Villiers Inferno restoration

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by presscall, Mar 8, 2012.

1. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

Basically sound, but not sure of what might need sorting until I'd stripped it and checked key components - generator, pricker rod, fuel pick-up, air and fuel valves, fuel cap/non-return valve.

One key component not in the photo, the case, features a bit further down the post

1331248895-1.JPG

The generator needed a decoke, but wasn't in too bad a shape considering it's an eighty-year old stove and the pricker tip was intact.

The only repair required was to the fuel pick-up tube, on which the strainer gauze had disintegrated

1331248903-2.JPG

Candidate to replace it was handy, a Tilley lamp fuel strainer, machined a bit to fit and soldered to the tip of the pick-up tube

1331248911-3.JPG

1331248918-4.JPG

1331248927-5.JPG

The fuel pick-up goes in that vacant tapped hole in the control valve body

1331248940-7.JPG

The other component alongside it on the base is the air inlet jet, taking air from the top of the tank above the fuel level during the start-up, since the stove is billed in contemporary literature as instant-start without the need for priming

1331248955-8.JPG

The air jet is tiny, seen here alongside a jet nipple from a Primus 210

1331248966-9.JPG

Fuel tank, control valve and generator assembled. I used a thread-lock/sealer on the tapered threads of the valve body

1331248974-10.JPG

'P' is the petrol control, 'A' controls the air. Not as sophisticated an arrangement as a Coleman fuel/air valve control, but it should be workable - I'll let you know when I fire it up shortly

1331248982-11.JPG

Bit of a digression on the age of the stove. It's an early one, judging by the 'Patent Applied for' engraving. An example in the Stove Reference Gallery from 1933 has a patent number assigned by that date.

1331248991-12.JPG

On the aluminium manifold, apart from the Villiers name ...

1331249001-13.JPG

... there's what I take to be a date stamp for October 1931

1331249009-14.JPG

The Villiers is a dead ringer for a Prentiss Waber 8B. Contemporary, but which came first I wonder? I suspect the PW did. They were well-established manufacturers and Villiers made this stove as a sideline to their motorcycle engine manufacturing.

Here's how burner, generator and fuel tank come together

1331249017-15.JPG

1331249025-16.JPG

I said at the outset that the case would appear further down the post. Surface rust, fortunately

1331249039-17.JPG

1331249048-18.JPG

Case has a sort of 'lived in' feel about it

1331249067-19.JPG

Someone in marketing must have shouted down the doubters who asked whether 'Inferno' might put people off - must be referring to the stove's capacity to put out some heat

1331249077-20.JPG

Some way to go with the restoration yet. Thought I'd try a rust remover that won't remove the labels, then try some 'crinkle finish' paint to match the original finish. Needs 20 to 25 degrees C ambient temperature to make it work. Summer job

1331249090-22.JPG

Flame pics soon, but hopefully not an inferno.

John

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  2. Big BTU

very nice John, you find some unique stoves. I saw one of these for sale that ended just today. a single burner (different case).

I look forward to seeing it all finished and fired up.

3. Tea belly

Hi John,

I nearly had a "Villiers inferno" in the late sixties. It was a hot sunny afternoon during the school summer holidays, my chum's father had given him Royal Enfield motorcycle fitted with a Villiers 2T engine. The idea was for him to strip it down and to rebuild it as a project to learn about how engines worked, something I had done the pevious summer with a BSA Bantam engine which was why he invited me over to "lend a helping hand". As this was a complete running motorcycle we decided it would be a good idea to take it for a little test ride so that we could see how it performed before we stripped it down. (for the younger members of this forum, that's what kids did before the internet). We wheeled the bike from his home to a nearby disused railway line taking it in turns to either push the bike or carry a tin can full of petrol/two stroke oil mix and a pocket full of cheese sandwiches, not quite "Swallows and Amazons" but for us an adventure none the less. The first half hour was spent trying to encourage the afore mentioned beast to fire up, kicking, bumping and generally abusing said motorcycle until at last it burst into life ! Thing is I was sat astride it with the throttle wide open and in gear, the shock of it firing up made me dump the clutch and I set off down the railway line at what seemed like a hundred miles per hour with the back wheel fish tailing and struggling for grip on the wet clay surface. Now forget what you have all been taught about what to do in these situations during your hazard awareness training, I was ten years old and scared shitless ! I shut the throttle off and grabbed the front brake. You can imagine what happened, the bike hit the floor and I tasted a face full of dirt. Did I forget to mention that the fuel filler cap didn't close properly....... the petrol gushed from the fuel tank spilling all over my left leg and completely spoiling the cheese sandwiches, bugger. We obviously learned a lot from this experience and hence forth ALWAYS made sure our sandwiches were well away from any impending doom.

Malcolm.

4. idahostoveguy

idahostoveguy R.I.P.

Looks a lot like an early AGM KampKook or Prentiss Wabers.

