Unknown Oremus stove

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Sternenlicht, Sep 21, 2020.

1. Sternenlicht

Sternenlicht Subscriber

Dear all,

found this on an auction site. I will not buy it, because the seller doesn't ship. But anyhow it is an interesiting stove which seems to burn gasoline.

I'm wondering about that, because it looks like a kerosene stove with its regulation via pressure release.

Ciao, Bastian

1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG 4.JPG 5.JPG

2. Lennart F Sweden

It is made as kerosene stove but it can burn gasoline.

rcaf2.jpg

3. Sternenlicht

Sternenlicht Subscriber

Hej @Lennart F

Thanks for that document, but I think t describes a Primus 96. The stove above seems to be larger (2 pint (?)) and also has a SRV in the filler cap.

Ciao, Bastian

4. ArchMc

ArchMc Subscriber

That's a kerosene stove. There's no control valve except for the pressure release. If you have gasoline in it, the only way to regulate the flame will be to blow off pressure (which will be highly explosive gasoline vapor) a couple of inches from the burner flame. Highly dangerous to do that. That's a kerosene stove.

....Arch

5. Sternenlicht

Sternenlicht Subscriber

@ArchMc

Hej Arch,

I thought the same, but in the "Gebrauchsanweisung für Benzin Gaskocher" (last picture) you can read:

Jedes ungemischte Autobenzin ist zu verwenden.

Which means:

You can use each unmixed gasoline for cars.

Thats why I was wondering about it!

Ciao, Bastian

6. Lennart F Sweden

The photo I attached was just to show a similar type of stove with instruction telling about the possibility to use gasoline instead of kerosene.
    As the Oremus has the classic air valve that vents away from the burner it is less risky to use with gasoline than the Primus 96 in the RCAF instruction.

7. ArchMc

ArchMc Subscriber

Maybe less risky, but not that much less. It's still releasing gasoline vapor a couple inches from an open flame. It doesn't take that much vapor reaching the burner to flash back to the rest of it.

If you're going to do it, release pressure very slowly, warn others nearby, and be sure your insurance is up to date.

....Arch

8. Sternenlicht

Sternenlicht Subscriber

I never would do, but I've not always been familiar with thise stoves. I remember, one of my first questions at CCS was, if it's possible to burn gasoline in a 00.

Just wondering about that in the 'official' instructions.

Ciao, Bastian

9. Sternenlicht

Sternenlicht Subscriber

I never would do, but I've not always been familiar with these stoves. I remember, one of my first questions at CCS was, if it's possible to burn gasoline in a 00.

Just wondering about that in the 'official' instructions.

Ciao, Bastian

10. ArchMc

ArchMc Subscriber

I'm sure it was an early attempt at making a "multifuel" stove and, as stated by @Lennart F , it would be a lot safer with the vent pointed away from the flame (especially if also taking the steps suggested in the document he posted). Not safe enough that I would want to do it though.

It's an attractive and interesting stove. I would happily use it with kerosene. And the instructions saying it could be used with Autobenzin would remain an interesting side note.

....Arch

11. OMC

OMC Subscriber

Thank you Bastian,
    +1 on the attractive & intersdting, it is a wonderful piece. The seller may not ship but our membership covers nearly every country, a heads up for a local stovie could be a nice gesture (will not ship even ion same country?, no customs inspection or air travel).
    I've not seen an Oremus discus model ever before (as petrol or kero).
    I would like to see the tin, another piece also not yet seen.
    Might others be interested in approx. decade as well ? Or if the bottom is stamped "made in Germany"?

There are early petrol stoves that are less safe. Such examples should maybe come with a snuffer. One would snuff out or blow out the flame, then release pressure. Much less safe than most but imo this would have been worthy for store shelves as shown, no problem (and i would buy it!). Very interesting.

12. Sternenlicht

Sternenlicht Subscriber

Yes, it was written that he will not ship, even in the same country, germany in that case. But I contacted the seller and bought it a few minutes ago! When it arrives I will make an entry with better photos in the SRG!

Ciao, Bastian

13. ArchMc

ArchMc Subscriber

Great! I'd like to see it.

....Arch

14. OMC

OMC Subscriber

Bastian now has this example in hand and it has been posted in reference gallery :thumbup::thumbup:.

The reference post reintroduced a topic for discussion:
    "Maybe someone can help with the factory history or that special stove?"
    My impression, "...the factory..." refers to the factory where OREMUS stoves were manufactured.

I return discussion to this stove forum thread due to, I do NOT have a confirmed answer to add to the reference posting.

