Using alcohol in a 199.

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Robert Radcliffe, Oct 24, 2020.

1. Robert Radcliffe

Robert Radcliffe United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

I'm hoping to have a point clarified, is the drop in air restrictor tube for burning alcohol to adapt the 2509 jet or to work with the 2508 alcohol jet? I've never been sure. My logic says it is to use with the standard jet which will allow a smaller amount of fuel vapour out so less oxygen will be needed but I could very well be wrong.
    Rob.

20201023_130449.jpg

2. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Hi, Robert (@Robert Radcliffe ),

When I burn Meths in my 199, I swap out the jet, and add a proper restrictor. I've never been happy with the restrictors that Optimus supplied. They tend to allow the flame to lift away from the burner. So, I always use one of the SVEA restrictors from their outstanding Model 1915 burners. Works wonderfully with not only the 199, but also with the 111T! The fly in that ointment is that these have not been made for many decades, so finding one is akin to the old "needle in a haystack" thing. Here's something I posted, on this topic, quite a few years ago. It may prove interesting, and hopefully, will be helpful. Later today, I can post a photo of the restrictor that I use in my 199's and 111T's, when burning Meths.

"23-11-05 06:50 PM - Post#13182

Dear Ian, and Stove Mates,

In response to your question about Optimus restrictors, I decided to check out the ones I have on hand. I knew that Optimus had changed their restrictor design over the years, and their instructions are confusing, at best, and do not really tell us all we need to know about using such an item. So, for what it's worth, here's what I found.

I have three different types of restrictors, all made by Optimus. I'll call them restrictors 'A', 'B', and 'C'. The first two restrictors, A & B, are made of chrome-plated brass, while type C is made of plain brass tubing.

A - Made of chrome-plated brass, it has a flange at one end, used as a 'stop', and two holes at the other end.

Length = 40.04 mm

OD = 12.96 mm.

ID = 12 mm.

Holes = Two holes at the end opposite the flange, holes opposing one another. The bottom edge of each hole is 1.58 mm from the end of the tube, and their diameter is 4.44 mm.

This is the original Optimus restrictor # 5163, and it came as standard equipment, for use with Meths, in the original 111T stoves, and also the 199 stoves.

Then, Optimus changed the design of their Meths restrictor, and labeled the original #5163 as for use with Petrol. Their 'new' Meths restrictor became #5213. That is the restrictor I am calling 'B'.

B - made of chrome-plated brass, has NO flange at all, and has two different sets of holes, one set on either end.

Length = 39 mm.

OD = 12.96 mm.

ID = 12 mm.

Holes =
    One end has two holes, opposing one another. These two holes start 2.22 mm from the bottom edge of the tube. Their diameter is 3.46 mm.

The other end has THREE holes, setup in a triangular fashion, evenly spaced from one another. These holes start 2.22 mm from the edge of the tube. Their diameter is larger than the holes on the other end, at 3.46 mm. In the Optimus diagrams, it would appear that the end with the three holes is placed into the burner tube first, and the end with the two holes would be upper most.

Now, comes the interesting part, as if this whole thing was not interesting enough!!! In one of my 199 stoves, the one I keep setup for use with Meths, I found a THIRD type of Meths restrictor!!!

C - This restrictor is made of unplated, plain brass tubing. It has NO flange at all, AND, it has four holes in each end, each hole opposing another!!!! Here's the drill on this one:

Length = 36.85 mm.

OD = 13.13 mm.

ID = 12.15 mm.

Holes - Each end has four holes, one hole opposing another. Each of the holes starts 3.29 mm from the edge of the tube, and the diameter for all eight holes is 4.36 mm.

Are you all totally confused yet?? Hell, I am!! : ] It's no wonder that some of us like using Meths in our 111T and 199 stoves, and others have no luck at all with it! Not only do we all use different types of Meths, but there are at least three different Meths restrictors from Optimus floating around out there, and maybe MORE!!

But, the good news is this: In the 199 that I love using with Meths, restrictor 'C' has been installed for a good long time. This restrictor would seem to be the easiest to make for yourself. The opposing holes, and the symmetrical design should be easy to cobble up, and this restrictor seems to work VERY well with my 199 and 111T stoves. Note that I use the proper alcohol nipple, AND, the restrictor, when I burn Meths in my 199s and 111T stoves. Additionally, I have used the other two types of restrictors, and thought they worked pretty well. But, upon experimentation, I believe that restrictor type 'C' is the best of the lot. Again, this one would be very easy to make.

Ian, let me know if you still want me to send the type 'A' restrictor that I have on hand. It's yours, if you want it. But, if you'd rather wait, and see if making a type 'C' would work for you, and you don't need the type 'A', that's OK, too. Just let me know, and I am happy to do it, either way.

I hope this information will prove helpful to those that wish to make best use of burning Meths in their 111T and 199 stoves. I have had wonderful luck doing do, and hope you do, too. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc Mark"

3. Robert Radcliffe

@Doc Mark wow that's one comprehensive answer, I have a couple of restrictors so I'll need to check which type they are (the one above is an A with the flange). If necessary I'll make a type C restrictor.
    Many thanks
    Rob.

4. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Robert, (@Robert Radcliffe )

Thanks, very much! I finally dug out both of my 199's, to find the one I keep setup for Meths. Here are the restrictors that I leave in the tin. The 5163 (with flange) came with the stove, when I bought it, brand new. The other one is far superior, in my estimation, and it's from SVEA, for the M1915 burners. Works great in the 199 burner, and the 111T burner, too.

IMG_5439.jpg

IMG_5440.jpg

IMG_5441.jpg

IMG_5442.jpg

You can easily see which one gets used, and which one does not!! I hope this helps you. If you need more details, let me know, and I'll do my best to help. Gotta do some actually "work", right now, or Sweet Bride will have me sleeping outside, naked, with no blankets, tonight!! Supposed to get down to 36°F tonight, so it's off to work, for me!! Talk later, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

5. Robert Radcliffe

@Doc Mark that's brilliant Doc thank you again. I'm definitely going to try to make one of those tubes.

6. Robert Radcliffe

@Doc Mark success with the 2508 jet and standard restrictor tube. They work well. Not to say I won't make the type C to try.

20201025_154851.jpg 20201025_154143.jpg

7. Robert Radcliffe

@Doc Mark further update, I found the restrictor tube with my 111T was a type B. So I replaced the type A restrictor on my 199 keeping the 2508 jet of course. No success, a poor burn with incomplete combustion and uneven jets from the silent burner. Very odd. I swapped back to the type A and immediately got the burn in the pictures above.
    Perhaps I've just found a jet/ tube combination that works together.

8. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Hi, Robert (@Robert Radcliffe ),

You are very welcome, Good Sir! Happy to pass along stuff that has worked for me. Also, outstanding the your jet/restrictor combination is working so well! Those flame shots look great! HUZZAH, and well done! Thanks for sharing your success! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc