Unigas Senior - another unloved gassie...

Discussion in 'Other Brands' started by David Shouksmith, Sep 20, 2010.

1. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith Subscriber

Presscall's mention of his Unigas (Bleuet clone) stove in this thread caused me to remember a stove I've been meaning to post for months... :oops:

No prizes for guessing it's a Unigas Senior:-
    1285017244-Unigas_-_Ready_for_use.jpg

1285092699-Unigas_-_from_above.jpg 1285017847-Unigas_General_view_-_packed.jpg 1285017904-Unigas_Burner_and_valve_detail.jpg 1285018026-Unigas_-_Upper_parts_-_burner_bell_detached.jpg 1285018053-Unigas_Base_detail.jpg 1285018082-Unigas_canister.jpg 1285018137-Unigas_-_Prickers.jpg 1285018174-Unigas_-_In_box.jpg

Image 1 shows a general view of the stove ready for lighting. The windshield is a thick aluminium casting which also adds rigidity to the pan supports.

Image 2 - shows a general view from above.

Image 3 shows the stove collapsed ready for packing away. The windshield is removed, the pan supports turn inward and the windshield is inverted and replaced.

Image 4 shows the upper parts of the stove.

Image 5 is a similar view with the burner bell removed to show the jet.

Image 6 shows the underside of the stove. Turning the baseplate releases it and allows the gas canister to be replaced.

Image 7 shows the spare pierceable gas canister. Anybody got (or even seen anywhere) the 'Yew Tree' stove?

Image 8 shows the prickers that came with the stove. Presumably these would only be necessary in the event of food spillages inside the burner bell. Note that the ship logo is the same as the one on John's Unigas.

Image 9 is a general view of the stove, spare gas canister and prickers in a home-made box which I need to get around to repairing. I'd had the stove months before I found the prickers and then only because I picked up the box and happened to touch them!

If this is the Unigas Senior, is John's Unigas Bleuet clone the Unigas Junior?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  2. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

I see the pricker packet has the same battleship logo as the image on that Unigas 'Junior' of mine.

Classy looking stove outfit, David.

No need to ever use that spare. The one in the stove will be refillable in situ - Gary (Redspeedster), Henrik (Chickenthief) as the adapter maestros - or this humble effort from me in the 'Frankies, mods, hybrids' forum

DON'T DO THIS AT HOME (well, not indoors anyway)

John

3. David Shouksmith

Thanks, John - you're a man of inestimable good taste so I was absolutely certain you'd be the one to see this stove as the zenith of engineering excellence and desirability it undoubtedly is... :clap:

The gas canister currently fitted seems hardly used, and after a tea-test tomorrow, the stove will be retired (apart from a very occasional run-out) so it may never need to be refilled. But it's nice to know that, between us, we have the ability to keep stoves such as this working for the foreseeable future. :D/

4. dan latimer

Hi guys im new to this forum and have just got the unigas senior. Any idea where I can get a cartridge? Cheers.

5. David Shouksmith

Almost certainly absolutely unobtainable anywhere in the world. If you've an empty cartridge then refill it as John shows in his link above - outside and with no naked flames anywhere near...

6. dan latimer

sad! I don't even have one to refill! please let me know if you ever see any for sale.

7. Rickybob United Kingdom Banned

these thing are like buses - you don't see one for ages and then three turn up at once

garlic2.jpg
    48 shillings - was that a lot? obviously less than a brassie

garlic3.jpg

8. Rickybob United Kingdom Banned

there was a distinct evolution of the base plate

garlic4.jpg
    also the valve wheel from metal to oddly smooth plastic

garlic5.jpg
    I would like to get one of these running on a modern cartridge - I can think of one or three ways around it