In 2016, 2017 I joined ongoing research of origins of "GK" which included OREMUS. Unfortunately, my findings were a set back for research (vs making progress).
    The result, where it left off, called into question, both:
    OREMUS a trade mark granted in 1923 to "Grebe & Kaftner from Dresden or
    OREMUS a trade mark granted in 1923 to "Grebe & Kästner from Dresden

I found that ^^^^ 1923 "G&K" reference in Dresden had no stove manufacturing connection (then & there). My comment, seeking clarification:
    " Absent link to 1923 patent reference there is:
    1930 Grebe & Kästner GmbH Arara- Spirituskocher, Danneberg
    ." source

There was no follow up in that link.
    Strictly as a guess, i would guess the OREMUS trademark granted in 1923 is less in-question. Absent new or renewed confirmation, I find it is the parent company name & location (for earliest OREMUS production), that remains unknown.
    ===========================

re physical details of the stove, now in hand:
    "The tank bottom is stamped with 'Made in germany', on tank surface you only find the word 'OREMUS' in large striped letters. No number."
    Without rechecking other examples the discus tank and saying on OREMUS on top/side is unique vs other OREMUS, IIRC.

"I'm not sure how long the brand Oremus existed, but I assume that is a very late stove made under this label."
    I've no guess as to this example early vs late (discus was in use pre WW1).
    "Later": multiple examples reflect mid 30s OREMUS (Lead up to WW2 may have put an end to brand?).
    "Early": points to stated "1923 trademark".
    Thanks to all contributors and good luck.
    tag @Sternenlicht

Last edited: Oct 4, 2020
  15. Sternenlicht

Sternenlicht Subscriber

Thanks for the interesiting informations @OMC !
    I will do some researches on "Grebe & Kästener" by myself.

Ciao, Bastian

16. OMC

OMC Subscriber

from my text above, the correction reads:
    ... the discus tank and saying only OREMUS on top/side is unique vs other OREMUS, IIRC.,

More re the now in hand details: although plain (maybe repainted) the tin is a larger version of tin used for Oremus 1 pinter.

Has "scale".. size, bit me in the arse again... your discus is the common 1 3/4 pint size (ie Op 45, Primus 51), correct? It is in a larger tin.

Here is an Arara 36.., I am thinking it is a 1 pinter. It shares several similarities with your Oremus (including petrol / gasoline option).
    ----------------------------------------------------------

Bastian, I see your
    1928 Dresden Grebe & Kästner G.m. b.H. input, a liquidation of that G&K, thank you.

The suggestion remains Melcher, Arara & Oremus have the G&K logo in common.
    It is not a stretch to consider probability that they came from same factory and some examples (different brand names) from the same assembly line.

Is the research status still:
    the Grebe & Kästner of Dresden is without a ref. to stove manufacturing?
    and that
    the name of (parent) company/factory and location, of early Arara, OREMUS remains open question?
    or has that been answered?
    I am at disadvantage not being familiar with language, business norms etc in post WW1 Germany.
    That and research of international patent (or trademark) filings has not been a strength of mine.
    views 325

Last edited: Oct 5, 2020
  17. Sternenlicht

Sternenlicht Subscriber

@OMC
    Thanks again for your answer! The link with the Arara 36 is quite interesting, as you said, it shares some similarities with my stove.
    Mine has the common size of Optimus 45, Anho 100 and other, so larger than the Arara 36, which seems to be a 1 pinter.

I know some people in Dresden, I will ask them about Grebe & Kästner, but that can take some time.

Ciao, Bastian

Last edited: Oct 5, 2020
  18. Sternenlicht

Sternenlicht Subscriber

IMG_20201005_195949.jpg

Size comparisson (left to right):
    2 pint: Primus No. 1
    1 3/4 pint: Anho 100
    XXX pint: Oremus*
    1 pint: Optimus 00
    1/2 pint: Primus 96

* it has not such a large tank as the Anho, so I guess it is not 1 3/4 pint.

Ciao, Bastian

19. OMC

OMC Subscriber

Superb line up.! Thank you.

Sure enough, I have been bit in the arse
    VERY interesting.
    Trevor is not around to back me up (or set me straight) but it's long been my impression the, on CCS so called, "discus" tank would be the
    1 3/4 pint
    Primus 215/16 100, 51, 54
    Optimus 100, 45, 48
    Svea 105, 106
    (that said, re: the earliest, some have big "belly" and greater than 1 3/4p capacity)
    Stiil, i think you get the point, most are the
    same approx. 1 3/4 pint capacity with
    same shape and proportions.

Your OREMUS is unique then again!
    A discus type, but different proportions and seems lesser capacity.
    Wow, i did not see that coming. Thanks again