UK Royal Mail and "dangerous items"

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Dean, Oct 16, 2020.

1. Dean

Dean United Kingdom Subscriber

I know this has been spoken of before and am aware of Harder's advice re labelling for international shipping, but thought I would drag it up again as it seems RM's policy may have changed or may be being more stringently enforced.

I use a local sub Post Office where I can - the owner has a vested interest in his business and is always helpful, I can leave my bike outside unlocked and the queues tend to be shorter! We are not quite on first name terms but I am known there as I sometimes have awkward items or bulky or heavy things to drop off. I was in there this morning with some cycle spanners going Stateside and while I was doing the customs dec he came across and spoke to me. He asked whether I had recently sent a lamp or lighter and I said no. I reminded him of the lamp I had tried to send to the Far East a few months back, only to take it back home and cancel my sale as they had told me it would be destroyed en route (despite clear labelling).
    He went on to say that RM (the postal service, not the Samuel Heath brand!) would not now accept any stoves, lamps, lighters or similar contraptions, regardless of whether they were void of fuel, cleaned out or even never been fuelled. He said he had had a report of one that had been sent (presumably from his sub PO) and I guess he wondered if I had been the sender as it is the kind of thing I might sell.
    I asked whether it only related to international shipping and was told it was any shipping, including inland.

I thought I would mention it on here a) to find out whether others have come across this policy recently, and b) to make potential buyers and sellers anywhere in the world aware that if the shipping involves UK Royal Mail at any stage, there would seem to be a strong possibility that the item may not get delivered.

Is there anyone on this forum who works for RM and is able to explain what might have happened? I'd be interested to know.

Regards
    Dean

2. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

Enforcement of policy better? People still ship with some fuel, have even received items with enough fuel in them and pressure to fire up without me touching it, although usually if no fuel, still residue that could be shaken out.
    Duane

3. Dean

Yes, me too, on more than one occasion. I have even had stoves delivered with petrol in them or leaking fuel into the packaging through defective seals. It is hard to believe how stupid or careless some people can be. UKRM seems to think all its customers have the potential to be that careless.
    Dean

4. Duck

Duck United States Subscriber

Does this also pertain to parts? If you disassemble the lamp/stove and label it as parts can you ship it?

5. Dean

I have absolutely no idea! Looking through the RM web page for prohibited items there is no specific reference to paraffin stoves or similar paraffinalia. However, if the concern is related to flammable vapour or fuel, then logic would suggest that a tank or a burner might hold residues of fuel to the same extent as a made up or dismantled stove. A stove minus its flame ring or pot stand legs would carry absolutely the same level of danger as a full stove. However, the less it looked like a stove, the less someone might notice it and be alarmed by it.
    Dean

6. Twoberth

Twoberth United Kingdom Subscriber

I have been using RM for international shipping of stoves regularly for the last three years (maybe 30-40 stoves). The most recent have been three in the last month and I have never had one not delivered. Make sure they are cleaned, rinsed and dried and in pieces, and don’t label them stoves.

7. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

I get nervous every time I await shipping of a rare stove from the UK.
    Duane

8. Doc Mark

Doc Mark SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi, Guys,

I'm very worried about all this! I have been holding onto a half dozen things that I want to ship overseas, and have been reluctant to do so, due to worry that these items will not be delivered in the UK, or other Countries, including those in the Scandinavia area! I fear that these sorts of enforcement issues may spell the end of our sharing with fellow Stovies, and Lampies, the World over! What is the consensus on this, Folks? I'd appreciate hearing from members all over the World, as to how things are in their Countries, for shipping, or receiving stoves, lamps, etc.. Until things seem safe, I continue to hold onto things that should have gone to fellow Stovies in other Countries. Weird times, in which we live.

Doc

9. Sedgman

Sedgman Subscriber

In Jan 2018 I had a gas iron, made by Tilley, stopped midway through some Global Shipping Program because it was a 'Restricted Item'. I got a full refund and the seller got his money, but I would have liked the iron. [-( The item was being shipped from England and had been purchased through Ebay.

Tilley Gas Iron.jpg

Maybe it was because it ran on gas once. Anyway it makes me worry about purchases from the UK, though I have purchased stoves, blowlamps and lanterns from the UK, Estonia, Germany and other parts of Europe with no worries before or since.

Within Australia I, like @Dean, have had a lantern turn up with 'possibly cleaning liquid' still in it. ;)

Stay safe, COVID wise that is.

10. frg7700

frg7700 Subscriber

I cannot find a single GB based supplier who will post me a LiFePo4 battery, yet I can buy them from a company I have an account with in California and get them in just about a week (with related costs obviously). And they're not being delivered illegally either, customs declaration and hazard card both clearly state the contents. You probably don't want to get me started on spray paint. :p

11. Duck

Duck United States Subscriber

I just purchased a Tilly lantern. Its coming from London. It so far has made its way to San Francisco so I should get it soon. The person I bought it from I asume is in the military because the tracking info gives an APO address and was shipped USPS. So maybe the secret would be make friends with a US military man to post gpa for you. Just a thought.

12. Marc

Marc Subscriber

Royal Mail isn't the only shipper. Has anyone costed out using any of the other services?

13. Twoberth

Twoberth United Kingdom Subscriber

I have used My Hermes and Parcels2go. They are both similar price to RM for international airfreight. P2G ‘lost’ a stove I sent going to South Africa and it took months to get a refund. I don’t use them anymore.

It is like any other service, you stay with the one you are comfortable with. I like RM because I haven’t yet had a problem.

14. Harder D. Soerensen

Harder D. Soerensen Denmark Subscriber

I have mostly dreadful experiences with Hermes and P2G - They usually “forget” to tell you, that your parcel is waiting for you at your local post Office —> Its returned to sender after two-three weeks. Their tracking info is also very unprecise and rarely correct in status of the parcels whereabouts.
    In Hermes case - I have three confirmed mails from their Customer Service - that they’ll get back to me ASAP - I haven’t heard anything from them yet - going on 4 months now.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
  15. Harder D. Soerensen

Harder D. Soerensen Denmark Subscriber

I have (knock on wood) an unbroken score of 4-5 stoves/Lanterns shipped to CAN/USA which have all made it with my label attached outside on the box.