WANTED: Optimus 99

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Dorraine Stanley, Jan 16, 2019.

1. Dorraine Stanley

I bought an Optimus 8R to take on a paddling trip, but now I'm wanting to get an Optimus 99, too. If anyone has one for sale, please give a holler.

I'm also checking ebay and LetGo. Anywhere else I should look?

2. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

@Dorraine Stanley ,

Send me a PT, and let me know more about what you want to get, in a 99 stove, i.e. "Mint", "user", "beat up", etc., I might be able to help you. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

3. Dorraine Stanley

@Doc Mark, I'm not sure what PT is. I'm assuming it's private messaging, though. I tried to click on your profile to see if I could message you that way, but I kept getting an error message.

Anyway, I'm not looking for anything mint, by any means. I'd rather it not be dented up though. Minor dents are okay. I probably won't use the strap that holds the lid on, so if it's missing that, that's fine. I will need the wind screen and handle, though.

And thank you very much for responding so quickly!

4. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

@Dorraine Stanley ,

Yes, "PT" is a private message. It may be that, since you are not a Subscriber here, you cannot use that function. Though, of course, it's up to you, the meager cost of subscribing to CCS, is WELL worth it, and you should consider joining up with the rest of us Stove Pyros!!

If you're not in a super hurry, I can go down to the Hobbit Hole, and see what I have that I can pass your way. There might be a good user 99 in the things I'm slowly selling for our departed friend, @bajabum, as I promised Steve to sell off his collection, with all monies going to his now widow. I'll let you know what I find, when time permits for me to do some digging down there. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

PS - if I have one of Steve's 99 stoves down there, the cost would not be horrible, but remember, it's going for a very good cause, to help support the family of our fallen friend!

5. Dorraine Stanley

In his memory, I'd be honored to carry on the good use of good gear. His stove will travel the length of the Mississippi River! What sort of turnaround time are you thinking?

6. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator, R.I.P. Subscriber

@Dorraine Stanley

For a PM (Personal Message) sometimes called PT (Personal Topic), hover your cursor over your ID name at the top right.
    You will get a drop-down menu. Choose ' Conversation' and you will be able to contact any member personally.

7. Dorraine Stanley

@shagratork

Ah-hah. It worked. I started a "Conversation" with @Doc Mark. Thank you for the instructions.

8. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

@shagratork , Trevor,

Many thanks for helping with this, Mate!! Good on ya'!

Doc

9. JP2

JP2 Subscriber

The 99 is like the 8r as power. Does your 8r is working now? Have you tried to fix it?

10. Dorraine Stanley

@JP2,

Yes, it's up and running now -- now that I'm using the right fuel. O:) I tried to burn alcohol in it. Oops. lol. I've been using it to heat up coffee, just to try and get familiar with the feel of it. I really like it.

I got this 8R to take on a long kayaking trip. I like its size, the stability, and ease of use. I thought the priming would be a pain in the butt, but it's actually pretty easy. What I especially like about it is that when I'm ready to pack up, all I have to do is shut the lid and put it in the boat. Done. No disassembling or packing.

I considered something like the Jetboil, but I think that stove would be too much work. You have to unpack what’s tucked inside of it, put the stabilizing legs on the gas canister, screw the stove onto the canister, then screw the pot onto the stove. And then it's top heavy. It's a well-throughout compact set-up, but just too much piddling for my taste. But with my 8R, there's no having to break it down to put it away. All I have to do is shut the lid. And if I were to compare the size of the Jetboil to the size of the 8R, they’d be neck and neck.

So I’ve been trying to think about cookware for the 8R, how I could nest the stove into a pot to make things compact. But I don’t know if square cookware even exists. Anyway, so that’s how my mind jumped to the 99. I mean, I noticed the 99 lid when I was shopping for stoves, and I liked that feature, but I didn’t like how the weight of the bowl of water is off center of the stove, instead of directly in the middle for stability. I visualize it tipping over. But I'm willing to try it, and if I don’t like it, I can always turn around and sell it.

