Un-used Optimus No.45K sold in the S. Korean market

Discussion in 'Optimus No:45' started by kerophile, Apr 10, 2018.

1. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi, here are some photos of a New Old Stock (NOS) Optimus No.45K which I acquired from Bryan Miller in 2004. He told be he had received it from a CCS member from S. Korea (Mr. Park).
    I remembered that I had the stove and thought that it was time to add some photos to the Ref. Gallery:

St.60-Op.45--5.jpg St.60-Op.45--6.jpg St.60-Op.45--7.jpg St.60-Op.45--8.jpg St.60-Op.45--9.jpg St.60-Op.45--10jpg.jpg St.60-Op.45--11.jpg St.60-Op.45--12.jpg St.60-Op.45--13.jpg St.60-Op.45--14.jpg St.60-Op.45--15.jpg St.60-Op.45--.20jpg.jpg St.60-Op.45--16.jpg St.60-Op.45--17.jpg St.60-Op.45--18.jpg St.60-Op.45--19.jpg St.60-Op.45--20.jpg St.60-Op.45--21.jpg St.60-Op.45--22.jpg St.60-Op.45--23.jpg St.60-Op.45--24.jpg St.60-Op.45-25.jpg St.60-Op.45--26 (2).jpg

2. kerophile

Hi, This is an interesting stove. I have posted some more detailed photos of the packaging (the Karton) here: https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/optimus-45k-purchased-in-s-korea.37759/

1. The stove has a self-adhesive logo for Optimus International attached to the side wall of the tank.

2. The paper bag which contains the stove legs and spanner is marked 011930.

3. The burner is marked Optimus Primus.

4. The flame ring is stamped SWEDEN -SWEDEN.

5. The tank base is stamped MADE IN SWEDEN.

6. The stove has the UPPLANDS VASBY multi-language statement on the tank top.

7. The pump has a steel shaft and the piston is of the "O-Ring" type.

8. The spirit-cup has a flat profile and is of the type used in the latter years of Optimus and Primus stove manufacture.

9. The stove has a recessed filler.

I wonder what date the stove was manufactured?

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.
    Best

3. Metropolitantrout

Metropolitantrout SotM Winner Subscriber

Very nice! Jerry

4. Pitsligo

Don't look at it too long: you could blind yourself, as bright and shiny as it is. ;)

More seriously, how typical is the carton? I have almost the identical packaging for an Op48; if it's unusual I should probably conserve it a bit better than I have been. :whistle:

Alex

5. kerophile

Hi @Pitsligo The majority of classic stoves were sold in the K format, where K = Karton, or cardboard box. The optional painted case could add significantly to the cost of your stove outfit, and was only really needed for stoves you intended to carry around with you.
    Cardboard boxes don't last very long so you tend to see more tin-plate cases surviving than Kartons. It is therefore useful to preserve these surviving Kartons, or at least to capture images for Sites such as CCS.

There is often additional useful information on Kartons, such as Company Name and model number at the time the particular stove was produced. If you get really lucky the manufacturer might have stamped a date, or date code, on the Karton. With makers such as Optimus and Sievert this is a real bonus as they did not date-code their stove bodies so any dating information is valuable to a collector.

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

6. Go Scout

@kerophile Wow George!

That is a really nice original stove - glad I don't own it. I'd be in a right torment not wanting to fire it up but on the other hand, desperately wanting to fire it up! Luckily for me, all mine are well used so the issue doesn't arise.

Baz

7. gideon

what a nice brass! you are happy man!

8. Pitsligo

Thank you, @kerophile. I'll have a closer look at the karton I have.

Alex

9. kerophile

Hi, Today I had a closer look at the carton of this stove to see what additional markings I could find:

On the inside of the side flap on the base of the carton I found a factory stamped number: 904759: 8C110D36-F494-453B-8DDA-3D477BD70DF2.jpeg

On the front label, in the corner I have the number: 904651:

9A67CF8E-5A0E-4A80-85E2-3495B9FABE29.jpeg

The instructions for use leaflet (Bruksanvisning) has the small number sequence: 90452 :

17D4AE77-50A1-4775-8288-FE623C15BC24.jpeg

I had thought that I might find some form of date code. However I believe that the three markings I have found are manufacturer’s parts numbers .

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

10. abbahco1

abbahco1 Subscriber

Hi George:

It's one of the very latest Optimus products as it has the same flat-bottomed spirit cup that I started to see around 1983 or so (same time as the Nos. 1 & 5 superscript 1 models appeared, with the airscrew integral with the filler cap. Those seem to have been made up to about 1986. Cheers, Peter

11. kerophile

Hi Peter @abbahco1 thank you your very helpful comments. These stoves with late features are a real challenge to understand and try to date.
    You think you have established a time-line for particular features on a stove model, then suddenly all bets are off and you are presented with a contradictory collection of parts.
    My brain hurts after a day or so thinking about it! @OMC

Best Regards,
    George.

12. kerophile

13. Scrambler

Scrambler Australia Subscriber

The dating by parts can be imprecise. With cameras (where serial numbers are the best answer) parts are recognised as inconsistent and the usual explanation is that with hand-built equipment you take parts from the top of the parts bin, but fill from the top before it empties. A few residual older parts will eventually show up and be used out of expected sequence. I could see this might also occur in closing down production: use every part in storage regardless of age.

