Very Early Tourist Camp Cook, Albert Lea Foundry, CO, Minn.

Discussion in 'AGM - American Gas machine' started by Doc Mark, Jul 8, 2019.

1. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Greetings, All,

Coming home from grabbing a burger, after church today, SB and I passed a local antique store, with some old stoves outside. So, what the heck, we pulled in to see what they had.

Inside a found a great old Tourist Camp Cook, manufactured by Albert Lea Foundry, Co., Patents Pending, Albert Lea, Minn!

I took photos and could hardly wait to get back home, and see how old this Old Timer is! I guessed it came from the early 1920's, or so. It's similar to the Tourist that @scouterjan, and @Deider , have:

"TOURIST" Albert Lea Foundry

Tourist, Albert Lea Patent Pending

....but with a few differences. Note where the regulating wheel, and generator are, compared to Jan's and Deider's, and note where all that is affixed to the tank; also, note the dimple under the main (Left) burner, for priming the generator (I assume). In any case, here is what I found:

1.jpg

Interesting latch, don't you think?! Seems to work very well, though.

2.jpg

This little arm is a latch, of sorts, to keep the two halves of the windscreen "locked" together in transport. You can see a ring on the outside of the windscreen, in another photo.

13.jpg

Note the four, square holes in the bottom, one in each corner. I think this is where the original feet were attached to the stove. @idahostoveguy , Sam posted another early stove, which shows what I strongly believe is one of the feet that works with this stove. He thinks it is a filler tool, but I'm thinking it would perfectly fit the square leg holes in this stove. What say you, Sam? Give it a squint, and see if I'm right on this. I may ask to borrow your tool/foot, just to see if it does indeed work as I think it will. If that happens, maybe I could use your tool/foot as a sample, to make four replacements for my stove.

Tourist, Albert Lea Patent Pending

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

Note the dished surface on the main burner top. Me thinks this is for priming fluid. Makes sense, but I could be wrong.

9.jpg
    The cast iron knob for regulating the second burner, slides in and out of the case: out for using, in for packing.

10.jpg

It appears that some ingenious former owner, added a heat shield, of sorts, to keep the fuel tank from overheating.

11.jpg

12.jpg

So, there you have it. I am guessing it's at least very early 1920's, or possibly, the 1918/1919, era! It appears that the cleaning needle is missing, or broken, but I won't know until later. I look forward to learning more about this stove, and working on it, when time permits.

I have another stove that needs gathering, as it's been held by a good CCS Mate, and I hope to make arrangements for that, soon! In closing, I am eager to see this our stove falls in the line of AGM, early Albert Lea stoves!!!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

PS - Food for thought: Since this stove, as well as Sam's, Jan's, and Dieder's are all marked "Patent's Pending", don't you think it's interesting that all these stoves look as if the final design is floating somewhat!?!!

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
  2. idahostoveguy

Hi Mark,

@Doc Mark
    @scouterjan

It looks pretty close to Jan's Tourist. His has a square retainer type thing over what looks like a square hole where the legs go through or something like that. It would be interesting to see more detail on his stove's legs and how they are attached and how they retract or extend out.

Nice find!

Sam

3. Majicwrench

I've got a PW #6, has that same tank/valve set-up, I was using it yesterday for huckleberry pancakes, I can bet that heat shield is to try and keep some of the heat away from the knob.....that sucker gets HOT !!
    I was pondering something similar last night as I was trying to close the valve...

That's an interesting secondary burner on yours!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

Nice stove, Doc.

Nice hotcakes, Keith.

5. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Greetings, Fellow Stovies,

@snwcmpr , and @Majicwrench , Ken and Keith, thanks for your nice comments, and Keith, yes, indeed, those pancakes are the dog's B's!! Ummmm!! Your photos made me very hungry!! Keith, also, I will let you know if that heat shield does any good, and if it does, I can take measurements, so you can add one to your #6, as well. More on that, after some fettling, and testing.

I had a chance to talk to the seller of the stove, today, when I went to actually pick it up, and she gave me some very interesting information, which "may" help date this stove, as well as those belonging to @idahostoveguy , @scouterjan, and @Deider . She told me that the original owner, was the Grandfather of the people who sold her the stove, after they inherited Grandad's cabin. He had built that cabin, himself, back when he was a young man. The cabin dates to the early days of the little Village of Cedar Glen, CA. Here is some information about that little Hamlet:

"The sleepy town was formed in 1916 when former lumber baron John Suverkrup and his partner, John Hook, founded the first mill in the area 'way back when' in 1887.

The following year loggers were removing huge amounts of timber from the forest. Suverkrup purchased land east of Lake Arrowhead and built small cabins on the property so his lumberjacks - and miners who were excavating what is today Lake Arrowhead - had a place to stay; a scenario very close to 'history's take' on the origin of the Brookings Mill in Fredalba.

Suverkrup called this area Camp Comfort, and the delightful Hook Creek that runs throughout Cedar Glen was named for his partner, John Hook.

Eventually Suverkrup subdivided 56 lots and sold them for $15 each, naming the area Cedar Glen. For many years Suverkrup Lumber was located on Crest Forest Drive in "Toptown" Crestline. Today the Suverkrup family owns a large lumber yard in San Bernardino and the family still has holdings in the Cedar Glen area."

