Very early Svea No.5

Discussion in 'Svea No:5' started by nmp, Mar 1, 2016.

1. nmp

nmp United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

image.jpg

This patent No.5 has no writing on the sides of the tank.
    Big feet
    External NRV.
    Kinky legs.
    "Blobby"script

It has a Primus burner and spirit cup.

2. igh371

igh371 SotM Winner Subscriber

More questions! The pump tube cap itself; we know that the pump assembly is of the pre-WW1 form (link) - but is the cap inscribed 'C.R.NYBERGS PATENT.SUNDBYBERG' or 'SVEA. NADE IN SWEDEN'? and on the bottom of the tank is it 'AKTIEBOL.MAX SIEVERT.STOCKHOLM. MADE IN SWEDEN' or 'MAX SIEVERT .STOCKHOLM. PATENT'?

3. nmp

Pump cap is 'C.R.NYBERGS PATENT. SUNDBYBERG'
    The bottom of the tank is so black I cannot tell or should I say I have not looked carefully but will do so tomorrow.
    Cheers Nick

4. nmp

@igh371

I have just checked and as I thought there is nothing on the underside of the tank except maybe the letter. I

Thanks for your interest Nick

5. igh371

igh371 SotM Winner Subscriber

@nmp
    Hi Nick,

Comparing to the variations of ex-NRV Sveas I have here, on the gallery, and details in the old catalogues I think we can say with a high degree of certainty that the combination of the 'Nybergs Patent Sundbyberg' pump cap and older form of pump assembly places your No.5 firmly in the pre-WW1 period :thumbup:.

Not all pre-WW1 Sveas had a Russian market Cyrillic side panel. On the other hand the apparent absence of a provenance base marking is really intriguing - has it been weak and worn off? or was it never there in the first place? - a new one on me.

So both very old and, as a 'proper' No.5, much less common than the cheaper 'lighter weight' No.15 version :D.

Ian.