1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Turm-Sport old version

Discussion in 'Turm' started by Boston Terrior man, Jun 5, 2011.

1. Boston Terrior man

Hello here is a Turm-Sport stove from Germany. I'm not sure of the date but understand it's an older one of the alcohol Turm stoves. the picture with flames were 99% Iso propylique but i will now use Methyl Hydrate in it.

It's in pretty good shape but often people leave the burner cover on burning off the label.

But still a neat stove.

1307309770-DSC_0167__260x173_.jpg

1307309807-DSC_0179__260x173_.jpg 1307309829-DSC_0270__260x173_.jpg 1307309870-DSC_0286__260x173_.jpg 1307309455-DSC_0162__260x173_.jpg 1307309455-DSC_0162__260x173_.jpg 1307309485-DSC_0163__260x173_.jpg 1307309501-DSC_0165__260x173_.jpg 1307309501-DSC_0165__260x173_.jpg

2. nzmike New Zealand

I've always had a fancy for one of those! A while back I thought I had sussed one out, but when it arrived it turned out to be a Sport. Oh well.....nice stove! :thumbup:

3. BernieDawg Banned

Heya BTM,
    Here follows my two cents on the subject of alcohol fuels and alcohol burning stoves. :whistle:

With the proper fuel, denatured alcohol, the Turm stoves will burn with a much bluer flame than is shown in the photos above and with zero sooting.
    1307317202-IMGP9333.jpg

Denatured alcohol is ethanol (aka ethyl alcohol) with traces of adulterating chemicals so that you can not drink it. Denatured alcohol is 93-95% ethanol.

1307317209-IMGP9345.jpg

Kleen-Strip S-L-X denatured alcohol can be found in the paint departments of Home Depot, Lowes and WalMart in the US.

Sunnyside denatured alcohol can be found at Rodda Paint, Fastenal, Menards, True Value Hardware stores and Do-It-Best hardware stores as well as several other chain outlets in the US.

Methyl hydrate is a less frequently used name for methanol (methyl alcohol), sometimes known as wood alcohol. It is often one of the chemicals used to adulterate the ethanol that makes up denatured alcohol and is part of the 5-7% of the poisonous adulterants found in denatured alcohol.

I submit that neither methanol (methyl hydrate) or isopropyl/propanol are suitable fuels for use in vintage alcohol burning stoves as the designers were not using these fuels to develop their stoves in the day.

Additionally, methanol is highly toxic compared to ethanol. Methanol is poisonous and can be absorbed through the skin. It causes damage to the central nervous system.

Ethanol is "grain alcohol" (distilled from grain) and is basically booze with poisonous methanol (and other chemicals) added to it so you cannot drink it.

In Canada, due to rather odd laws, it is perfectly ok to sell the poisonous methanol to the general public, but denatured alcohol, ethanol, is tightly regulated. Reportedly denatured alcohol can be found in Canada at BSC Chemicals in Ottawa and at the specialized finishing products store, John E Goudey, in Toronto, among others. Canadian woodworkers often sneak across the border with American denatured alcohol for use in thinning shellacs or chemically drying large bowl turnings. Sneak at your own risk. Reportedly denatured alcohol is used by some in the production of methamphetamines so perhaps that explains Canada's regulation. ???

And, good luck.

Cheers,
    Gary

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  4. geeves

geeves New Zealand Subscriber

re the shellac comment. My father used to do french polishing. Ethanol used as a solvent gives the best result and methanol would often cause a cloudy finish. They also used sulphuric acid to bring up the shine and they would get the strength right by tasting it. Correct strength wasn't much different to car battery acid.

5. Boston Terrior man

Hi Gary

Thank you for clarifying this mystery, I just assumed we Canadians don’t call it denatured alcohol and Methyl Hydrate was the same thing but now I see why I can’t just find it in stores. My wife is from Florida so our next drive down or if I camp in Pennsylvania this summer I’m going to pick up some denatured alcohol. I’ll take my chances at the boarder as I’m sure they are looking for Canadians who are smuggling lawn weed spray across (they banned this in Ontario a couple of years ago). I’ve been using my boiling water to kill weeds on my lawn so it’s all related :-k Funny I can buy the really poisonous alcohol but not the one I can use in my stove. I agree with you the Iso was a terrible fuel very dirty and hot tall flame. The Methyl Hydrate was a much better flame; blue and very hot to the hand test (very scientific you know.. :roll: ) but yha not sure I would roast marshmallows with that fuel. A work friend and I will be making penny stoves with aluminum bottles and I need a fuel that’s clean and safe. Someone pointed out it’s principally wrong to burn that 151 rum and I agree don’t think I’ll be back to Dominican republic any time soon to replace my last two bottles.

