Turm sport question

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Andy t, Nov 25, 2016.

1. Andy t

Andy t Subscriber

Ive recently purchased a turm sport stove, its in almost new condition, never been fired up. Also came with instructions and in its original box, both as new. My question is in this condition is it worth leaving it as it is, is it rare or commonplace, and would trying it out lose a lot of value ? Thanks for any help.

2. snwcmpr

snwcmpr SotM Winner Subscriber

Rare to me.

3. z1ulike

z1ulike United States SotM Winner Subscriber

I'm sure there are not many unfired Turm Sports out there so it's fairly rare. However, people collecting unfired alcohol stoves are equally rare. Something is only worth what someone else is willing to pay. With so few collectors, firing it up probably won't make much difference. My guess is that it might lose $20-$50 in value but that's about it.

Ben

4. janders

janders Subscriber

Depends a bit on which version of Turm sport you have - Old or "New".

5. OMC

OMC United States Subscriber

Age old question leave it a virgin of fire it up and your question more specifically re dollar value.
    It will lose value.
    The almost like new in box w/instructions is rare = more dollar value.
    Rarity of your stove... ?
    Re value, for me, it's rarity is also a main factor. You may have reviewed turm sports in the gallery, there are maybe 11. Boston terrier's "older version", may be older? but also seems to be less rare (I have 1 fwiw) that is, if i use the samples in our gallery as our guide to it's rarity.
    YOURS, if it happens to be of that vintage, we will like to see the box, as none in gallery (of that vintage) have their box.
    IF you happened to oblige and add pics... if any stovie has any unfired stove they really should capture images of it before firing it up. Such images of like new stoves, if posted, are nice to see and can be very helpful reference. thx omc

Last edited: Nov 25, 2016
  6. Caveman

Wow! Drool! I am impressed that such a grail exists and that it has fallen into safe hands.
    For the sake of preserving a rare breed I am prepared to continue collecting unfired alcohol stoves. I actually only have specimens that have been rolled, bowled and fire balled:( I would like, very much, to find unfired ones as well. I would encourage you to find several well used Turms, fettle them to safe functioning, or completely restore them, then use them every day to make coffee:lol:
    And of course post lots of photos (hint)!
    Cheers
    B

7. Andy t

Andy t Subscriber

Unfortunately I think its the newer version. The only blemishes are small rust spots on the lid.

IMG_20161125_180816.jpg

IMG_20161125_180726.jpg

8. Andy t

Andy t Subscriber

I'd appreciate any information about this stove as well please such as approximate age.

9. OMC

OMC United States Subscriber

1970 ? c70s
    thx omc

10. snwcmpr

Sweet.
    My vote:
    Keep it unfired, find someone that wants it, and find one to use. Use the extra money for something else.
    I collect unfired stoves. I have the same stove, fired, that I use when I want.

Ken in NC

11. Andy t

Andy t Subscriber

Just bought another ........one that's seen a bit of life shall we say. I'll put this one away until i decide what to do with it. I am leaning towards selling it. I think I'd rather have a stove to use. Thanks for all your help.

12. snwcmpr

13. ArchMc

ArchMc SotM Winner Subscriber

It would be nice if you could post some hi-res photos of the box, instructions, and decal. That way folks restoring "more used" stoves could use those (especially the decal) as templates.

....Arch

14. Andy t

Andy t Subscriber

Thank you for the reply and idea Arch. I'll see what I can do.

15. Sketchmakecreate

I have a turm sport my self but mine was in bad condition so I restored it. I might be in the market for a new one have you got a price in mind?