in 1988 to incorporate holes for the gas burners and a twist lock mechanism to secure the two halves together. A safety fuel bottle was developed to overcome the problems of carrying fuel and spilling it accidentally.

Several of these innovations have been given recognition in COLA awards. ‘Product of the Year Awards’ have been given to Duossal Pans, Gas Burners and the Fuel Bottle. The new Ultralight Storm Cooker was rewarded with the ‘Outdoor Industry Award’ 2006 in Friedrichshafen.

Timeline
    1925 -The company Trangia starts to produce cooking ware for households
    c1935 - produces the first camping set, no 24.
    1951- the first prototype to the Trangia stove was finished, model 25.
    End of 1950's - the Trangia stove comes in a smaller model, 27
    Early 1960's - the holder for the burner moves from upper to lower windshield
    1964-1976 - Produced the larger burner for the Military Mess kit for the Swedish Army (the kit is not a Trangia item)
    1969 - fry pan in nonstick
    Early 1970' - hooks and the ring on the windshield is changed to stainless steel
    Early 1970's - the handle is now made with holes
    1979 - winter attachment for the burner
    1987 - saucepans in nonstick
    1985 - Mini Trangia, originally made for multi sport competitors
    1988 - Gas burner is available to the Trangia stove, manufactured by Scorpio & later Epi Gas
    1988 - the windshield is manufactured with bayonet coupling & holes for gas and multifuel burners
    1993 - sauce pans and fry pan in Duossal (stainless steel/aluminum)
    1995 - the Gas burner is made by Primus
    1998 - sauce pans and fry pan in Titanium
    2001 - multidisc 27+25 is available
    2002 - Multifuel burner from Optimus
    2006 - new thinner material in sauce pans and windshield,Ultralight aluminum & hard anodized
    2010 - Multifuel burner is made by Primus
    2010 - Trangia Triangle is available
    2010 - Trangia is already a registered Trademark but now the Trangia Stove is also a registered 3D shape which protects the stove from unlawful copying

1425474728-TrangiaPic3.jpg

2. hikin_jim

:clap: :clap: :clap: Bravo, Ross!! Excellent. SO much information. The timeline should enable us to have a much better idea of the age our our stoves.

My 25 has an older style simmer ring that flips up vertically rather than slides horizontally. Unfortunately they don't mention that. My 25 has a leather strap. Unfortunately they don't mention that.

But they do mention that the pot hooks were changed to stainless steel in the early 1970's, so I'm assuming the rusty pot hooks on my old Trangia date it at least back to the late 60's/early 70's. They also mention that the burner was moved to the lower windshield in the early 1960's. My burner mounts in the lower windshield. So, I think my 25 was manufactured some time in the 1960's. NICE!

My 27 is much newer, but how new? It has no gas opening in the windshield. They don't mention the gas opening specifically, but they do mention that the gas burner became available in 1988, so my stove probably predates 1988. They also mention the addition of a "bayonet connector" (whatever that is) in 1988. My upper windscreen of my 27 stove just sits on the lower windscreen. There is no connector, so I'm pretty sure that my 27 predates 1988. I can't date it any more precisely than that, but at least I have an idea of when it came out.

THANK YOU SO MUCH, Ross! :clap:

HJ

3. Spiritburner

They do mention in the text the holes were added in 1988. I will add that to the time line.

The flip simmer ring was certainly around end of the 70's when I got mine. The older burner with the flip-up didn't have a screw on cap.

It'd be good to know when the Trangia logo changes on the strap retainer & kettle lid were made too. I'll ask.

It's great to have some info now folk are looking at Trangia's with a more descerning eye.

4. Prime-Us

Hi Ross,
    Very interesting stuff about Trangia. Around 1983 I was a designer at Chouinard Equipment for Alpinists and Patagonia. They sent me to my first SIA (Ski Industry of America) trade show where, back then, all the outdoor equipment companies displayed their wares, later creating the Outdoor Retailer show which continues completely unassociated with the ski industry.
    Trangia was displaying an orange-coated tea kettle that they let me buy at the end of the show. I gave it to my wife who, at the time, had no interest whatsoever in the outdoors. Now she loves backpacking and camping and we have put that distinctive kettle to good use on many different stoves, I've never seen another. I made a matching orange ballistic nylon bag for it to keep it nice.

Thanks,
    Gary

5. cazna

I just got lucky and have a 27-8 Duoseal trangia kit on the way almost like new i think, VERY happy about that indeed, I also have a 25 and 28 and there gas burner, Wow that gas burner puts out some heat, Trangias and meths stoves are great.

6. SNOWGOOSE

Good stuff Ross,

So pleased that you have got this information from Trangia.

It was all the history of stoves found in the Stove Reference Library that got me to Join CCS in the first place.

Cheers,

Rob

7. Spiritburner

Please to hear that Rob & we're lucky to have had your contributions since.

CCS has always strived to be more than just a stovie talk-shop & unstructured show & tell. Our strength is in our reference, even for non-members, with the benefit in our latest format that members can more easily add to the knowledge. Add to that the sociability we have here & we have a winner!

In the past couple of months I've seen the stove parts of the site see more action than the Lounge which is good to see.

It is great, at last, to add Trangia to this section.

8. Sparky

Sparky Subscriber

It was my fascination with a Trangia Stove in a Swedish Mess Kit that got me started with camp stoves. Not sure if that's good or bad... :lol:

9. hikin_jim

Only your shrink knows for sure. ;) :lol:

But Doctor, I don't have a problem. Just a few more stoves, and I'll be fine. :lol:

HJ

10. hikin_jim

Looks good, Ross. I thought I had seen that the holes in the lower windshield were added in 1988, but when I went back to the timeline, I couldn't find them (not surprising since they were in the body of the text not the timeline). A nice addition to have the information added to the timeline.