11. monkeyboy

i picked up an Optimus 8R the other day. found the stove in an antique mall. stove was in pretty good shape cosmetically and had the pump cap and pump. didn't really need another 8R and felt like leaving it for the next guy but also i could see that the pump cap needed serviced. i thought if a noobie bought the stove and couldn't get the pump cap working he might just toss the stove so i made an offer and brought it home. besides the idea of working on a stove always gets me, makes my day and the price i paid for the whole package was about what pump and cap are worth nowadays.
    the Optimus 8R. what a wonderful little stove. some stovies say the 8R is under powered, well it might be if you want a flame thrower.
    years ago when a friend of mine first came to Alaska he used his 8R with a Coleman oven to bake biscuits. he said it was kinda awkward but it was all he had at the time and still has fond memories of using the stove back then. he is a Colin Fletcher fan.
    the 8R is old school. well made, small, great for back packing so on so forth.
    i like the 8R because it 'is' small. something about being kind of a runt but still having the goods does it for me.
    hikerduane has a heck of a collection of 8R's.

12. SimonFoxxx

SimonFoxxx Subscriber

The 8R was my first stove in 1975. Many happy days in the hills, using it for meals and cups of tea after a hard day of tramping. I have two now, and a Russian copy.

Cheers
    Simon Foxxx.

13. Rickybob United Kingdom Banned

Not saying this 2 b a horses arse _ but Bajabum has been away with the angels 4 a while now and DM seems 2 be sat tight on those stoves like he hopes they might hatch
    GET 'EM ON EBAY SAY'S I!
    With international shipping of course
    Let the dogs see the rabbit!

14. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

Well, you may not intend it, but your writing comes across as such.

DM, you mean DS?
    DS is a she, not a he.

Doc is the administrator of the stove estate. I think that he can do as he sees fit, without anyone questioning his efforts.
    No one else stood up to take charge. His efforts are above and beyond in my mind.

15. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Regarding, Bajabum's stoves, I have already sold off quite a bit of his collection, as you might have noticed in one of our CASG events. As for the rest of it, I've been in contact with Mrs Bajabum, and our plan is going as intended. WHEN TIME PERMITS, I will be taking photos and offering all that remains in Steve's collection here at CCS. Mrs BB is quite happy with the way things have gone, and so am I. I will NOT be listing Steve's things on eBay, and will only offer them here. There are many good things still to be had, in the way of stoves, lanterns, and lots of various parts. This task is time intensive, but I'm honored to continue chipping away at it, and will do so until all of Steve's things have been passed on to needy Stovies here on this forum. IF some folks are impatient, that's their problem, and not mine!!

@snwcmpr , Thank you, my friend, for your kind words, and support. As I know that you, too, did your part when we had the Bajabum stove fest at that CASG, I thank you for standing up, and helping as you have!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

16. Rickybob United Kingdom Banned

The acorn never falls far from the oak
    as they say
    I have some spare cash at the moment
    and I want to buy a stove
    Give some non Americans a fair go

17. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

RB,

As this is an International forum, any and all members here will have a chance to see, and buy Steve's goodies. I'd say that's a "fair go" for anyone, and everyone here at CCS. Good enough? By the way, more than a few CCS members, from all over the World, contacted me upon Steve's passing, and asked to be able to send donations to his fund, which each and every one of them did! This has been an International effort since the beginning. FYI.

Doc

18. Rickybob United Kingdom Banned

I beg to differ - mere members are excluded
    only subscribers can access the trading post
    that requires a fee to the 'napoleon of stoves' which alas I will not pay
    your reluctance to sell on ebay seems irrational to me - given the outrageous prices stoves have commanded lately ( subject to confirmation - I am wary of auctions where the bidders identities are hidden )
    you are doing the intended beneficiaries a disservice

perhaps we could twist your arm to offer one or two - just to test the waters so to speak and give the wider stove community a chance to buy one

19. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

RB,

You, Sir, understand NOTHING!! And, I am finished corresponding with you, Sir! Furthermore, due to your very poor attitude, and whining nature, I will not sell you anything, period! I am going to continue helping my friend as best I can. YOU, Sir, can go straight to HELL!

Doc

20. Rickybob United Kingdom Banned

you are amongst friends here and highly regarded - rightly so
    but you really must seek the help of professionals
    get a check up from the neck up!