ULTRA-PRIMUS

Discussion in 'Other Models' started by optipri, Apr 7, 2021.

1. optipri

optipri Subscriber

I was a bit hesitant if I was going to post it in the French or Swedish section but after all it is a Primus so here it is.
    This stove caused me problems from the very beginning. The frame was broken at several spots during shipping, thought excellent packing. Cast iron is damned fragile.
    Fortunately a friend of mine was able to weld it together without any too much visible marks. Then I found that the special kind of drip tray, fitted between the legs and the frame, was totally rotten. A neighbour of mine tried to make a reproduction with the old as a pattern. It is fairly good but some measures are not the right.
    That gave me problem when I was going to assemble it. The legs didn't reach the frame so the screws was too short and had to be replaced. I had no countersunk so have to take what I find. Not looking optimal but good enough.
    This stove comes with 2 extra plates so by turning the trivets upside down you get a flat slab.
    Mine is from 1930 and there is another one here on the forum but without separate air release screws.
    A special promotion postcard was also made for this model.

Bo

IMG_20210407_130134.jpg IMG_20210407_130140.jpg IMG_20210407_130149.jpg IMG_20210407_130205.jpg IMG_20210407_130229.jpg IMG_20210407_130250.jpg IMG_20210407_130430.jpg

2. z1ulike

z1ulike United States SotM Winner Subscriber

You've done an outstanding restoration job Bo. I've had cast iron stove break during shipping as well. It's nice you could find someone to weld it back together so nicely. The drip pan you had made looks great even if it wasn't an exact fit. Also I don't think I've ever seen a stove with the flat diffusion plates. Great for slow simmering I'd imagine. The french do like their enamelled cast iron stovesl. Beautiful.

Ben

3. ROBBO55

ROBBO55 Subscriber

4. optipri

optipri Subscriber

Yesterday, when I was going to put this stove on a not existing shelf in my crowded display room, I made a surprising discovery.
    As usual I took a survey over some of the items just to imbibe the ambience. My eyes fell on a Primus 516 and I reacted immediately.
    For heavens sake, it is the same stove as the Ultra-Primus! Only the name in the casting differs.
    So now we can say that this deinitive is a genuine Primus but with frame casted in France of course.
    A rather smart idea, avoid shipping of the heavy parts and use local manufacturers making them instead. And also able to get a custom marking for the actual market. This was probably very common, especially in France. We have seen several Primus in local maded frames.

Bo

5. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

6. optipri

optipri Subscriber

Thank you for the link, I have miss that document. Very interesting.

Bo

7. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    This thread is a very good example of how the structure and functions of CCS and CPL assist research and discovery.

Excellent!

Tony