Warning to those buying from eBay and the Global Shipping Program

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Johnathan, Jul 24, 2021.

1. Johnathan Canada

This is a warning to everyone who buys camp stoves and lanterns and such off of eBay who lives in Canada or the rest of the world and is buying items from the USA. You may end up loosing your purchase.

A lot of US eBay sellers are using the absolute horrible eBay Global Shipping Program. Basically the seller ships the item you have purchased to a third party shipper who then decides if they are going to continue shipping the item you have purchased or refuse to ship it, keep the item and not even return it to the seller.

I normally try to buy from sellers who don't use this awful service, but I found a couple of nice, rare propane camp stoves that I really wanted to add to my collection. Both of these were propane camp stoves, so there was nothing restricted with them in regards to shipping across the board. No liquid fuels or compressed fuel or fuel reside or anything like that shipped with the item. One was a nice, looked unfired, Mr. Camper single burner propane camp stove. If the seller ships direct via USPS, FedEX, UPS then it would of got to me with no issues at all.

But because they shipped via the Global Shipping Program, it gets shipped to the GSP warehouse, which is run thru Pitney Bowes, who receives the packages, opens your package/item, then repackages/tapes up the package, attaches a new shipping label to it and ships it to the final destination. That is, if they let it. I have done a lot of searching after checking my tracking info and it appears this has happened to a lot of people. Basically when you check your tracking info, it will tell you that there is a "Delay at the GSC. System Restriction. Exception: Undeliverable" No one has been able to get a hold of the company and even going thru eBay customer service, like I did last night, gets you no where.

You can't get any explanation as to why the item is undeliverable or restricted or anything. Then they will not return the item to the seller so they can reship it out and they won't send it on to the buyer. You then have to try and go thru the whole process of getting a refund, which the seller may not be willing to give. The interesting thing in my case, is the one item I purchased allowed me to purchase it as it wasn't thru the GSP, but then the seller shipped it thru that. But if you try and purchase an item that goes thru the GSP and they don't like it for some dumb reason, it won't let you purchase it, even though it could be an identical item as to one that another seller is selling.

So let this warning be out there for buyers looking to purchase items off of eBay. Try to find sellers who aren't using the Global Shipping Program, if you want to actually get your purchase.

2. Daryl

Daryl United States SotM Winner Subscriber

Sorry to read this, sold a 502 and MSR to Canada a while back no problem Thinking about buying Enders stove from Netherlands. Thanks for heads up. Maybe problem with shipping items that contained fuel? For me , your mileage may very, I have bought and sold using the Global Shipping Program with no problems. Couple fuel type item and candle lantern to Germany. Using GSP is very easy for sellers and I always know any item shipped internationally is not covered by shipping insurance and I could get nothing for item!

3. Johnathan Canada

Here is what the email they sent me said. They don't tell me why the item is restricted, what is the problem with it or anything. The item in question actually isn't restricted, there is no reason what so ever that it should be of been shipped to me... Honestly though, just because they gave me a refund, they still stole that item from me and I believe they should be held accountable for it.... And the fact that they refuse to return the item to the seller so they can resend it to me direct is pretty sketchy if you ask me.

"RESTRICTED ITEM Dear Johnathan,

We are writing to inform you that your recent purchase through the Global Shipping Program from **** cannot be completed.

The item in question has been deemed restricted. This could be due to import/shipping restrictions or eligibility requirements within the Global Shipping Program. The item will not be shipped to you nor returned to your seller.

Don’t worry! Your full refund will be processed back to the original payment method within 72 hours. You may notice two separate refunds: a refund for the item, and a refund for the shipping and import costs. No further action is needed."

4. Marc

Marc Subscriber

Seeing this on a chainsaw forum I'm on as well, saws being shipped and being confiscated by the global shipping program.

Professionally, export laws in the USA have changed quite recently. We're having to jump through a lot more hoops to get deals done. Wouldn't surprise me if this has bled over to stoves and chainsaws as well.

5. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

Not surprising, so many sellers must lie about shipping restricted items or don't listen to when service asks if any hazardous item in package, upsetting I'm sure when item isn't a restricted item. Over the last 10 years I have received many stoves that still had fuel or were not aired out.
    Duane

6. Twoberth

Twoberth United Kingdom Subscriber

When I sell stoves on eBay in England, eBay UK will not allow me to list them with the GSP option.

So if a stove is bought by an overseas buyer, the buyer and I agree on the courier and the conditions of shipping and I send it privately.

7. Yun124

Yun124 Subscriber

not even only GSP, but also any other services which is the post office basis are really horrible and usually I never use it.
    Only Couriers or reliable 3rd party freight forwarder which is located in the Same country as the Ebay seller that is The only way for delivering the parcel without any further stressful issue like this.

8. snwcmpr

snwcmpr SotM Winner Subscriber

I haven't a package going to Canada that has been in customs for two weeks now.

9. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

I have two stoves from Sweden that took a few days and more to ship out from New York Customs, then two locations in Illinois. Slowest I have ever had from Sweden. Same seller I had communication issues with.
    Duane

10. Dutchmike

GSP is a brilliant invention to persuade lazy or paranoid sellers into offering goods worldwide.

Why? Ebay is constantly looking for ways to increase turnover, of which they have of course their cut. And selling worldwide increases yields. Given the nature of most people to be wary at least, or plain whatever-less, when it comes to send even a letter-sized package to a foreign destination, these poor souls needed a hand. Hey presto: a Global Shipping Program! For many such sellers a relief, because they now have not to fill in a form (wow!) and think all (imagined) trouble and responsibility that comes atop any shipment to a foreign country is out of their hands. All this service comes with a price, to be paid by the buyer in principle, reason for me to look further: I am loath to pay extra for some sellers peace of mind or who is bent on comfort.

Any big, formal organisation works on clear defined structures and principles. Any proces, once active, is not interpreted or handled with logic. And in general, customer service is on the wane. This might explain the often unexplainable selection and infuriating lack of information on why your paid goods disappear.
    Best is to avoid having to rely on these (unnecessary) in betweens, another reason to skip any seller that ships with GSP.

11. paultee

paultee Canada Subscriber

GSP is a racket run by Pitney Bowes. They definitely charge duties when they're not required to (I have an extensive photo equipment collection and Canada has no duties on those products), yet GSP likes to slap you with fictional automated duties. It's convenient how it seems to always fall in their favour. That said, I've never had a photo item not arrive via GSP, it just always takes a detour to their facility in Erlanger, KY.

GSP also doesn't let me bid on US-based stoves instead sending me to a page about restricted items. I assume it works the same way for Canadian listed stoves. In fact, just by bid numbers I can guess that's the case.

I actually have a US-based stove on the way as I type but it's being sent by USPS so fingers crossed it can cross. My first attempt to "sneak" one past GSP!

12. snwcmpr

I have a box going to Canada. It took 5 days to get to Canada Customs. It has been there 2 weeks, still "waiting for item".

13. Dutchmike

So what is your point - what has it got to do with GSP? The five days -within a system- only says something when a parcel is scanned on the other side after arrival. In general Covid and cut-backs do not help in swift procedures anywhere.

14. snwcmpr

That there are problems with every service.

15. Dutchmike

That is very true, but all surmountable - in principle. Think of tens of thousands of packages shipped worldwide each day.