I don't suppose we know when Trangia switched strap styles, do we?

HJ

11. Spiritburner

I'll ask!

12. jschrewe

Are you sure about the bayonet coupling? Because my Trangia 27 has holes for gas and multifuel burners but no bayonet couplings. I got it as a present between 1990 and 1992, can't remember the exact year.

13. Jeopardy

Jeopardy Subscriber

Two thoughts have just struck me that we tend to forget in these stove dating debates. Both make personal recollection slightly unreliable.

One is the time between manufacturing and end user purchase.
    It is not impossible that, particularly at family run concerns, a stove would sit on the shelf for two or three years. Forty or fifty years ago there were far more shops that were willing to stock something so that they offered a full range of goods. Independent store owners didn't panic that it was taking up shelf space if it didn't sell twenty minutes after it arrived in the stock room. They also didn't worry that a new version would appear before they had even set the price gun.
    With today's multinationals running the high street, the bean counters now set a "budget" that every square inch of shelf space has to meet every month. Bar codes and computers mean that stock control is no longer down to the manager to make decisions. Stock is seen a necessary evil and not astound investment. So it is less likely to happen these days.
    Shipping times between factory gate and retailer have probably reduced too. Everything used to go by ship in boxes and crates that had to be loaded and unloaded by stevedores, sometimes several times. Now we have airfreight or shipping containers to speed things up.
    Manufacturers also used to build up large stocks knowing that they would sell eventually.

The second is the time taken to roll out to individual markets.
    Manufacturers have traditionally rolled out a new product one territory at a time. It gives them a chance gauge how a product is received before committing more production facilities to making the extra volumes needed a each market is opened up. It also allows the stockpile of previous versions to be sold off overseas without dropping the price. In some senses this too has speeded up with global product launches on the internet and "previews" but it does still go on. It also used to take a long time to just translate a users guide or even the cardboard boxes that products ship in. This means that a catalog for Sweden could easily contain products that didn't appear in UK or US versions until the next year.

Just my two ha'pennies worth.
    John

14. Spiritburner

Very true John. The article is from Trangia themselves. I have a vague recollection that the Trangia was available with the extra holes in the lower windshield for other stoves & no bayonet fitting. I'll be checking mine & the gallery when I get a mo. If they do exist as it seems the 1988 could be for the holes or the bayonet. I thought the bayonet was later but time does fly!

15. pysen78

pysen78 Subscriber

There's holes and holes. I think Trangia made windshields with holes for fuel line and control knob for the KAP Arctic. Perhaps prior to also adapting them to the gas burner?

16. Odd

I think pysen78 is correct here;
    there were Trangia 25's made for Gunnar Finn's "Trangia Arctic"-production [WITH a bayonet locking of the windshields AND the two 10,5mm holes for fuelpipe + regulator knob and WITHOUT the hole for a gasburner feed] made well before 1988.

I bought my T25 "Trangia Arctic" in the DOMUS Sport dept. in Kiruna Town early spring (Feb? March?) of 1988 - and it was very fresh out of Gunnars facility a few hundred meters away then. It lacked the gas hose hole...

So I think there must be a significant time difference between 'bayonet' introduction and 'gas burner hole' introduction...

17. Odd

PS.
    The bayonet coupling is also very differently stamped between my old 1988 Arctic and the NOS DuoSSAL kit I bought today Dec 30 2013 - which came in an unopened box printed in 2001:

1388432157-Trangia_bayonet_lock.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  18. Doc Mark

Doc Mark SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi, Odd,

I am envious of your Trangia 25 Duossal pot set! Chiropo, in Italy, says that he just bought a complete set of Trangia 25 Duossal pots from Trangia, and I'm hoping that, maybe, they are offering them again. I've sent off an email to ask, just in case. Someday, I'll find a M25 Duossal pot set, too (I hope!), and that will be a very happy day, for sure!! Thanks for posting this comparison of the bayonet locking setup on these two kits. Nice work. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

19. Odd

Hello Doc, and the rest of you blue flame addicts! I bring GREAT tidings for this fresh new year:

I've just hung up the phone after having a conversation with a chap at Trangia up in Trångsviken - Chiropo is RIGHT, there are both inner and outer Duossal pots to be had for the (larger) Trangia T25, directly from the factory. No frying pans though. At least for a short while in history they are here again...

This is what he told me;
    The Finnish Defence had ordered a sizeable heap of T25's with Duossal pots so in order to fill that order they had to re-start pot production in DuoSSAL. The order were delivered to the Finns a few weeks ago. So now, for a while - for a short moment in history - they have a few pot sets in storage in Trångsviken.

My recommendation is to write a letter/ make a phone call/ send a fax to the factory and beg them to sell you a pot set if that is what you dearly desire. Personally I wouldn't trust just sending an e-mail as only means of contact...

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  20. Doc Mark

Doc Mark SotM Winner Subscriber

Greetings, Odd,

WOW!! That's great news, indeed!! I will email again, and if that fails, will call Trangia to talk to them about sending me a set of M25 Duossal pots!! Last time I emailed, Trangia wanted a direct link to my bank account, and only had one size Duossal pot in stock, the small one. I am not keen on sending out our bank account information, as who knows where it might end up being used!! In any case, if Trangia won't sell a set to me, directly, using PayPal, or something like that, I will see if one of our Swedish Mates might be able to score the set for me, and send it along, and I will repay them via PayPal. Thank you for this outstanding news, Odd, and I'll let you know how it all turns out!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc