Unexpected gift - Burmos?

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Tron, Aug 17, 2019.

1. Tron

Tron Subscriber

I know, I should use "search", but I'll humbly ask for some answers directly, anyway. I was just today gifted a nice little half pint stove, says "Burmos" on the tin. The engraving on the tank is illegible, but I will soon take care of that.

I have read about these stoves on the forum several times, but never seen any in Norway before. There are some differences from the Høvik/Optimus/Primus stoves I am used too. Here is some pictures, with questions:

The tin, not to bad.

P1040805.JPG

The tank

P1040797.JPG

Burner with windshield. Strange looking thing with a screw/bolt in the burner head. I can not get the burner ring of, is it supposed to stick on the burner head? The windshield seems rusty, is it steel?

P1040799.JPG

I suppose this funny looking thing is for lighting the stove?

P1040800.JPG

There was even a Burmos pricker in the tin

P1040802.JPG

Pot stands and a wrench, a complete stove

P1040801.JPG

In the bottom of the tin was this strange looking thing, its a strong magnet of some kind, could look like a generator part, or is it related to the stove in any way? I can not see how.

P1040804.JPG

So, this is a little report of my unexpected acquisition of a Burmos stove, and some questions for the experts on this, I assume British, stove.

Kind regards
    Tron

Attached Files:

2. Lennart F Sweden

Burmos use to be british - and they use to have the access plug for the jet in middle of burner head.
    The "funny thing" is to have wide end in spirit cup and provide a pilot flame for lighting the burner several seconds after heating fuel is consumed.
    The windshield looks like Primus but may be Burmos and the magnet will just stick to any iron around and cause trouble to anyone trying to understand why it is there.

3. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi @Tron Yes you really should use the search function....but it is so much friendlier to ask.

Here is the same model I believe, a Burmos 21 dating from the mid-1950s if there are nice tank engravings, but slightly later if the tank is unmarked (they used stick-on labels)

Burmos 21 Early model (1950s?)

Later model here:

LATE UNUSED BOXED BURMOS 21

Burmos stoves were manufactured by Townson and Coxson.

The burner with the screw in its head is a Townson and Coxson patent intended to make it easier to access the burner nipple:

Burmos No.21

The flame spreader should not be captive on the burner head and with some patience and lubrication should ease off.

The funny looking thing is an “igniter” and can save you a match when lighting the burner after the priming fluid has burnt away. The lower part of the igniter, with a short wick, sits in the spirit cup and a small pilot-light appears at the top end, adjacent to the top of the flame spreader. This pilot light lasts slightly longer than the flame in the spirit cup itself, and ignites the burner when the the tank is pressurised.

Burmos: pilot lighter

The magnetic device is not part of the original stove outfit.

Good Luck with your stove.
    Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
  4. Tron

Tron Subscriber

Thank you for answering my questions, I cleaned it a little and it is indeed a Burmos 21. Cleaning the burner it looks like it may have a leak at the base of one of the burner tubes. Is it possible to seal the tube by brazing it?

Kind regards
    Tron

5. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    Tron

It can be fixed by brazing with silver solder.

Tony

@Tron

6. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

Hope your pump tube holds up....

7. Tron

Tron Subscriber

Weak pump tubes on these?

I took the NRV out, soaked it in Ed's red for some hours first, no problems. The NRV looked new, with a brass cup for the cork pip. I replaced it with a rubber pip. The pump cup was hard, like Bakelite. I struggled a little with the replacement, a leather cup of the "normal" size I would use for the likes of Primus 210, Høvik 41, but I made it work at last.

I pressurized and lit, then I got blue and yellow flames everywhere, one of the burner tubes have a leak at the base and there is a hole in the burner tube at the jet. I do not really know if I can braze that hole shut. Are these burners obtainable, like on ebay or something? I have never had a leaking burner before. Being a Land Rover owner I guess I should be well prepared for the delights of British manufacturing... :whistle:

Kind regards
    Tron

8. Tron

Tron Subscriber

By the way, mine is identical to the early model @kerophile linked to here, except I also have a hinged steel windshield, stamped "Burmos".

Kind regards
    Tron

9. Tony Press

Tron

Yes. The pump tubes on the Burmos are prone to cracking, and the burners are prone to twisting and cracking...

Tony

@Tron

10. Robert Bruce

Robert Bruce SotM Winner Subscriber

The cracking on the pump tube is I think caused by the end that holds the pip being too tight, ie shrunk on , a turn or two on a lathe fixes it ( now a running fit). I had a crack in the tube and soldered it from the outside then resoldered the tube in. All works now. Yes Burmos is prone to this but it is a easy fix.

Cheers
    Rob

11. Robert Bruce

Robert Bruce SotM Winner Subscriber

PS, British things are prone to leaking, I also have a Land Rover and a MG which also leak. I was once told to be carefull when a British car stops leaking. Because the thing has run out of oil ! (Superlatives have been removed)

Cheers
    Rob

12. Tony Press

I rode BSA motorbikes... Easy to find if stolen: just follow the oil drops.

Cheers

Tony

13. Marc

Marc Subscriber

Why don't the British build computers?

Couldn't figure out how to make them leak oil. :mrgreen:

14. Simes

Simes Subscriber

Once we get that cracked @Marc I'm sure you'll hear about it.

I'm sure someone is working on it as I type.

15. Marc

Marc Subscriber

16. IvanN

IvanN United States Subscriber

Harley’s don’t leak oil, they mark their territory,
    Ivan

17. Lennart F Sweden

Had a row of british cars and most of us in the local motorcycle club had british bikes in the 80's, it was at least daily oil check and some repair every second week.
    Now I drive my Opel Astra '98 at least 500km every week and my Yamaha Virago '93 usually 100-400km every weekend when the roads are ice-free - it happens frequently an oil level light turns on - shit! I forgot to check the engine last two months!:whistle:
    I know about british quality.
    You americans please divide km with 1.6 to get miles...

18. Simes

Simes Subscriber

@Marc found him, he's currently working on a version using ATF. :)

It'll be a bit big mind and probabably rather slow.

19. Tron

Tron Subscriber

My Land Rover actually does not leak oil anylonger, touch wood, after I replaced most of the seals in the engine. But it leaks water. INTO the car. I found that the right hand side floor, drivers side floor for most of us, simply had no sealant in the body seams. It was all sealed up along the passenger floor, but nothing on the drivers side. The guy at the factory responsible for that job simply went to the pub when the bell rang, wether he had finished the job or not....

Tron