Variation of 1920s Auto Kamp Kook Kit

Discussion in 'Prentiss Wabers (Preway)' started by Matukat, Jun 15, 2010.

1. Matukat

Matukat Subscriber

A slightly rougher condition and slight variation to the model posted by VooDuuChild. This one is missing it's legs and appears to have a different lid, but seems otherwise complete.

1276561199-DSCI0037_opt.jpg 1276561210-DSCI0039_opt.jpg 1276561221-DSCI0040_opt.jpg 1276561231-DSCI0041_opt.jpg 1276561240-DSCI0042_opt.jpg 1276561253-DSCI0043_opt.jpg

As to year, all I know is that they changed the name of the town where it was manufactured in 1920 to "Wisconsin Rapids", so this one was sold after 1920.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  2. pshaw

Man you can't find any of that stuff in CT

3. CWilkins

CWilkins Subscriber

Hello,
    Those are built rather sturdy aren't they ? Have you tried to cook anything on it yet ?

Chuck

4. VooDuuChild

Wow, so similar, yet so different! Does your tank pressure gauge work?? Mine does; and it's such a neat thing to see on a stove that's nearing 90 years old!!! I mean VW bugs didn't have gas gauges until 62....almost 40 years after my stove was made :lol: :mrgreen: I did notice on yours, the tank gauge is opposite mine and your key-holes for control are one on each side and mine are both on the left. Do you plan on stripping that re-paint and going back to brown? Tis a shame to paint the tank too...ouch. I'm pretty excited to see another one like mine. You can check out mine for lighting instructions as I got a picture of the instructions that came glued on the underside of the lid. Hopefully you can read it as I think mine's in storage maybe. I hope coleman413c checks in; he's far more of an authority on these stoves. He's also needing pics, measurements and any info given on the stove as he's compiling a data-base and timeline for every PW he can find (and has found). Should be a pretty cool ongoing project. Here's a link to the thread...
    https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/14657

Oh yeah, does it look like your ever came with wind shields on it? It's hard to tell in the pics...but if not, it could be possible yours is a year or two older than mine as it doesn't really seem like a feature they'd get rid of...(mine's a 1923 according to the packing slip that came with it from the factory...hand written even) Maybe yours is a 22 or 21 even? The mysteries of the Prentiss-Wabers....

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  5. Matukat

Matukat Subscriber

I've only owned it for a day and a half so far...
    This one looks like black WAS the original color- there are scrapes, scratches and dings and nowhere is there an indication of any other color under the black.
    The top has two bars on it which aren't seen in the pics. These two bars pivot over and become supports for the lid, making it into a little table top. It would be level with the stove top when the legs were added to the bottom. There does not appear to have ever been windscreens on the sides.
    Haven't tried to pressure it up or put fuel in yet. Will report back after trying.
    Best,
    Randy

6. VooDuuChild

After posting I kinda thought that it could've been black originally; but before, I was just going off of looking at the tag on the front where's there's paint coming over the tag from a repaint. That's freakin cool the lid makes a table; we've got a couple Colemans that do the same thing. Can't wait to see what you do with it!!!

Nice score.

7. Deider

Deider Subscriber

Randy is that an old heater I see in the pic?

8. Matukat

Matukat Subscriber

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015