Trepanning NRV washers.

Discussion in 'Fettlers Master Class' started by kerophile, Jun 16, 2008.

1. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

One problem when using a punch to produce NRV washers is that the product can have a "dumbell" shape (having a waist, with the centre of the washer being of smaller diameter than the faces). This occurs because the punch compresses the nitrile rubber sheet before it starts cutting. Once cut, the rubber springs back and the characterisitic dumbell shape is the result.

You can buy Nitrile cord of the correct diameter, but I had already come up with another fix:

One of my favourite pens of all time is this ball-point pen made in Japan by Zebra Pens:

DSCN0124_edited-4.jpg

The refills for this pen come in packs of two, and also contain replacement springs:

DSCN0125_edited-6.jpg

When you get the old refill out, it seems a pity to throw it away:

DSCN0126_edited-4.jpg

The thin steel tube containing the plastic ink cartridge is about 5.3mm outer diameter and approx. 5mm internal diameter. It is easily extracted. The spring, suitably shortened can repair a NRV if you are stuck.

You now sharpen the cutting edge of the thin-walled tube, using a file and abrasive paper, whilst the tube is rotating in the drill:

DSCN0128_edited-4.jpg

This thin-walled steel tubing with a sharpened end makes a trepanning tool. I put this tube in an electric drill, moisten the cutting edge with some WD 40 fluid, and can cut new NRVwashers

DSCN0129_edited-4.jpg

You are now ready to cut NRV washers, rather than punch them in the traditional way This is just for example, I generally use 3 mm thick nitrle sheet for making NRV washers.:

DSCN0132_edited-3.jpg

DSCN0170_edited.jpg

Necessity is the Mother of Invention they say.

Best Regards,
    Kerophile

2. Henry

brilliant :D

3. jlgatton

Excellent :D :D :D

I just so happens the Zebra is the pen I carry so I always have used refills with springs, it just never occurred to me.

Way to go,

Jerry

4. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator, R.I.P. Subscriber

Another example of great lateral thinking, George! :D

5. Spiritburner

Spiritburner Admin SotM Winner Subscriber

I've just bought a few meters of the nitrile cord (still waiting for it) so should be alright for many a year of nrv washer supply. However I will look at things with a more lateral view in future - I'm sure there are other items that could be called upon to make other washers. I just got a bench drill at the car-boot so I'm keen to start using it for odd jobs - the more stove related the better!

6. hobowonkanobe

Had your coffee and cherios, yeah? Wow! That is briliant.

7. spudz

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Hat's off !

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

8. parramethtrol

parramethtrol Subscriber

nice one kerophile another one to remember,all i have to do now is find one of those pens,the kids will soon use up the ink for me

9. sefaudi

Hey George, you showed another invention.

I remember previously somebody else also suggested to connect hollow punch to a drill.

Could there be additional usage if we keep nitrile material a little into deep freezer before cutting it?

10. kerophile

Hi Sefa, If my memory is working properly; I believe that most rubbers have the peculiar property of stretching more when they get cold.
    It is counter-intuitive , but is linked to the degree of cross-linking between the polymer chains, and its temperature dependence.

Here is the Link:
    http://www.physlink.com/Education/AskExperts/ae573.cfm

Best Regards,
    George.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  11. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith Subscriber

Interesting answer from that website, George, but I must take the author to task on one small point:-

I was teaching entropy in Biology in 1972 and I suspect it had been on the syllabus for a good number of years prior to that. Anyway, I got me a set of those drill 'punches' linked-to above which will save me faffing about with ball-pen refills. Great idea, though!

12. fyldefox

fyldefox R.I.P.

This is a great piece of lateral thinking George, although I do find that hand operated leather punches also do a fine job for NRV rubbers.

13. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Hey, Kerophile,

Very nice bit of "McGuyverism" (sp?)!! I'd like to make one of those ball point pen punches, "just because", but like a few others, have had very good luck punching out my NRV gaskets with a plain-jane set of punches from Harbor Freight. I very probably won't change what's been working so well, but it would be fun to mess with Kerophile's Patented Pen Punch, when time presents!! :D :D Very nice, George!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

14. oops56

Yep i just got 4 refills now how do i get the ink out oh man i can see a mess coming up.

15. kerophile

Hi Robert. The beauty of the Zebra refills I recommended is that the ink never touches the steel tubing. The plastic tubing holds the ink.

Of course if you use the pen until the ink is all used up...there wouldn't be a problem even if the ink was held in the steel tube ....Doh.

Best Regards,
    George.

16. Spiritburner

Spiritburner Admin SotM Winner Subscriber

Thanks for the link - if they'd gone up to 3/4" I may have gone for them. Anyway, as a result of George's idea & seeing the drill punches I had a go at something similar. I have a small punch set with a small handle (mandrel?) & various screw in punches. I found a punch perfect for the nrv, screwed it to the tool & clamped it in the chuck of the bench drill. It wasn't too good at first so I sharpened it & then ran a load off in no time.

17. parramethtrol

parramethtrol Subscriber

nice one Ross
    any chance you could tell me the size punch's that are used on fuel cap gaskets (opti ) and also the inner safety valve washer as i have just bought a set of Maun punches but i'm unsure if it contains all the sizes i'm likely to need the set i have got contains these
    5,6,8,10,12.5,16,20,25 and 32mm
    143443752_o-640.jpg

i think i'm going to need a 19mm or 3/4" for the lid i have another set in my sights but there will be a bit of duplication on some sizes

both sets have got the centring pin so i should be able to punch fairly accurate washers,i would have liked the set with the ability to cut washers in one pop but they are really expensive (70 quid)

i now have these size cutters
    5mm 6mm 8mm 10mm 11mm 12.5mm 13mm 16mm 19mm 20mm 22mm 25mm 28mm 32mm 35mm
    will this cover everything ?

this the other set i have bought

5MM 6MM 8MM 10MM 11MM 13MM 16MM 19MM 22MM 25MM 28MM 32MM 35MM
    �28 including delivery
    punch.jpg

18. bolexguy

bolexguy Subscriber

sometimes i'm amazed at how simple the things around in everyday settings are just raw materials waiting to happen

excellent thanks !

19. HappyCamper

Thank you very much for posting this information. As a result I was able to make my own NRV tool and Washer. I have two Optimus 111T (I believe) and now one is operational thanks to the great information here.

I used bicycle inner tube to make my washer. Is this going to last. The inner tube is from a bicycle that is less than 5 years old and seems to be of a different materiel than old school inner tubes. So far no blow by thru the NRV. I ended up inverting the NRV spring and pip and inserting my newly made washer. This works so far. This has eliminated the pip hanging up in the hole on the side of the NRV Cylinder. I managed to repair one stove but severely damaged the NRV on the other so I am looking for parts if anybody can help.

Thanks again.

20. BernieDawg Banned

Try this eBay link for a fellow who is selling used NRV's at the mo.
    Link

When the link above expires, try searching for "davedja", the seller, at eBay.

Best,
    Gary