1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Veritas Picnic Stove + tin [Chromed]

Discussion in 'Falk, Stadelmann & Co Ltd' started by expat, Dec 29, 2012.

1. expat United Kingdom

Not a patch on Kerophile's one of these, but here's one, together with tin. Interestingly there is also a small metal funnel included - which is also chromed!

Tin:
    1356822605-DSCF0171.JPG

Overhead views - the windscreen has an opening door on it - one has to remember to close it before it gets too hot!
    1356822653-DSCF0172.JPG

1356822760-DSCF0173.JPG

1356822786-DSCF0174.JPG

The label is unfortunately quite worn.
    1356822817-DSCF0175.JPG

1356822870-DSCF0176.JPG

Now some flame shots and proof that it did boil a kettle! Please excuse the noise on the flame shots - until I can figure out how to use a proper RAW editor with the Fuji RAW format, I'm having to take the photos in jpg.
    1356822916-DSCF0179.JPG

1356822981-DSCF0180.JPG

1356823010-DSCF0187.JPG

Raining outside so kettle boiled in the kitchen...
    1356823043-DSCF0181.JPG

And the flame under the kettle...
    1356823071-DSCF0185.JPG

This is never going to be a shelf queen - the burner is slightly off vertical - it's been bent at some point in the past. Interestingly, the stove got very hot in use (it was only boiling 1 litre of water but it got hotter than my Optimus 00's do when boiling 1l water and they are the "hottest" of my paraffin stoves)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  2. Doug L

Doug L United States Subscriber

Thats a real gem expat.
    How do you do the great flame pics?

3. gunsoo

gunsoo Korea, Republic of Subscriber

Tin has wonderful painting !!
    :thumbup:

Gunsoo

4. mr optimus

mr optimus United Kingdom Subscriber

Hi expat a beautiful example of a very nice stove, looking at the pictures the crome is in brilliant condition, even the tin box is in nice condition.
    a shame the decal/transfer is not complete, but a very nice stove you have and in very good condition through out

5. expat United Kingdom

Thanks Doug. It's not as nice as Kerophile's one but it's the only Veritas one like this that I have!

For the flame shots I'm using a camera with independent control of ISO, aperture and shutter speed. I started at ISO 1600, f2.2 and 1/30second with a focal length of 28mm (handheld) and then experimented with reducing the shutter speed if the photo was too dark or increasing it if it was too bright (by reviewing the LCD image). If your camera has no manual setting but does have a fireworks setting, this should work. With the light off, you may need a torch to provide enough light for it to focus and then turn off torch before taking photo.

If you use a tripod you can get better shots as the shutter speed doesnt need to be so high (rule of thumb is that for handholding shutter speed should not be lower than 1/focal length to avoid camera shake) but with low shutter speed you get blurring of the flame if you have any air currents!

Ideally one would use a dSLR with good low light capability so that one can use a high ISO with low levels of "noise". If the photo is taken in RAW format then it's easier to "correct" the photo in post processing.

HTH

6. expat United Kingdom

Gunsoo, thanks :) it is a nice tin! I'll try to get a photo under better lighting!

Mr Optimus, thanks :) the chrome is a bit scratched where someone has used a harsher abrasive than needed in the past. The tin is in very good condition for its age and use (the burner was quite black so it has been used a bit!). It's a shame that the burner is bent but it's not bad enough for me to risk trying to straighten it out!

7. Doug L

Doug L United States Subscriber

That's so true. If it ain't broke don't fix it and
    if it's just a bit broke, don't fix it.

Thanks for the camera tips, I'll have to look into that.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  8. expat United Kingdom

Absolutely true!!! If I was as talented as some of the master fettlers here I might atempt it - but I'm not...

Tin in daylight.
    1357168487-DSCF0194.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015