USA Made Primus found in New Zealand.

Discussion in 'Primus Early US Made Models' started by threedots, Feb 12, 2014.

1. threedots New Zealand

An early American made Primus. Missing its pot trivet and outer burner cap.

I have been through the catalogues and am unable to find the date of manufacture or the maker.

The only identifying marks on it are on the fuel tank cap which reads - PRIMUS - Use Kerosene Only - Cooking and Heating Apperatus - Pat. July 4th. 93(1893).

The fuel tank(2 minor dents) holds about the same amount of fuel as say a standard Primus/ Optimus Nr.5.
    The bottom edge is folded with the mildly convex bottom fitted further up and heavily soldered.

The burner looks original and the steel inner cap is about the same size as say a Primus Nr.4 burner. The outer cap is missing. Notice the air fuel mixture inlet tube is tappered like a funnel.

The pump rod is an early version also.

The tank legs/trivet supports are made of shaped brass rod(not steel).

1392181073-USA_Primus_029_opt.jpg

1392181094-USA_Primus_030_opt.jpg

1392181122-USA_Primus_031_opt.jpg

1392181152-USA_Primus_032_opt.jpg

1392181171-USA_Primus_033_opt.jpg

1392181191-USA_Primus_001_opt.jpg

1392181209-USA_Primus_009_opt.jpg

1392181253-USA_Primus_013_opt.jpg

1392181275-USA_Primus_017_opt.jpg

1392181308-USA_Primus_019_opt.jpg

1392181337-USA_Primus_021_opt.jpg

1392181366-USA_Primus_022_opt.jpg

1392181411-USA_Primus_024_opt.jpg

1392181440-USA_Primus_027_opt.jpg

1392181486-USA_Primus_028_opt.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  2. David L

David L Subscriber

Though I do not have information to add to your description of this fine stove, a question comes to mind.
    Having seen a listing on e-bay for brass reproduction pot supports, I thought that they were incorrect.
    I always presumed that pot supports would be steel rather than brass.
    Does anyone know how common factory supplied brass pot supports are?

3. ulysses

ulysses Subscriber

Three Dots:

I have the same stove, with the same text on the fuel cap. Mine does not have legs, or any evidence that there had ever been legs. Mine came without out an outer cap, and I substituted an SH&S 8737 British military cap, dated 1945. The burner threads are quite worn and the stove burned poorly. I have put some Teflon gas line tape on the threads today, but have not fueled or lit it yet. Bernie Dawg has one too, I believe. He gave me some advice on the stove in the past.

Paul

4. SMolson

SMolson Subscriber

Hi threedots,

Your Primus looks similar to the one posted by Sam - https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/25214

Yours does not have the curious curves/deformation of the burner bells shown in Sam's examples.
    She also has the old style spirit dish, seen in Reference Catalogues at the turn of the last century and from stoves of the time (e.g. Optimus No. 1 ).

Nice old stove, fire her up!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  5. threedots New Zealand

Hello David L.
    I too was surprised to see brass legs/trivet supports on this stove. I have never come across brass legs before.
    I was wondering if it was designed for use at sea so that they didn't corrode from the salt air.
    Looking through the catalogues of American made Primus stoves; I wondered if it was a Lovett Nr.1910 because of the brass legs. The burner is different though but it could have been another variant. I would think that Lovett would be marked on it if it was.

Paul. Thanks for the hint to use a SH&S British cap to get this stove going again.
    When I first got this stove, I considered fitting standard sized caps onto the burner to get it going. The caps that I intended to use fitted the burner quiet well - almost like it was designed that way as another option to be used on this burner.
    Once I fettle this stove I may try it with those caps.

SMolson. Thanks for the link to Sam's beautiful stove range.
    I read his topic and feel that Ambercrombie & Fitch could be the maker/supplier of my American made Primus. They look identical apart from mine having legs and a round burner skirt.
    I am interested to see if my burner is the same as his are(top of vapor chamber), and what caps they have.
    My stove needs the leather tank cap seal replaced, the NRV serviced and a new pump leather and pump piston seal replaced. Then it should be good to go.

Some time ago I said to someone that it would be unlikely to find a very early Primus here in New Zealand but I would keep my eyes open and fingers crossed.
    I would have thought that it was even more unlikely to get an American made one here but now I have one. Cheers, John

6. Claire

We just bought this exact stove. Did you find out a model or a year?

We can't seem to identify it. We are in Minnesota, USA

7. threedots New Zealand

Hello Claire and welcome.

I haven't discovered who actually made this stove or the exact year of manufacture or what model it is but it is an early American made Primus and you are very lucky to get hold of one. :)
    It would be nice to see photos of your one.
    Cheers, John

8. Rangie

Rangie Subscriber

That is a brilliant find @Claire , it well deserves it's own post in this gallery if/when you have the time!

Plenty of good advice to be offered here as well.

Alec.