Viton 3mm group buy

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by parramethtrol, Sep 14, 2009.

1. parramethtrol

parramethtrol Subscriber

hi all
    after reading the Nitrile thread i'm quite happy to continue to use my nitrile for tank caps as they are easy to check the condition of but would prefer some Viton for nrv and srv pips just for piece of mind (i'm crap at fettling so would rather not have to repeatedly replace nrv's due to iffy materials)
    i did a tentative sniff around the internet for viton sheet in 3mm i have come up with a price of 3mm @ £165.45p per sq/mtr :shock: plus £12 post
    the spec is (from the website)

VITON SPEC SHEET
    HARDNESS 75 +/- 5 SHORE A
    SPECIFIC GRAVITY 2.0 +/- 0.05
    ELONGATION @ BREAK APP.200%
    TENSILE STRENGTH 9 N/mm sq
    TEAR RESISTANCE 10 N/mm sq
    WEAR 180MM CUBED

RESISTANT TO OILS, PETROLS, ACID, LYES
    SUITABLE FOR SHORT DURATION PEAK TEMPERATURES UPTO 300C

APPLICATIONS FOR VITON
    SEALS, UNDERLAYS AND GASKETS AS USED IN:APPARATUS CONSTRUCTION, ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING,
    MOTOR VEHICLE MANUFACTURE, SHIPBUILDING, AIRCRAFT CONSTRUCTION, CHEMICAL ENGINEERING,
    ARE TO NAME JUST A FEW INDUSTRIES WHERE THIS VERSATILE MATERIAL CAN BE USED

obviously i can't afford to buy a metre square piece for myself but if there were 10 of us interested then we could each have a bit either 100mm by 1000m or 200mm by 500mm this should be enough to do hundreds of pips and at £17.70 isn't stretching the bank balance to far

so can someone who knows their stuff check the spec posted above and if it is the correct hardness let me know
    if it's a go'er then the cash would need to be collected first if i am to order it as i don't have that sort of cash to splash around if anyone else can order some then please count me in

btw i'm not particularly keen on me being the one doing the ordering ;)
    and this is just a forum thing i have no intention of ordering loads and supplying the world or ebay if your up for it make your interest known

to the Mods
    i hope this is allowed if not please remove the thread as i don't want to be breaking any rules

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  2. Cypryphrenia

If no one minds I would be up for some of that.

3. fyldefox

fyldefox R.I.P.

Seems fine to me Bill, group buys are one way we can achieve more as a group than we can individually . . .just don't need any at the moment !

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  4. parramethtrol

parramethtrol Subscriber

that's two of us 8 to go :thumbup:

nice one Keith

btw i'm not trying to impinge on littledre's nitrile sales, i just want to fettle my stoves once and use the best material i can get my hands on

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  5. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator, R.I.P. Subscriber

Hi Bill

Well researched. The Viton I have seen is much more expensive than the costs you are quoting.
    Viton is a great material and is way over the specification needed. Certainly, a NRV 'pip' made from Viton should last forever.

However, correct grade nitrile should last for years. I am not sure what material Primus used 40 years ago, but the stoves I bought back then are still working fine with their original NRVs.

6. parramethtrol

parramethtrol Subscriber

hi Trevor
    the firm that came back with a decent quote were tym and the product page is viton
    i enquired about 2mm and 3mm below is a cut'n'paste from the email that i got in reply

HI
    We do stock viton sheet 2mm and 3mm 1mtr wide

2mmthk @ £116.58p per sq/mtr
    3mmthk @ £165.45p per sq/mtr

Del ex-stock

Carriage £12

Regards

Nick

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015