USPS refused to ship stove

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Haggis, Jul 13, 2020.

1. Haggis

Haggis Subscriber

Tried to mail a stove to Norway today, and no luck. I included the information suggested/required when shipping stoves in Norway, but Herself was shown this list,,, and it says any container that has previously contained gasoline cannot be shipped by the USPS.

Stove declaration for shipping.

I’ve shipped and received a bunch of stoves, and even received them with enough fuel in them to light them, but apparently, the USPS doesn’t “knowingly” ship used gasoline stoves.

A real disappointment in that I and my trading partner in Norway were close to a swap...

Bummed!

B0A1EDD1-D9C2-4A0F-A77E-DAFD16834B90.jpeg

2. CW

CW United States Subscriber

have you tried UPS or Fedx?

3. The Warrior

The Warrior United States Subscriber

I've contacted people in England, to make sure they would ship to the USA before I made a bid, and many have told me that the Royal Mail won't ship anything that had gasoline in it either.

4. CW

CW United States Subscriber

ive received a few over the years marked "stove parts" which is true since the stove is disassembled

5. geeves

geeves New Zealand Subscriber

polish everything and tell them its brand new never used

6. IvanN

IvanN United States Subscriber

Try “Camping Gear, parts for repair”

7. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

Rinse with alcohol, dry thoroughly. Take apart.... stove parts or camping equipment.

8. Haggis

Haggis Subscriber

No amount is cleaning can change a stove’s history... If it has previously contained gasoline, it can’t be shipped by the USPS...

Might be a good time to remember a slogan from the ‘90’s; “Don’t ask, don’t tell”...

E4D23D15-73A9-4507-802F-9610DD158F0B.jpeg

9. Daryl

Daryl United States Subscriber

You may try printing label at home. Will need postal scale and open USPS account. Easy to use international rate tables etc. May need to be creative with item description in customs delectations form. USPS does not want flammable liquids inside there planes, should be shipped ground and no ground routes to Europe. I know your frustration I am having hold-up with French custom's seems they know Navy WW2 pilots first aid kit has morpheme along with the band aids. Fuel and drugs puts you on no fly list! Stay safe very sunny SoCal

10. teckguy_58

teckguy_58 United States Subscriber

I print my shipping labels at home and list the item as camping stove parts.

I also make sure I empty the fuel out of the stove and rinse it a few times with denatured alcohol and let it sit for a few days to dry out.
    Some will say to leave the filler cap or fuel cap loose and the control valve open but I make sure the fuel cap and control valve is closed so there is no possibility of a fuel smell.

And never go into the Post Office to ask them questions because the will always refuse to ship if a stove has had fuel in the tank or fount.

I hope this helps.

11. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

I create labels in PayPal webpage for usps.

12. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Haggis,

I replied to a fellow Stovie who asked me this same question, via a PM.

"In my opinion, that regulation is for cans, tins, and plastic containers, that were sold with gasoline in them, and not empty stoves. I'll see our Postmaster later today, and see what she has to say."

Doc

13. z1ulike

z1ulike United States SotM Winner Subscriber

Try one rinse with acetone instead. Gasoline is not miscible in denatured alcohol but it is in acetone. Acetone also evaporates quickly cutting down on the drying time.

Ben

14. Harder D. Soerensen

Harder D. Soerensen Denmark Subscriber

I also use Acetone for the same reason as you Ben

15. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

Good news .. acetone.

16. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

@Haggis , @janders ,

Hey, Guys,

I talked to our Postmaster today, and she looked at the regulation that's causing your problems. According to her, the problem is not that the USPS will no deliver it, but rather that Norway will not allow it to be shipped. She told me that each Country has different regulations as to what can, and cannot be shipped to them. I asked about shipping stoves, without fuel, in the US, and she told me, pretty much, what I expected: For now, that is not a problem. But, when shipping overseas, depending on the Country, it could easily become one, if you tried to ship a used stove there. I hope that helps some.

As an aside, back when SB and I did our first 850 mile backpacking trip on the Pacific Crest Trail, we looked up the Postal Regulations for shipping fuel. Coleman Fuel and gasoline were forbidden, as far as shipping in a fuel canister. But, kerosene was perfectly legal, because of it's flashpoint, which was high. So, we packed as regulations demanded, and seldom had a problem, except at a few small Post Offices, where the Postmasters were not up on their current regulations. We considered that might be a problem, and so printed out the exact regulations that allowed for shipping kerosene!! NO problems, after that. I have no idea if you can ship kero today, though.

Haggis, send it, rinsed out with Acetone, as recommended, and dried out, and say it's "parts for repair", and see what happens. Good luck, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

17. Haggis

Haggis Subscriber

Thank you @Doc Mark, I think that’ll be the plan then,,, rinse it with acetone, relabel the shipping box, and try again...

Seriously, thank you...

18. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Evening, Haggis,

You are most welcome. I hope it helps bear fruit in your shipping woes! One never knows about the USPS. Sometimes, they are very helpful, and sometimes, they are a PITA!! Here's hoping that you get the helpful side of things!! Best of luck, and God Bless!

Doc

19. 8R Pete

8R Pete United States Subscriber

I would try another Post Office.

20. OMC

OMC Subscriber

cc @Harder D. Soerensen
    @Haggis ,
    I'll follow your progress (& harder).
    I feel like I'm stating the obvious...
    [double post] +1 w/Pete
    ... although it will likely be a bit of a drive but yourself or herself would do well to go to a different post office for next attempt.

all,
    RE above, the listed items Haggis shared, below the title... i get the impression, one can request "...more information about mailability exceptions ...".
    Again stating the obvious, we all know it's NOT about how to "get it through", the paramount consideration is that it IS safe to ship on an airplane. Next comes the getting past inspections... THE KEY inspections.. BEFORE it gets on an airplane ! (not destination)

For Intl. & Domestic packages such a "policy" has millions of packages to monitor and not about any one. My impression is that that policy and similar will stand as explained:
    a container (fuel tanks incl.) that contains or previously contained fuel.
    Such a policy is considered a best practice to most effectively remove that risk with a broad brush from millions of packages (vs case by case) .

With such policies in-place myself, like many members, have received compromised packaging that might be soaked in fuel. Worst case, hot day, leaking pressurized gasoline tanks... and it has happened. ](*,) .

IF we stovies have made every effort to be certain the package contents (or vapors generated) are not flammable and we're sure our one package is safe...
    THEN it is our choice to attempt to ship a (imo, prohibited) safe package that will include a clean empty tank (knowing new, empty tanks are permissible).

The approach Harder took was new to me, with a declaration, his example:

To Postal Services
    The parcel contains (1) Coleman Cooker from 1944.
    In full accordance with DGR/IATA it has been thoroughly cleaned., flushed and left to completely air dry for 16 days. It possesses no dangerous liquids, vapors or otherwise dangerous goods at all.
    For questions re this parcel please call: name, ph number, contact info.
    (DGR: Dangerous Goods Regulations / IATA: International Air Transport Association)

[he's honest, yet like fellow stovies for years, no mention of "stove" or fuel.
    It is also honest to declare ONE pressurized liquid fuel stove hehehehe ]
    --------------------------------------

Otherwise, as to what to call a clean/dry camp stove:
    I've shipped plenty without any "declaration" and at this late date I'm still not sure what best to call it.
    Words I've used may not be the best (& stoves differ, some have a pot... "cookware") but I've never said anything "stove".
    -----------------------------------------

and another USPS FYI:
    harder3.JPG
    a poster that has been up as long as i can remember, yet for me, it's vague re the lantern / fuel tank. I've not asked for clarification.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2020