WARNING: DANGEROUS PUMP OFFERED FOR SALE!!

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Doc Mark, Feb 21, 2016.

1. Doc Mark

Doc Mark SotM Winner Subscriber

Good Morning, Stovies,

Recently, we had a fellow join us, subscribe, and as a first post, setup a poll question. His next real post was also a poll question. From photos he posted, which I knew that I'd seen before, I found that he is an ebay seller, and after going back and forth with this fellow, now believe that he has NO interest in learning about stoves, and was simply mining CCS members for information that might bolster his sales. So be it.... he now, no longer wants to be a member here.

However, his sales had drawn my interest, and so after a bit of consideration, I decided to jump in on a certain MSR stove and pump he was offering. He commented, in his auction, that he had fired up the stove/pump combination, and that they worked. The stove in question was of little interest to me, as I already have a better one than he has listed, But, the pump..... ahhhh, the pump! Turns out, it is MSR's very first pump, the white one with the square regulating knob. I already have one of those, which I have never used, due to a small crack in the pump housing. This was an ubiquitous problem with those early pumps, and so MSR replaced them with a second pump, then when that one, too, began to fail, a third pump!!! So, I was prepared to "go big" on this fellow's sale, just to get the pump!! But, this morning, upon closer scrutiny, I put everything on full stop!!!

Check his listing:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/381548632610?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Here are a few photos to show you why, and why I STRONGLY encourage you NOT to buy this pump!!!

Here's my pump #1, which you will see, is in very good condition. But, it does have a small crack where the fuel line enters the pump, rendering it unsafe to use:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Here are two shots of the pump being offered. Note that the crack underneath the fuel line entry, is HUGE, and any attempt to use this pump would immediately cause a massive leak, and if that happened, a conflagration of huge proportions!!!

4.jpg

OK, that's bad enough. But, the kicker, and the real deal breaker is that the entire other end of the pump is BROKEN OFF!!! Instead of a narrow tube, which holds the keeper pins, hose, brass fitting, spring, and NRV pip in place, there is a large washer, with a plastic stub sticking out of it, and a press-fit keeper!! This pump simply cannot be used, either for building pressure, or for a nice display. It's been mangled and completely ruined at some time in it's obviously rough and mistreated life!!!

5.jpg
    In conclusion, this seller has stated that he has fired up this stove with this pump: THAT, folks, is quite frankly, a lie. And, because of the nature of the damage to this iconic, and once wonderful pump, it is exceedingly dangerous, and absolutely would NOT build pressure. NO NRV and not place where one use to go!! SHEESH!!!

This is the sort of lie that can result in death and destruction, Folks. As for me, I'm putting this seller on my permanent DO NOT BUY, list. You may, of course, do what you want. But, keep in mind, as his listings all have the same wording, if he has lied about testing and condition on this auction, then I am exceedingly suspect of his telling the truth in any other auction, as well. FYI!! Take care, and God save us from those who blatantly misrepresent their sales offerings, to the point of endangering the buyer!!

Disappointed and Concerned,
    Doc

2. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

I hope that whoever gets the stove and pump (evidently someone will - three bidders so far) reads your warning, Doc, or otherwise becomes aware of the hazard.

Good for you.

John

3. snwcmpr

snwcmpr SotM Winner Subscriber

Thanks Doc.

4. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator, R.I.P. Subscriber

Let us hope that the new subscriber reads this report and stops his own sale.

5. Metropolitantrout

Metropolitantrout SotM Winner Subscriber

I smell a Darwin award nominee.

6. presscall

It's possible, now we know that - like Hotel California - on CCS you can check out any time you like but you can never leave ...

7. snwcmpr

8. idahostoveguy

idahostoveguy R.I.P.

It's such a lovely place, such a lovely place! And there's plenty of room!

sam

9. presscall

10. Wim

Wim Subscriber

Yeah, but someone should bring them some fresh eating utensils, they're all bend by stabbing the beast... Really love that song, great guitar solo!

11. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator, R.I.P. Subscriber

The twin lead guitars.

12. snwcmpr

OMG, I forgot how really good that is!!!!!
    They make it look easy.

13. Ray123

Ray123 Subscriber

They sure look young in Trevor's video.
    Here's one more recent. Rip Glenn.

14. snwcmpr

I see that it makes me think I am old. (I am old) I like the older one.

I was listening to Joe (James Gang) on 8 track when I came back to Hawaii from that war in SE Asia.

Member, Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club.

15. scouterjan

scouterjan Subscriber

can't get much better than those early years of the Eagles. Mark, I think your post has been hijacked, but thanks for the warning

16. Doc Mark

Evening, Jan,

Yeah, I started with a serious dire warning and the next thing you know, I'm trapped in The Hotel California!!!!!! :shock::shock::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: Oh, well...... the Eagles ARE one of my most favorite groups from back then!

But, getting back to my original point, for at least as long as it takes for me to post this, I sure do hope nobody buys that horrid excuse for a pump, and burns down their house, or worse!!! Time for dinner...... left-over lamb, and it's so tender, I don't HAVE to stab it with my steely knifes, the beast gave it's tender life willingly!! Ummmmm!!! Thanks for the laugh, Jan. Much appreciated! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Mark (who feels like he's been, standin' on a corner in Winslow, Arizona.........)

17. geeves

geeves New Zealand Subscriber

That ebay name has come up before I think and not just running away from a Californian politician

18. Doc Mark

Bed...... Bedtime...... calling me..... and yet, I resist.....!!! I loved "Dirty Laundry", and very much miss Glenn Fry and his musical talents! Speaking of the James Gang, Ken: I used to love "Funk 49" a ton, and I always asked our guitar and keyboard players to do that one, just for fun, quite often! Simple, gutsy, and balls to the wall: what's not to like?!! Many thanks, my Friend for being a member of the Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club!! Not a pleasure cruise, that's for sure! Thanks for your service, Snwcmpr!!! Goodnight, Stovies, the Sandman is beating the tar out of Ol' Doc, and he's headed to the rack......... God Bless one and all!

Do......ZZZZZzzzzzZZZZZZzzzzzzZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzz.....zz..zzz....z

19. geeves

geeves New Zealand Subscriber

Enter Sandman Thats a different band altogether
    Have you checked under your bed?

20. patatwin

Isn't the beast in your closet, in your head ?
    Haven't heard of this song for years !