As the first cabins in the area were built in 1916, I'll wager that their Grandfather's cabin was build then, or very soon thereafter!! I note that American Gas Machine appears to have come on the scene in the 1920-1921 era, judging by some early AGM stove adds, one of which dates to 1921. Since those later AGM stove have markings that seem to show they were Patented, my guess is that the Albert Lea, Patents Pending stoves were made between 1918-1920, and possibly a tad earlier. Make sense to me, anyway......

In any case, I'm going to try and visit the cabin in question, and find out the actual address. Through that, I believe I can nail down the date it was actually built!!!

I will need to come up with some replacement legs, and therein lies a small, but not insurmountable problem. I need to see how the legs should actually attach to my stove. Mine is unlike any of the others of these early Tourist stoves, in the leg department. I can easily see where they go, but how to make them, and affix them to my stove...... ahhhhhh, that another matter, and I may have to jerry-rig something. Though I would MUCH prefer to make replacement legs, and have them attach as they should!

The stove "might" be missing it's cleaning needle, too. I'll know soon enough, I guess..... Thanks for reading, Folks, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

6. z1ulike

z1ulike United States Subscriber SotM Winner

Very interesting local history Doc and a nice stove to go with it.

Ben

7. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Evening, All,

Thanks, Ben @z1ulike ! I love stuff like this! To add some interesting stuff, I also just had a look at my old book, "Auto Camping" by F.E. Brimmer, published in 1923, in which I could information on my beloved "one of a kind" Glenwood Camp Cooker, and it's excellent Blue Bird oven, which describes the Tourist Camp Stove. To whit:

Auto Camping FE Brimmer, 1923.jpg

My stove measures those exact measurements, and I'm betting the other guys stove do, too!! Since nothing is published immediately upon submission, and since it take a bit of time to actually research and write a book, I'm guessing that Brimmer began writing it around 1916-1917 time period, which would give him time to finish, and submit it in time to be published by 1923!! By the way, huge thanks to our very own @flivver, as it was Mike that encouraged me to find this book, and buy a copy! Thanks, Mike!!! Brimmer comes in handy once again!! So, more info has come to hand, and I expect, with a bit more work on my part, we can nail these puppies down to a firm time period fairly soon! Thanks, again, for reading, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

8. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Howdy, All,

I spent some time yesterday, dismantling the generator to see if I had a cleaning needle, or not. Turns out, I DID! YAY!

A.jpg

Then, I found that there was a heavy spring inside the area just behind where the jet is installed. Now, it's been soaking in the 50/50 mix of ATF/Acetone, and still needs a bit more time. I'll keep soaking it, until I can remove it, and clean it up, as it's got some rust on it.

B.jpg

C.jpg

All the brass parts unscrewed fairly well, with only a small amount of work. They also cleaned up nicely, too. I did note one thing that is odd to me: the pressure release bit is not threaded on the inside, or so it appears. Hummmm...... Without the threads, I am not sure how one of those early pumps will affix to that part. Guess I'll see when it's ready to give it a try. I did note, however, that that part is totally smooth all around it's edge, with no knurling to help give you a good purchase. But, remembering how all these parts were so easy to remove, I guess it wasn't needed for this particular setup.

D.jpg

E.jpg

So, that's about it, so far. Thanks for following me along, on this particular fettle. I'm very much looking forward to getting this Old Timer up and running again!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

9. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Howdy,

I forgot to post one more photo. This one is entitled, "A clean Jet makes for a happy stove"!

F.jpg

Sorry..... couldn't resist!

Doc

10. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

OKIE-DOKIE,

I put the generator back together, and pumped some air into the tank. It worked nicely. So, filled with high hopes, I added some Coleman Fuel, and once again used a huge T-handled pump to add lots of air into the tank. The captive ball NRV worked quite well, which made my happy, as it was stuck fast before I cleaned everything up! After adding some priming Meths to the recessed area on the primary burner, I cracked open the fuel regulator, and VOILA, was rewarded by a nice flame! Blue it was, and that made me very happy!

AA1.jpg
    Here are more shots, including one where I really opened up both burners, obviously before they were hot enough, as I got high, yellow/red flame on that one!

A1.jpg

OOPS!! Crank 'er down, Howard, looks like she's gonna BLOW!!

A2.jpg

Back down to something more reasonable, and the blue flames returned again. You can tell which burner is which, and from a simmer to a very hot burner, the results were pretty darned good!!

A3.jpg

A4.jpg

A5.jpg

A6.jpg

Second burner did great, too:

A7.jpg

A8.jpg

So, there you have it, Friends! This Old Tourist burners very, very nicely! It has a few interesting things to remember, when setting it up, about which I'll tell you later. Past my bedtime, now. Thanks for checking it out, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
  11. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    Ah, the blue flame of happiness.

Cheers

Tony

12. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

13. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

Excellent.

14. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

Someone more informed than I am might share more details, but, as I understand it ....
    A good way to delay the patent information being shared is to extend the period of Patent Pending. Until the patent is issued the details are kept 'secret'. The competitor is not sure what the detais of the patent are. Then, when the patent is finally issued, the competitor knows what he can/cannot release that does or does not infringe on the patent rights.
    One way to delay the patent is to keep changing the patent application.

Ken in NC

15. idahostoveguy

Hi Mark,
    The flame pattern of the first burner looks beautiful. Thanks for showing us.

Can't wait to see what other history you dig up from the cabin and surrounding area.

Sam

P.S.: just keep stoving... Just keep stoving... Just keep stoving...