Traveling No.1 - mid 1920s

Discussion in 'Optimus No:1(inc. S & J)' started by Ian McInnis, Jan 30, 2017.

1. Ian McInnis

It was suggested that I post photos here of my new-to-me Optimus Traveling No.1. While I'm new to the subject, I'm picking up a few things already! Thanks to all who've responded to my inquiry. New word of the day: Fettling!

I'd be happy to answer what questions I can, or post other photos. Let me know.

It has also been suggested that I not clean the brass! I think the photo may seem to show this as "prettier" than I see in front of me. There is quite a bit of discoloration that appears to be the result of skin oils from handling - fingerprints are easily seen all over this stove. They are black with age. Surely I can lightly clean this thing? I've seen beautiful examples of quite shiny stoves on this forum. I want mine shiny too! Otherwise, as far as I can tell, this is in very nice condition in terms of a lack of dents, scratches, etc.

Ian
    SF Bay Area

optimus-1.jpg

optimus-5.jpg

optimus-6.jpg

optimus-7.jpg

optimus-8.jpg

optimus-9.jpg

optimus-10.jpg

2. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:!

A fine addition to the Reference Gallery.

Cheers

Tony

3. ArchMc

ArchMc Subscriber

Of course you can clean the brass! (It's your stove, after all.)

A lot of us (myself included) feel that a nice, even patina is a mark of careful use, and is part of the history of the stove. With an uneven patina, it would probably look better cleaned up. If certain parts of the stove are heavily tarnished, then you really should clean it in order to protect the brass.

There has been a great deal of discussion on this forum about the best way to clean brass. The main thing to remember is that ammonia can damage brass. The safest way to clean stoves, IMHO, is described here.

Welcome to the forum, and congratulations on acquiring a true classic.

....Arch

4. Ian McInnis

Well, I did give my stove a cleaning, so a couple of new photos to post.

Taking into account the suggestion of others that preserving an honest patina would be best, and having read about the recommended options for cleaning, I did the following: cleaning with warm, soapy water and plastic scouring pad; hand buffing with a clean, dry cloth; an application of a cleaning carnauba wax, and further polishing with a cloth; a final polishing with, first the suede side of a piece of leather, then the smooth side.

This cleaning method worked best for me, as it allowed an attractive patina to remain, with darker (lowlights?) preserved - highlighting the wear of a well-handled piece of history.

It is now a pleasure to hold, to turn over in my hands and contemplate.

optimus-11.jpg

optimus-12.jpg

5. z1ulike

z1ulike United States SotM Winner Subscriber

Wow...that really came out nice. I think you nailed clean/preserve balance perfectly.

Ben

6. igh371

igh371 SotM Winner Subscriber

Now that is a very nice looking finish:thumbup:

7. ArchMc

ArchMc Subscriber

Really looks nice!

....Arch