Turm 144 replacement wick

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Twoberth, Jan 24, 2020.

1. Twoberth

Twoberth United Kingdom Subscriber

I love my Turm 144, but after a session smoking fish it finally stopped working. No meths flow, so must be a blockage somewhere. When I took it apart, I could see that the wick was solid with crud after decades of use, and try as I would I couldn't get the old wick out.

I poked at it from the control end and picked at it from the supply end, and although I got some crusty bits out the main section was solid. I didn't want to damage the control spindle seat with more vigorous poking, so drastic measures were called for and I 'unbrazed' the control end from the main supply tube. Sure enough the wick was seized solid and had to be reamed out using a drill bit rotated by hand. No sign of any wire - just what looked like rust and crud.

The new wick was a section of roof insulation gently twisted into place,

DSC09245.JPG DSC09246.JPG

and then the sections were rebrazed using Silverflo 55.

DSC09249.JPG DSC09250.JPG

And the old reliable Turm is back in business again

DSC09251.JPG DSC09253.JPG

and doing what it does best - making coffee!

DSC09254.JPG DSC09256.JPG

2. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
  3. Harder D. Soerensen

Harder D. Soerensen Denmark Subscriber

Well done!
    ( I used a piece from a glass fiber mat (for Boat repairing) for my old Turm Sport).
    I think these small uncomplicated meth stoves are a bit underrated as indoor stoves - great heat - easy lightening, no smell and great simmer.
    Whats not to like ;-)

4. Twoberth

Thanks Tony and Harder.
    The Turm parts sheet calls it a ‘filter’, but I called it a few other things yesterday!

5. Simes

Simes Subscriber

@Twoberth, that sounds like what was in the feed tubes of my 38, thankfully that was all soft soldered. Apologies I can't give a link to the fettle story at the moment. It's an annoying process the extract the remains.

I do like the idea of fiberglass insulation, I may replace my efforts with something along those lines.

6. Twoberth

@Simes
    Fibreglass insulation works fine as it filters and slows down the flow in the hot zone, and so aids vaporisation. However because it’s an insulator, it’s crap at heat transfer.

I was wondering if fine brass gauze would be a better choice as it would also filter and slow the flow, but in the hot zone it would be a better as a heat exchanger. A bit like the metal coil in a Coleman generator.

However, fibreglass works great. Maybe I am looking for an improvement for a problem that doesn’t exist! After all, I am a worshipper of the patron saint of unnecessary modifications!