Trying to bring my 'ole 99 back to life...

Discussion in 'Optimus No:99' started by RangerDan, Apr 13, 2018.

1. RangerDan

15235759769402052306872.jpg Hi
    Just found this site while trying to find some help . I'm the original owner of my stove, but it has been in storage for a a decade (or two). Fortunately it is still in good shape, but I can not get it to fire. From what I can tell, it looks like the tip of the cleaning needle is broken off/missing. Everything else seems to work ok, but no fuel makes it way through the small opening in the nipple. Opening and closing the valve makes no difference. Any suggestions?

2. Majicwrench

Am sure you know, but stove needs some heat and/or pressure before fuel will flow.
    That said, remove jet and you will see little needle (if it is still there). While jet off peer thru it at good lite and see if hole is clear. Open valve all the way with jet off and it will bring short geared rack out of jet hole Rack should have little cleaning needle on top. Stove will work fine without rack and needle, and you can leave it out for testing or forever.

Oh WELCOME this post would get more response if moved to Fettling or Stove chat.

3. Robtz

Robtz Subscriber

Just don't wind the rack all the way out - operate it to make sure it moves (if it's there) and gauge whether the needle would exit the top of the nipple, but resist the urge to wind it further 'just because'. Sometimes these things are a b.ugger to get back in the right place.

And yes, welcome.

4. Giri

Giri Subscriber

I would check the condition of the fuel cap gasket.

Too old and elasticity loss?
    Then the tank will not hold pressure, no matter how may times you pre-heat it.

5. Trojandog

Trojandog United Kingdom Subscriber

Empty the tank of fuel and refit the fuel cap.

Close the valve clockwise to the right.

Immerse the stove in hot water. The air in the tank will expand and any air bubbles will indicate a leak. If it's not been used in a long while the filler cap seal is the most likely culprit.