As far as taising it wow... but i guess a trained tounge can tell the right mix

6. ke6ziu United States

I want one of these!!! Anyone here want to part with one?

7. goldwinger11

goldwinger11 United States Subscriber

My new to me Turm Sport. Wish I could date it. The tank has instructions embossed in German. I’m using the Kleen Strip denatured alcohol. I thought I was the only one with sooting issues from my alcohol stoves. Oh for a bottle of methylated spirits.

BDAF1A9D-02E1-42A1-831D-46DAB4564261.jpeg

9DA0BD6B-1325-4502-A3A5-08FDFF22BC85.jpeg

D72596EC-6725-46C1-945C-C50449A04138.jpeg

32F3E554-9626-4C17-951F-EB3CB80710AF.jpeg

8. Harder D. Soerensen

Harder D. Soerensen Denmark Subscriber

I inherited one from my father. The stove haven’t been lightend before tonight in app 30 years. And it just worked :thumbup:
    Two questions:
    1: I can’t get nearly the flames shown here - just (hot) simmering blue flames —> How can I get more/hotter flames out of it?

2: where can I find a “turn-handle” for this old stove? - it has gone missing for long time since.

Best of flames to you all

9. goldwinger11

My Turm Sport also had a puny blue flame. I carefully cleaned the vaporizing wick and that did the trick. I have found that when a pot sits on top of the burner, the extra heat on the burner causes a larger flame.

10. Doc Mark

Doc Mark United States Subscriber

Evening, @Harder D. Soerensen ,

Many long years ago, I tried to fire up one of my Turm-Sport stoves, and it steadfastly refused to run with the gusto it should have enjoyed. Finally, I broke it down to it's parts, and sure enough, in the fuel line, was the mummified body of some sort of large spider, and the thick, sticky web that it had created!! After cleaning out that former resident, I was amazed by the strong, very blue flame, my Turm-Sport immediately had!!

Here are a few photos of where I found my "Creature from the Fuel Lagoon", and how the stove ran after I'd removed the corpse, and cleaned out the tomb (fuel line):

DSCN1896.JPG

DSCN1895.JPG

And, how things ran, once the corpse and web had been removed:

DSCN1900.JPG

DSCN1901.JPG

DSCN1902.JPG

Look, carefully, inside he fuel access tube that leads directly to your burner, and you might be surprised at what you find in there. Good luck, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

11. Harder D. Soerensen

What an experience!

I know from previous attemps to remove this kind of rusty wicks, that it can be a bitch to get out. Hopefully I’ll only find a rusty wick and not something related to Aliens & Predators!

I know my father has used it during his boyscout- and youth-years, so I am willing to throw in the time needed to get it going.
    I’ll definately send you an update when it is running - or “it shall sleep with the fishes”!

12. Harder D. Soerensen

5D4E3899-EA9A-4CD4-899D-910DD72DBBD5.jpeg

373A6FBA-61D9-4932-8C1E-07954FF2D5AB.jpeg

52F34704-65E3-477D-AD60-ABF89B9D2B0B.jpeg

As promised above - here are the results so far with my fathers old Turm.
    After reading @Doc Mark horror story above - I took my burner tube apart. This last sentence took a whole evening - see pics.

One of the tools used which was particularly well designed was the cable clamp. With that I could sloooowly dig out the old wedge. On one of the pics you can see what was left of the original twisted wire - app 1/3.
    Made a new wedge out of a glass fiber mat (Advice: do wear gloves when working, cutting and twisting raw glass fiber!!), and put it together. Now it works fine.
    You can see my interim handle. I hope to find an original some time.
    Cheers

13. Doc Mark

Doc Mark United States Subscriber

@Harder D. Soerensen ,

Thanks for alerting me to this post! Well done, Sir! Yes, sometimes it's a real "PITA" to remove disintegrated wicks, and rusted parts. But, as you have shown, it's well worth your time, and you did a great job in returning this neat little Turm to it's former glory!! Thanks for sharing, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

14. goldwinger11

Wow! you have a nice blue flame there. Should give you years more service.