Turner Stove Question

Discussion in 'Mystery Stoves' started by ksuav8r, Aug 22, 2010.

1. ksuav8r

I'm considering purchasing this stove. However, internet search results have yielded little information about this company or this stove.

Are there any date codes/stamps on this stove and where?

How rare are they?

Any other info you can offer would really help!!! 1282506427-Turner_stove.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  2. Matukat

Matukat Subscriber

I doubt they are "rare". It looks like it's a propane fuel stove, which means it's not rare or "classic" really. Use it when you go car camping!

3. flivver

flivver United States Subscriber

Doubt it's the same company but Turner stoves made by Turner Brassworks date to the early 1920's. Mike...

4. toonsgt

I believe that Turner was formally Turner Brass Works. They made lots of gasoline powered burners including stoves and industrial gas appliances such as blow torches and lead melting furnaces used by plumbers and others. They always were of good quality in as far my experience. Heavy, well made stuff. When propane took off in the 1960s they continued to provide the same stuff only now propane powered. It was Turner and Bernzomatic(Otto Bernz, I believe) at the top of the food chain in the U.S. I believe they were both gobbled up in corporate mergers and owned by the same company eventually. Turner and Bernzomatic are now essentially the same. I've seen the exact same models of their torches(TS 4000 and 8000) branded under different names in the UK also. Probably all made in China. Not nearly as sturdy as the old stuff, as with most products today.

That stove is very reliable and easy to use. Not much to go wrong with it, really. It's better quality than any propane stove on the market today. So enjoy it.

Mike

5. bajabum

bajabum R.I.P.

Turner Brass Works also made Steam Whistles!
    I have one of their 'Three Chime' models, in the garage...somewhere.
    Probably from a sawmill.

6. ksuav8r

Thanks for the info everyone. When I was searching for info about the stove, this website seemed to have the largest and most useful posts of any of them.

Personally, I prefer the liquid fuel stoves, but I'm a sucker for anything pre-1970.

Some of the ads that I've seen date to 1963, and the graphics on the box look to be that way as well.

Any idea of where a date code might be? I'm going to look at it Tuesday. I'll do some searching.

7. ksuav8r

I just picked it up today. $17. It is a Turner Corporation LP-3000. It has barely been used and only a small rust spot where some grease must have fallen.

The big label was taped on but supposedly came off the original box. All of the directions and labels are there.

The only thing that troubles me is that there aren't any stamps or hard markings anywhere on it. Also, there's almost no information via google.

I'm expecting some literature from the Sycamore Illinois Historical Museum in a few days. I suspect what they'll have will be some of the early Turner stuff circa 1930s.

Anyhow, it works great and hooks right up to a propane cylinder. Additionally, the cylinder and the hose store right inside.

The metal isn't very thick, but I think they were going for lightweight. With 1 or 2 cylinders inside this thing would get pretty heavy.

For a $17 working stove though, I can't really complain.

8. DAVE GIBSON

DAVE GIBSON Subscriber

post a photo of it burning and cooking something!!

9. ksuav8r

Let me clean up the grates and burners a little bit so that it looks brand new first.

Is water considered cooking???

10. Bom Bom Bom Bom

No - water isn't considered proper cooking as you can't burn it :lol: :lol: :lol:

11. ksuav8r

So how do I post a link and/or html code to embed the images on here???

12. geeves

geeves New Zealand Subscriber

When you click reply you find below the text box a link labelled "upload images or files". Click on this and follow the instructions. There is a size limit and the site does not allow hotlinking to outside pictures as they frequently disappear over time

13. ksuav8r

Here are the pics. 1283110942-012.JPG 1283110951-008.JPG 1283110960-009.JPG 1283110971-016.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  14. toonsgt

That's purdy!! Simple design, easy to take care of as well. LOVE the paint!!

Mike