1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Valor Packaway

Discussion in 'Valor' started by Davwal, Nov 12, 2010.

1. Davwal

Another Packaway -

This arrived, in a pretty filthy state, packed in a tin full of cobwebs (and powdered rust) but, after a few hours cleaning, I was pleasantly surprised to find that the fount did not have a single dent or ding. The flame ring, too, was minus the usual dents and chips so it looks like the stove was well cared for before it was retired.
    The small feet are non-standard but I added these to stop the rough tube ends from scratching surfaces as the stove will likely be used indoors on occasion.

Out of the box.

1289566275-S1a.jpg

After a bit of spit and polish.

1289566322-S14.jpg

Burner.

1289566358-S18.jpg

"Made in England" and showing the removable screw which gives a straight access to the nipple.

1289566395-S8.jpg

I thought the reserve cap was missing until I twigged it normally lives on the pump knob when not in use !

1289566417-S11.jpg

I polished me bottom .... :whistle:

1289566442-S17.jpg

Beneath the main Valor stamp you can see "5K". Could this be a date stamp?

1289566478-S9.jpg

Stove out in the wild, fully fettled - all seals and pips replaced.

1289566509-S7.jpg

Doin' what a stove oughta do.

1289566543-S2.jpg

Powerful flames.

1289566572-CIMG0336.jpg

?????

1289566602-S12.jpg

The final picture might seem out of place but there is a tenuous link …………..

It is a drawing of a head of department at The Valor Company and was drawn at some time around the turn of the 20th. Century, probably when the Valor factory was located in Rocky Lane.
    The artist, a Mr. ?. Popplewell - the father of my late brother in law - was an unusual character and a onetime friend/drinking buddy of the young Edward Bourne-Jones.
    In between his numerous art related ventures (which usually failed) Mr. Popplewell would take a job at the Valor factory until he had acquired enough funds to start his next new endeavour!
    The photograph does not do the drawing any justice but is the best I can do with my limited photographic skills (the picture was done by pencil point stipple and is really quite sharp and detailed but it’s framed beneath glass).

Dave.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  2. RonPH

Lovely restoration Dave. Love to see a nicely cleaned and polished stove.

Ron

3. hikin_jim United States

A very beautiful stove! Quite a difference a bit of polish makes.

HJ

4. DAVE GIBSON United States

all the difference between night and day!
    great polish job,even the decal came out looking like new...you have a nice kitchen by the way----

5. Russ in California United States

Quite lovely. :clap: Nice work.
    8)

6. idahostoveguy

idahostoveguy Subscriber

That stove looks fantastic! Wow! Very nice.

sam

7. BernieDawg Banned

Wow!! What everyone above has said and then some. :clap: :clap:

Cheers,
    Gary

8. Davwal

Thanks for all the kind comments.
    The restoration was not too difficult apart from removing some very stubborn stains and old lacquer patches and having to make a new nipple removal tool.
    The nipple fitted was quite a bit narrower across the flats than usual but did not appear to have been modified, in fact it showed no burred edges or rounding and looked as though it had never been touched (it was a bugger to remove though as it was very, very tight).

I would be interested to hear from other Packaway owners (or those who have other Valor models) if their stoves also carry a similar stamp to the "5K" on the base of mine.

I have written to Valor to see if they can shed any light on this and will report back if I hear anything positive.

Dave.

9. rik_uk3 United Kingdom

Nice job, these are probobly my favourite English stove and one of the first I bought when I was into collecting. A very reliable stove, I have one I just leave out the back and it always lights first time (might need a bit of oil on the pump leather).

10. Wim

Wim Belgium Subscriber

Hi Dave, mine also has 5K on its bottom!

Regards,

Wim

11. Davwal

Wim,

Thanks for that info.
    Been thinking about this and if it's not a date stamp it could be a production model code.
    Be interesting to see what Valor say, if they reply.

Dave.

12. Doug L

Doug L United States Subscriber

I love the before and after photo.

Old TV add:
    "They asked me how I knew, it was Esso Blue, I of course replied, with lower grades one buys, smoke gets in your eyes. The non-smoking paraffin".

13. Simes Reserved

With you on that Rik, mine sits in the kitchen waiting for coffee duties, works everytime. Also looks like yours Davwal in the 'before' pics. Once I removed the green stuff that had accumulated on the underside it also has the 5k, will check the nice version if I can get to it. :whistle:

Is the Dovey flooded again? Managed to get over the bridge last Fri afternoon.

14. Robtz

Robtz New Zealand Subscriber

Hi Dave,

Great restoration job.

Could you explain a little more detail what you did to the feet please. I see, I think, that you have inserted some brass rod into the ends of the pot stand tubes, but what, and how have you affixed them?

Cheers.

Rob

15. Davwal

Robtz

For each foot I turned down a short section of brass rod to a tight interference fit in the tube and then turned the visible part of the foot to what I thought would be a suitable size. This was then parted off, finished to size and polished The feet were then tapped into the tubes using a hardwood drift. I had thoroughly cleaned the inside of the tubes so that I could take accurate measurements for the fit.
    If you wished to make this mod but do not have suitable equipment to make an accurate fit I'm sure a two part Epoxy adhesive would be OK to fix the feet in the tubes.

Simes,

It's down again now. Being a 'spate' river means the level can rise and fall rapidly in a few hours. Fortunately, I drive a Citroen Xantia so can set the suspension to 'high' and slowly drive through when the road is (regularly) flooded ... :)

Dave.

16. mr optimus

mr optimus United Kingdom Subscriber

Beautyfully done Dave,i like the feature on the burner with the removable screw,it makes changeing the jet/nipple so much easier useing a straight nipple key.
    And well done on keeping, the Esso blue decal on the stove, and it is not to easy to find one in perfect condition

17. mr optimus

mr optimus United Kingdom Subscriber

Beautyfully done Dave,i like the feature on the burner with the removable screw,it makes changeing the jet/nipple so much easier useing a straight nipple key.
    And well done on keeping, the Esso blue decal on the stove, and it is not to easy to find one in perfect condition

18. kayhannah

Very nice fettle. I have the same stove, but it has 10k stamped on the bottom, and is missing the tin.

Tom