1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Two stoves, a puzzle and a new fettler is made

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by BarnacleBill, Nov 13, 2017 at 2:09 PM.

1. BarnacleBill Australia

Hey guys and gals,
    Just self indulgently wanted to share my two finds and beginnings in stove spotting. My first buy was this Lux No 01 I spotted in a stall by the roadside. Something about it spoke to everything I like, camping, stoves, old brass things.

20171113_160640.jpg

So 20 bob and it was off home. Couldn't figure out how to work it so it got a clean up and put in the brass things shelf to figure out latter. I eventually learnt that whatever it was stuck on top it was not a burner cap. I figure if anyone can tell me if its a real something or just some flotsam that got stuck on there in its journey it would be you guys.

20171113_160659.jpg

My next find was a Valor No 55 in a garage sale. I learnt a lovely story about the the father of the lady selling it who originally owned the stove and she let me have it for free after my partner had picked a few other things from her stall.

20171113_160822.jpg

Being a bit new and with a great story i was determined to get it working. This one was also missing its burner cap. So a good wack with some basso, some citric acid and seasoning the plate holder after a vinegar bath. I ordered a full burner from India as it seemed the cheapest way to get a burner cap and now I have some spare parts.

20171113_160910.jpg

I wouldn't say the quality was great but it cost seven dollars so hey, easy peasy.

Nothing is worth doing without a trial so on with some scrambled eggs.

20171114_001721.jpg

Aaaand not bad at all. I think I'll quite enjoy this fettling idea, and the smell of burnt kerosene sure does remind me of sailing with my dad as a kid.

20171114_002153.jpg

2. BarnacleBill Australia

Oh hey. I almost forgot. The Valor came with the original pamphlet. I'll have to figure out where it belongs and post it up in the reference library.

20171114_011625.jpg

20171114_011616.jpg

3. OMC

OMC United States Subscriber

Bill,
    "Welcome!" , yes a warm welcome to you (as warm as your breakfast, and now I'm hungry!). Excellent first post, wow.
    I also thank you so much for posting an interesting Lux stove.

You're right thinking that piece atop the burner does not belong to that stove (nor any other stove as far as I know).

Might I trouble you to look closely at the bottom of your Lux No.1 and tell us if you can make out a round maker's mark including a circle of text "AKT.BOL.LUX Stockholm". You may need magnifier and bright light.
    thanks again omc

tag @BarnacleBill

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017 at 4:32 PM
  4. presscall

presscall United Kingdom Subscriber

Welcome BB. I think you’ve summed it up well. It’s not a stove component I recognise. Grease cap for a car wheel hub?

John

5. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

@BarnacleBill

Good first venture into stoving!

The flotsam looks a bit like a small pie dish...

The Lux is quite a find. Can you post a few more photos of its stamping and the burner. If the burner takes an ordinary outer cap, that should be easy to repalace.

Cheers

Tony

6. hikerduane

hikerduane United States Subscriber

Welcome. I really like my Valor, runs nice, not a looker like yours.
    Duane

7. ROBBO55

ROBBO55 Subscriber

G'day @BarnacleBill and welcome.
    Two nice stoves and as has been said the Lux is hard to find, especially this far south.
    Outer burner caps are easy to come by without buying whole burners. And the threads on some of the Indian productions are not compatible with the old stoves (as spares).
    Go easy on the Braso. The ammonia in it can react with the brass and cause stress cracks.. Autosol is a commonly used alternative.

Now go find another one :lol:

8. BarnacleBill Australia

@OMC @Tony Press Try as i might I cant seem to make out anything deliberate from the scratches inside the bottom label. There is an errant T stamped just to the side. Makes me think a T someone might have owned the stove and wanted to keep it that way. Looking through some others on this site, they all do seem to have a code stamped there s's and r's etc?
    My best translation of люксъ акционерное общество люксъ стокгоьмъ швец я came out as "lux joint-stock company lux stockholm shavts i".
    Any-who enjoy the photos. And if anyone has an interesting tid bit to comment i'de love to hear it!
    @presscall Now that you've said it, it seems so obvious. I think you win the prize on that one.
    @hikerduane I really do hesitate to go scrubbing old patina but then i do a little bit and i just cant help myself until every spot is done into inches of its life. It's a flaw, ill work on it.
    20171114_222816.jpg 20171114_222851.jpg 20171114_222910.jpg 20171114_222925.jpg 20171114_222937.jpg 20171114_222714.jpg 20171114_222810.jpg

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017 at 12:11 PM
  9. BarnacleBill Australia

@ROBBO55 Oh thanks for the heads up I'll have to switch. I would've just assumed that something that called itself brasso would be okay. I feel foolish now for taking a company at its word and not doing my research. Oh well they'll get the best of us every now and again. My other move is to seal things with bees wax or WD40? Yay/nay?

10. OMC

OMC United States Subscriber

Hello Bill,
    You've exceeded any expectations and continue to impress, I thank you for time and effort put forth with your latest post and images to compliment your OP (especially being new to the site, wow) :thumbup:.
    thanks again omc

11. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

@BarnacleBill

Thanks for the additional photos. They should keep our Lux experts busy for a bit.

Don’t worry too much about the Brasso - one off will be fine, but many around here, me included, use Autosol when we have to polish.

If you don’t want to use a lacquer or clear coat over your shiny tank, use bees wax or car wax.

Cheers

Tony

12. ROBBO55

ROBBO55 Subscriber

G'day @BarnacleBill
    I use beeswax to finish most of my projects. It protects the finish and dust doesn't stick to it. The brass will develop a patina over time.