14. OMC

OMC United States Subscriber

This 45 has been a head scratcher for quite some time (have a look, doesn't add up, give up, come back, repeat).
    +1 ... a time-line for particular features on a stove model, is established
    then something contradictory emerges.
    True in-general and still holds true here now. With that,
    Peter and I arrive at the similar dating estimate for this stove:
    mid 80s or later? (83, 84, 85, 86 or later) source that's currently my best effort.
    Peter suggesting approx. 83-86, i think. Consider the source he's probably right.
    --------------------------------------

90452 Instructions, red panel but large folded instructions, suggested here, in-use mid 60s - '93.

I support another look with No.1 superscript in-mind. I have 1 and reviewed those as well (may be head scratching there too).
    So, i'm good w/ the idea, myself just taking a break from it for now.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2021
  15. kerophile

I have just been looking at Superscript 1 stoves and they have burners marked Optimus Primus despite being 1980s stoves! Optimus must have had an awful lot of these earlier burners in their stores!

1980-85 Optimus No 5 (1)

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

16. Scrambler

Scrambler Australia Subscriber

@kerophile , the other possible item to pull out of stores would be the cast for Optimus Primus flame plates. Why invest in a new one when the "Sweden Sweden" cast wore or broke? I believe that the casts are expensive. Or as you say, maybe they had stored a lot, I just doubt that a little.

17. OMC

OMC United States Subscriber

i'm back like moth to flame.
    Re my "...I have 1 and reviewed those [superscript 1]..." i did some comparisons here with a kerophile example.
    kerophile, Right-on, i see what you mean, the very late use of OPTIMUS-PRIMUS roarer, now with 3 plus examples, this scoop "has legs" (it's a saying), going forward we will have to revise the 62ish to 70ish year range for that one. credit kerophile
    In my comparison thread,
    > don't quote me but at a glance it appears kerophile and Iani have vertical filler tube, mine earlier might not. Something i did not mention doing the comparison at the time.
    > in hindsight, Iani's filler cap makes sense now (and might not be in catalogs), and
    > my "ugly 1" is lost somewhere in the land of misfit stoves and not available for comment, : ( .
    --------------------

RE-DO, i post too for minor revision,
    Peter said "It's one of the very latest Optimus products as it has the same flat-bottomed spirit cup..."
    without double checking "how" I got to
    mid 80s or later? (83, 84, 85, 86 *or later)
    *i'm good.
    If it is near to the latest 45s, i'm open to after '86, the last 45 was offered in 96.

My impression, not just 45s, not just Optimus, the Optimus 45 had longest production run of all brass stoves. Of course true with many models, the design and the parts are nearly unchanged (i wish i knew 1st year, 191x to 1996) from the first version to the last version. STILL able to do what they were designed to do, 125 years on and counting.
    --------------------

Last edited: Sep 10, 2021
  18. abbahco1

abbahco1 Subscriber

Hi George:
    The reason I can date them is because I was still buying them new: Primus Trading AB up to around 1979 and then identical Optimus-labelled products; that is why I can pinpoint the actual year in many cases. By 1983-5 the "superscript" models appeared at places like Brandt's in Sydney and T.W. Sands in Melbourne. So much easier if they'd just dated them! I do recall the quality control dropping off in the very last years: the pump chambers were installed with simplified solder joints and the legs were much more crudely made, randomly bent in at the top and often misaligned. One No. 1 from around 1983 had a faulty bottom solder joint that leaked fuel the moment it was filled! I'd have bought my last no. 535 in 1981, and noted the nos. 154/155 appearing around the following year (I think). I left for the USA in 1987, and hadn't bought a stove for a couple of years (1984 was probably the final year).

However, your No. 45 looks like a good one! Nevertheless, even these late Optimus products seem like well-polished gems compared to the crap that's out there now!

Cheers,

P

Last edited: Sep 11, 2021
  19. kerophile

I have copied these comments from another thread. It helps to keep valuable input on the Korean language labels in this original thread:

Hello, I am sure it wasn't on the box from the production.
    Seems quite recent style Sticker, it might be stickered by a distributor in Korea.
    Not important, just fyi, it says
    <Product name>
    OPTIMUS 45

<Color>
    --- blank ---

<Size/Standard n.>
    FREE

Hi @Yun124 thank you for the the translation. Can you say whether you are referring to the “bar code” label on the Op.45 carton:
    [​IMG]

or this S.Korean label from the front of the carton:

[​IMG]

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

Hello @kerophile
    Yes referred this white one with a barcode.

[​IMG]
    For this one, herebelow;
    PRODUCT QUALITY DESCRIPTION
    *Product name: Outdoor (Mounteering) Stove
    *Fuel: Kerosene, Unleaded gasoline
    *Manufacturer: OPTIMUS Co. (Sweden)
    *Importer: DongJin (266-3493)
    *Cautions:
    1) Do not use indoor.
    2) Use Tools to assemble and disassemble.
    3) Warranty is valid from the store where you purchased it.

--- ---
    My comment - Unleaded Gasoline?! Hmm..
    266-3493 is the telephone number. Prefix 02 was not written...

[​IMG]

https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/random-thread-camp-stove-related.41946/page-5#post-507795