1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Villiers Farmer's Glory

Discussion in 'Villiers' started by Wim, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Wim

Wim Belgium Subscriber

Hi All, last weekend The Missus and her humble servant were invited to celebrate a good friend's 60th birthday. As good friend lives near London I wanted to combine the trip over to the UK with collecting a stove for sale near the good olde towne. In fact, I collected my first purchase of 2013 at the Hystorical Dock Yards at Chatham (but sadly, the museum was closed for winter :cry: ). Someone spend many a night in his shed to make a wooden/metal clad carrying/cooking box for it. So, here are some photo's for you! Enjoy!

1357760224-PC040050_opt.jpg

1357760243-PC040051_opt.jpg

1357760261-PC040048_opt.jpg

1357760279-PC040052_opt.jpg

1357760305-PC040053_opt.jpg

1357760330-PC040054_opt.jpg

1357760350-PC040055_opt.jpg

Best regards,

Wim

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  2. Rick b

Rick b United States Subscriber

Hi Wim, What a nice old stove and seems to be in good condition the lettering on the stove looks perfect. Do you have any idea of its age? The box for it looks to be very well made and a nice addition. Sounds like you had a nice time while in England. :)

3. Wim

Wim Belgium Subscriber

Hi Rick, glad you like it! Yes, we had a good time when in England, went to London to visit some of its great museums and some gazing through shop windows ;) :lol: .

I can't give a precise date on this stove, but it is late 1930's at my guess. I don't think Villiers made stoves after WW2.
    Funny thing about this combo is, the Inferno (same stove, but it came in a "suitcase" like Colemans etc.) was sold for the same price as the Farmer's Glory, so why go through all the trouble? Maybe the case was a (much) later addition when someone (new owner?) wanted to take it (car)camping. Quality of the work is very good indeed.

All the best,

Wim

4. Shed-man

Shed-man R.I.P.

Nice stove Wim :thumbup: :thumbup: We Brits have to thank you again :clap: :clap: for rescuing another piece of British stove history. At least we know that it is in safe "Stove Custody" with you my friend :content: :content: Best wishes for 2013 - Steve.

5. Wim

Wim Belgium Subscriber

Thanks Steve! But the problem is, my garage will soon start to overflow! :lol:

All the best,

Wim

6. Rick b

Rick b United States Subscriber

I found this, don't know if you've seen this.

7. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator Subscriber

Good link, Rick :clap:

8. Wim

Wim Belgium Subscriber

Indeed, great link! Thanks Rick! However, it doesn't show my Mk14B engine :( . Must be an unpopular model.

All the best,

Wim

9. Admin

Admin Courtesy of Iani

Wim

Have you got any markings on the tank ? or the cast aluminium running gear ?

Ian

10. Wim

Wim Belgium Subscriber

Hi Ian, will have a look tomorrow. There are markings on the tank, but don't remember fully what it said.

Best regards,

Wim

11. Tracer

Tracer Belgium Subscriber

Nice catch Wim.
    And beautiful box.
    I heard from Villiers before as a bike brand, not to be changed with Filliers, thats something different :D

12. Wim

Wim Belgium Subscriber

Hi Erwin, we also have Vieille (French for Old) Villiers, a Trappist-like beer! :D/

Groetjes,

w!m

13. Wim

Wim Belgium Subscriber

Ian, the tank only has "patent applied for" on it. The burner has "patents N° 13565/33" (cast) and a stamped "FG 1274" (serial N°?) on it and of course the mfr's name.

Best regards,

Wim