Upper Midwest USA Stove Gathering, September 24-27

Discussion in 'Events & Meets' started by alanwenker, Mar 28, 2020.

1. alanwenker

alanwenker Subscriber

I am starting a new, "official," thread for the event I proposed earlier. Let's give this a shot and see where it goes.

Thursday, September 24 - Sunday, September 27

Location, Great River Bluffs State Park near Winona, Minnesota.

As with any plan at the moment, subject to COVID-19 subsiding by then allowing for travel to and from. Fall will be in the air and the bluff country in southeast Minnesota is quite beautiful any time of year. Time to burn gas, burn kero, eat, drink, and tell stories some of which may have basis in truth.

State Park website.
    https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/state_parks/park.html?id=spk00244#homepage

Follow the reservation link on the left side of the page. Fees are $7 plus $20/night. I think some amount of the fees are refundable if you cancel with enough notice.

I booked sites 16 and 18. At this point in time there are only two other sites reserved for that weekend. I have not been to this particular park so I am not familiar with the layout, my thought is we could book the sites in and around the bend in the campground and be in close proximity to each other.

https://files.dnr.state.mn.us/maps/state_parks/spk00244.pdf

2. Haggis

Haggis Subscriber

Sounds very good,,, About a 5 hour drive if we don’t stop any where, and Herself always wants to stop somewhere(s)...

3. Ian

Ian Subscriber

4. alanwenker

alanwenker Subscriber

Great idea. Probably too early in the season for fall color change, but so it goes.

5. David L

David L Subscriber

Sounds good.
    All the above links are currently timing out.

David

6. DAVE GIBSON

DAVE GIBSON Subscriber

i'm in of course and I sort of know that park just an hour or so away.

7. alanwenker

alanwenker Subscriber

Try the links again, they just worked for me.

Otherwise google and the Department of Natural Resources web site pulls it up.
    Great River Bluffs State Park Minnesota

8. alanwenker

alanwenker Subscriber

I've been thinking ahead to September and I don't see COVID going away before then. I'm thinking we'll need to cancel this year and push this out until next year. Any thoughts?

9. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

@alanwenker ,

Good Evening, Alan,

I think you're on the right track. We've put the CASG events on hold, for now, and look forward to doing more, when it's safe for everyone involved. My Mom's 90th birthday is coming up in early September, but after careful thought about Mom's safety, we decided to cancel her party. Once she heard about it, she was in complete agreement, that waiting, is better than taking a chance. So, for her, we're going to give her a "Zoom Birthday", with 20-25 of our relatives and family on the screen at the same time! She can have a blast, seeing everyone, laughing, and chatting, and be completely safe in her own home!

We'd love to attend your get together. But, this September we'd be hard-pressed to be able to make it happen. Good luck, and please don't give up on the idea of your event! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

10. Ian

Ian Subscriber

Have to agree, Alan. There's too much uncertainty all-round for what would be an epic trek for me.

11. alanwenker

alanwenker Subscriber

Here's to staying healthy for a year and hoping for a vaccine before then. Onward to 2021!