1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ultimus No.0 Traveller c.1920?

Discussion in 'France' started by igh371, Jan 3, 2017.

1. igh371

igh371 United Kingdom Subscriber

DSC05113.JPG
    An unusual specification '0' type stove in that this Ultimus model '0' is a 'traveller' version. There are plenty of 'traveler' No.1s, '5's and of course '00's but the '0' is not at all common as a 'traveller'. As with the Ultimus '9' traveller the general configuration of this '0' is very much on the lines of the pre-WW1 Optimus and Primus travellers. Indeed the burner fitted to this is an Optimus branded unit, which, like the rest of the stove appeared to have been only rarely, if ever, fired. Any uncertainty over its 'firing' status has now firmly resolved, however, by using it for this afternoon's brew:whistle:
    Dating poses a few issues. In many respects this shares so many features with the pre-WW1 models, but the burner is more c.1920 Optimus production. It is also worth noting that, as well as apparently having bought in this size of burner, other 'economy' measures seem to have been usage of an over size spirit, probably shared with the larger burner models, and the very very basic unusual pump cup assembly:
    DSC05110.JPG DSC05111.JPG DSC05112.JPG DSC05107.JPG

The travel tin and all other features of the stove, on the other hand, are good quality and nicely appointed. Note how the large pressure screw end holds the glass priming spirit bottle firmly in place:
    DSC05052.JPG DSC05053.JPG DSC05054.JPG DSC05103.JPG DSC05109.JPG DSC05104.JPG DSC05105.JPG DSC05106.JPG DSC05108.JPG DSC05115.JPG DSC05117.JPG

DSC05118.JPG

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
  2. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom Subscriber

3. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

@igh371

That's a fine stove, and a great traveling setup. :thumbup:

(I'm slowly working through my beaten up Primus No.0 to join the others here in the Gallery).

Cheers

Tony

4. OMC

OMC United States Subscriber

Ian,
    Thanks for posting another awesome OLD stove. You have this 0, you and Ross have No.9s, all 3: close in age collapsibles w/tin, all 3 cast trivets survived, wow.
    Can you share what approx. size is the 0? and the 9?
    These are nice stoves, I'm really liking their trivets.

Pardon drift, Kerophile thanks for link, that's the first I've seen of your slick No.20, i'm a sucker for discus tanks (it looks like a discus), fixed leg, approx. "2 pinter"... very nice.
    thx omc

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
  5. Rangie

Rangie Subscriber

@igh371 , great stove nicely presented!
    I haven't seen an Ultimus in the flesh yet.

Alec.

6. Doc Mark

Doc Mark United States Subscriber

Greetings, Ian,

That is a wonderful stove, and one from a company whose products we almost never see here in the US! That makes your having posted it here, a real treat for me, as I've never seen any Ultimus stove in the flesh, and not that many here at CCS! This stove looks to be very well designed, and made, and it's interesting that it has an Optimus burner. I wonder if Ultimus bought burners from Optimus, when needed, back then? Loved your comment about ending any concerns over firing this stove, by brewing up an afternoon cuppa!! Very funny, and much enjoyed! Also, I've never seen a thick, rectangular air screw, and would never have guessed that one function of such a design would be to hold the spirit can in place, when stored. Ingenius!

You have the "Midas Touch", when it comes to finding old, rare, and wonderful stoves, and I truly appreciate you sharing them all here!! Well done, Mate, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Mark

7. igh371

igh371 United Kingdom Subscriber

The spirit bottle which was not shown particularly well in the original photo selection:
    DSC05120.JPG

8. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator Subscriber

Looks like a poison bottle! :D