Tyers No.3 plumber's paraffin furnace

Discussion in 'Other Brands' started by presscall, Jun 13, 2014.

1. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

Cheers Brian, Ian, David.

Thanks very much for the heads up on that tar bucket Ian, and for the offer to collect it for me David, but I'll pass on the offer.

Busted though it may be, the bucket I've got is a Tyers brand at least and has earned a noble retirement, occasionally to be reunited with its furnace for a photo call to relive the good old days.

For myself, if I were thinking of eking out the pension one day with a bit of tarmacing of neighbours drives a new bucket would be a good investment, but it's not my twilight years career of choice to be honest.

John

2. presscall

A note about dating the furnace.

UK design 'Registered Numbers' give the date for the design of this Tyers (that's the date when the design was registered, which could be some years before date of manufacture) as 1946 for Reg. No. 846249 - stamped on the top of the fuel tank

1403368108-58.JPG

1403368121-59.JPG

John

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  3. Martina 745

An excellent piece John. Many thanks. I have the vertical version which I would like information on. There seems to be nothing on the web apart from your work here.

Martina 745. Thank You.

4. presscall

@Martina 745
    Welcome to CCS and thanks for your feedback.

Ah yes, the 'vertical' version. This one (which I expect is like yours) sold on ebay a while back. Clearly just a rearranged format of the same essential set of parts. Other than the photos, I've no documentary information on this version. Restoring it will be no different from the 'horizontal' type - there's a removable pump with a non-return valve installed in the end of it, evidently; a fuel filler cap washer might need replacing; a jet to remove, clean, replace. Operating procedure's just the same - 2/3 fill fuel tank with paraffin; prime with meths; pressurise tank with pump while meths is still burning but nearly consumed - done!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Looking at those photos I've just added it's hard to get an idea of scale/size but I think it may well be closer to the No.3 in terms of size and output than it is to my No.2 Tyers which is smaller than the No.3.

6.JPG

Vertical pattern furnaces are often seen, such as this Turner (USA manufacturer)

4.jpg

... or a Primus

5.jpg

John

5. Martina 745

Many thanks Indeed John. Thanks also for your words of welcome here.
    Your photographs are bang on, this is indeed the model type I own. The Portable Furnace (Nottingham) Size No. 10P Royal Standard. I will post a picture up of it here no sooner I get a chance to. You may be able to offer a little advice regards the resealing of the cock shaft. On getting my model up and running, I quickly established air pressure was leaking from this shaft. Upon investigation I noted a cord type seal was originally used. Any advice regarding replacement of this seal and what material to use would be gratefully received. Thank You so Much.
    Martina745.

6. presscall

'Fuel cock' or control valve spindle seal I'm supposing you mean. Was the loss of air pressure accompanied by a leakage of fuel?

You know, it's not something I've needed to replace and I'll need to explore one of the Tyers to investigate and get back to you.

In a more paraffin and gasoline stoves with a regulated burner the seal is compressed graphite, but you mention 'cord'.

I'll report back on what I find in my Tyers, but meanwhile try tightening up the packing nut. Not so much to nearly lock the control movement or make it impossibly stiff to operate, but back it off from that sufficiently to stop the leak (hopefully) and maintain ease of control.

7. Martina 745

Thank You so much for taking the time to reply to me once again. It has been a long time since I last took a look at the Tyer's. I do remember tightening the nut in the hope of sealing the shaft but it was to no avail as I recall. I do believe I was unable to repack this material correctly and simply abandoned the thing at the time. Fuel cock shaft it is I believe. I will take a picture or two later Today and hope to upload them here. Lovely weather Today so no excuse not to get the thing out of my shed. Mush appreciated John. Martina745.

8. Sdarmstrong

Sdarmstrong Subscriber

Hi
    I’m currently restoring one of these. The nrv is actually broken off on it . Any idea where I’d get one ?

9. presscall

@Sdarmstrong
    I’ve not come across a source for old stock spares. It would have taken a heck of a knock some time in its past to break off the NRV.

Solution would be to remove the stub of NRV in the pump tube and effect a silbrazed repair somehow.