Thanks for sharing. Can't wait to see it all done up!

sam

5. mr optimus

mr optimus United Kingdom Subscriber

Hi John so far a brilliant ducumented restoration and everthing superb i am realy looking forward to seeing the Villers inferno compleat and working,and seeing the case all beautifully painted which will realy set all off, i cant wait to see the next chapter

6. nmp

nmp United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

I remember test driving a BSA bantam for a mate of mine who had no license.
    I took it up the road touched the front brake to slow down ready to go back and found myself ploughing the tarmac!! After twisting the forks back in line to match the handle bars by standing with a leg either side of the front wheel [facing the rear] and yanking the handle bars. Got back on it went back down the road and did exactly the same thing again except in front of a cheering mob of mates!! The front drum brake was obviously somehow seizing up and locking the front wheel. The guy who owned the bike never rode that or any other motorcycle after my demonstration of how to fly over the handle bars and injure yourself in several places twice in the space of 150 yards!!
    I would be a cripple for weeks if I did that now!!
    I blame my present arthritis on multiple bike related injuries during a mis-spent youth.
    Time for another tablet.
    Nick

Sorry for hijacking the thread.

7. presscall

Perfectly ok, Nick. Yours and Malcolm's (Tea Belly's) recollection of two-strokes is entirely in keeping with the thread, given the manufacturer. Entertaining as well.

Probably when you were on that Bantam and Malcolm on his Royal Enfield I was wrestling with a 4-stroke Triumph Tiger Cub, my first machine and fortunately (so far) not my last. Tickling the carb on that will most likely be good training for getting this Villiers running, which I'll be doing later on today - photos to follow.

John

8. Wim

Wim Subscriber

Speaking of Villiers, I have a 350cc Mk14B engine, dates from the 1930's. I bought it late '70's, attached to a commercial 3-wheeler (2 wheels up front, motorcycle-like rear end). Sadly, only engine and gearbox are left :( . Also had a 200cc which I gave away (as far as I remember, it sat in a Belgian made SOCOVEL) and a 98cc Junior engine from a Welbike (parachuted during the "race to Berlin" in 1944), it has found a new owner & a new (Welbike) frame some years ago.
    I have been looking for a frame to fit the Mk14B engine, but gave up years ago, no luck!

Best regards,

Wim

9. presscall

Before I could expect the fuel tank to hold pressure I needed to replace the fuel cap fibre seal with a washer cut from 3mm nitrile sheet

1331325586-30.JPG

1331325599-31.JPG

Fuel tank pressurised with the separate pump and with the slider engaged to keep the auxilliary burner shut off so I could concentrate on lighting the primary burner, the right sort of 'inferno' soon resulted

1331325625-29.JPG

Lighting procedure was easy. A slight twiddle of the fuel and air valve control wheels and a light to the burner resulted in a bit of flaring, soon settling down to a steady flame when the generator had got hot enough. Finally, the air valve was shut and the flame adjusted on the fuel control.

Auxilliary burner was easy to light and control on the slider valve

1331325687-25.JPG

1331325660-23.JPG

1331325670-24.JPG

Perfect combustion

1331325647-28.JPG

1331325713-26.JPG

Shame I've to wait until the weather warms up before I can get cracking with the crackle (paint) ... I've read a tented enclosure (paint booth) big enough to take the components to be painted can be heated with a light bulb, so I might give that a go.

John

10. nmp

nmp United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Looking really great John fantastic colour flames.
    Nick

11. presscall

Thanks Nick. A lot easier to get going than those bike engines!

John

12. Admin

Admin Courtesy of Iani

Very nice John. You didn't waste any time getting that one going.

There is another version of the twin burner, but with Cast Iron as on this single burner.

Look forward to seeing the paint job.

Ian

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  13. presscall

Thanks Ian. That's the crackle/wrinkle finish I'm aiming for. You say the burner's cast iron, but on that single burner version, but it looks aluminium to me, or maybe you mean the burner's cast iron and the manifold's aluminium?

Oh, got it, it's the burner type without the perforated ring that mine has, like this one from the fettling forum

Fettling forum post

John

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  14. Admin

Admin Courtesy of Iani

Hi John

I'll put some pictures on tomorrow of it. Its a 2 piece Cast iron arrangment.
    Yours pre dates the one I have got.

Ian

15. presscall

Cheers, Ian. You've got me intrigued!

John

16. Admin

Admin Courtesy of Iani

You put that link in too quick for me John.
    Yes, its that one, but there are some minor differences to the aluminium work.

Ian

17. mr optimus

mr optimus United Kingdom Subscriber

Hi John excellent work there. Both of the burners are operating perfectly, the Villiers has a really good simmer control, a really good engineered stove. I am really looking forward to seeing the new paint work on the case, I am really intrigued in seeing how the crinkle finish paint will look.

18. Admin

Admin Courtesy of Iani

Morning John

The cast iron burner plates, from the images that are already on CCS and yours, the Villiers all have minor differences, it appears that not one is the same.

I have got not doubt, that yours is the first production model John.
    For those who have not seen it, a Villiers Farmers Glory.

1331377440-IMG_4613_opt.jpg

1331377388-IMG_4611_opt.jpg

19. monkeyboy

Man, that is beautiful.

The Prentiss Waber I have doesn't have a built in pump. Also plenty of surface rust on the case from laying in a wet basement.
    Fantastic restoration. Really fine work and the photos are exceptional.
    I know hat to shoot for when I start on the Preway.
    buzz

20. presscall

Cheers, Buzz.

Good luck with the PW.

John