Turner Brass Works Western Auto Supply Co. stove

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Daryl, Dec 4, 2020.

1. Daryl

Daryl United States Subscriber

Wanting to post correct info about this stove in library but mine is missing name badge. Looks like the
    X-140 , 1161 and 161 which are very similar. Mine has red and black wagon wheel knobs, single eye generator pre-heat hole, neat little burner storage clip and generator has nut the hold it in place on burner.
    Looks very much like @Roustabout X-140. After oiling pump leather and replace fill seal it fired right up.
    100_6772.JPG 100_6773.JPG 100_6774.JPG 100_6775.JPG 100_6775.JPG 100_6777.JPG 100_6780.JPG

2. Daryl

Also found a Truner G2 with slimmer looking blood lines. Could it be Truner Brass Works changed the whole model number the same way Coleman added letters to there models as changes were made year to year? Really leaning towards X-140 identical to Roustabout's NIB x-140 in the stove library (first page american/other). Mine measures 17-1/2x10-1/4x4-3/4 inches and is heavy for its size. Fold over strap legs Thanks in advance

3. OMC

OMC Subscriber

@Daryl I do not have any insight into Turner's model # scheme. I confess I have not looked beyond your "Looks like the X-140 , 1161 and 161" . I would say +1 except actually, I've not yet seen a 161. Can you point us to a 161 example?
    Another factor, re model scheme is that they made stoves that were rebadged.

Re yours vs Turner NOS (Western Field) X-140 vs Turner 1161 .
    Just thinking out loud here:
    Having looked at the 2 (as you have), absent labeling / packaging I see zero physical difference between those 2.
    Barring a revelation to the contrary it sure seems they were both made at the Turner factory and from the same model production run (identical until badged/labeled and packaged).

Re yours, I'm wondering if yours might be a better match to the 1161. My only reasoning being: the labeling & packaging.

Roustabouts (rebadged, I presume) X-140 has X-140 model on the badge, on the instructions and on the box.
    It is NOS and it does not have the Turner logo / label inside the lid.

The 1161 does have the Turner logo / label inside the lid.
    Yours does have at least the residual outline of the same Turner logo / label inside the lid.

Thanks so much for posting it and sharing the observations, well done.
    ---------
    edit related, I'll add this link to No. 1111 for another FYI as it's not in gallery, iirc.

PS at time of this posting my avatar is a brass "Turner Brass Works" logo. Avatar is chosen for being a maker of classic camp stoves (and blowtorches) in my home region (avatar chosen based on geography). I have not extensively researched the company or products.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2020
  4. z1ulike

z1ulike United States SotM Winner Subscriber

Nice stove but where's the flame shot?

Ben

5. Daryl

6. Daryl

@OMC type in 'turner 161' in the search and view curtb's post Aug 2019 showing his 161 with decal also. Your a great detective with sharp eyes to see the residual decal and I understand why you are leaning toward the 1161 with sticker and not the 141 no sticker. I guess stranger things have happened in the way companies might No. things. Now that the 161 has decal also is it a coin toss? Thank you for sharing your time and knowledge with us on this site. Thanks Daryl

7. OMC

OMC Subscriber

If i get this, you're thinking, a toss up between 161 & 1161.
    Plenty stoves minus label would be not known 100%, being a toss up between various models.

I did just spy on yours and the 1161 the right side drops lower (to accept tank)? vs left side.
    Is that what it looks like to you.
    The 161 looks different in that regard, you think?
    (Exact tank positioning may also differ, one more forward than the other?)

If that makes sense we're with the 1161? You'll have to compare, i gotta run.

8. Daryl

@OMC keen eye again. Mine does have the drop side like the 1161. One thing I did see is snwcmpr's 1161 has two eyes on main burner and mine has single eye. Like you said without badge cant be 100%. About your avatar, Turner Brass Work did bring world wide attention to that part of Illinois. thanks again for your time. Will get some better pictures before posting in library. Here are two shots of it burning, like most two burners secondary burner steals power from the main. Daryl
    100_6790.JPG 100_6792.JPG