Turm 36 two burner stove project...

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by ke6ziu, Mar 7, 2014.

1. ke6ziu

Howdy gang... I've started tearing it apart. I had some problems with it, but I was able to take it apart without too much incident. The hardest part, was removing a bolt that had rusted to the point where the bolt was stripping... nothing a torch can't handle (North American torch, not what we call a flashlight; that's what you Brits call a torch...)! Now, the hard part will be getting the rusted out filter wires... Ugh, I hate this part!!!

1394217028-disassembledstove.jpg
    The Turm 36, completely disassembled...

1394217057-stovebody.jpg
    This is the body of the stove; it needs some serious work! So, a lot of Jasco paint remover, and a wire cup, and we're off!!!

1394217071-nutzNboltz.jpg
    Here's all the mounting hardware. Pretty badly rusted, so they're soaking in CLR to remove the rust...

1394217086-burnerparts.jpg
    Under the circumstances, the burner units look good... just suffering from serious oxidation! A little Brasso, and some sweat equity, and this beast should be operational!

1394217100-preheatcupz.jpg
    The Preheater cups. Auf Deutsch, antwarmschale... these are badly rusted, so they've been covered in Jasco, and I plan on hitting them with a wire cup!

1394217112-tankbottom.jpg
    The bottom of the tank... I'm not looking forward to removing those rusted out, filter holders!!! Any ideas on how best to remove those things?

1394217127-tanktop.jpg
    And finally, the top of the tank... In spite of all the age, the burners worked when tested; they just need new filters!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  2. ke6ziu

Thanks to the moderators for the suggestions on how to upload the photos... Luckily, I'm using Linux, and I've found some cool jpg editing software! :shock:

3. cazna

Nice, I have the single burner model like this waiting a clean up.

4. ke6ziu

I also have a Turm 39 single burner stove... I picked that one up from this German kid in Hannover. I only paid something like US$25 for it, plus shipping from Germany! That thing uses a lot of alcohol!!! I mean, we're talking a half litre of alcohol!!! Wow!!! But, it puts out a lot of heat! Now, the hardest part with this thing, is cleaning out the feed tubes. It has a dual feed tube coming from the tank, but I'm wondering if this is just for show. I also tried fibreglass strands for the wick, but to no avail!!! I think, what I need to do, is braid the fibreglass, and make a candle wick. They do sell fibreglass candle wick, and I'm giving serious consideration on using it... Hopefully, it isn't near as messy as this fibreglass patch material I've been using...