Washing a really dirty stove.

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by G1gop, Feb 27, 2021.

1. G1gop

G1gop United Kingdom Subscriber

Kind of following on from Primus No1 -Would you bother thread,I have (prob like most) some really very dirty old stoves. Not rare. Not complete,etc that I just keep forgetting about. This thread made me think I should really look at a few and do something with them.
    so if you had a stove that isn't 'special'. Filthy as sin. Crud , dirt etc. you know the type of stove that has been unloved at the back of the barn for many lifetimes, would you wash it first(soak in water/soap solution etc) first? Or try to strip it down first? i.e. remove the nvr etc. They are probably very stuck in.
    I will be changing the seal etc anyway, so my thought are soak and wash it first. What do you do?
    Also what soap/cleaner would you use? just basic soap or something more aggressive? more alkali? I have heard of some using dishwasher tablets etc but are they too alkali?
    Alan

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
  2. redspeedster

redspeedster Romania Subscriber

I just wash mine with biological laundry detergent with hand hot water and a brush.
    Then rinse and let dry in the sun if there is any but more usually dry with paper towels and air in the shed.

3. z1ulike

z1ulike United States SotM Winner Subscriber

I'd recommend Speedy White or some other fireplace cleaner.

"Speedy White cleans all fireplaces, fireplace glass doors and stove surfaces like nothing else. Our time-proven product also cleans brick, stone, cloth, vinyl, carpeting, plastics and fiberglass. Our customers have found countless uses for Speedy White including cleaning whitewall tires, grimy plastic computers & keyboards and much more. Creosote Removal - Soot Cleaning - Fireplace Cleaning - Hearth Cleaning - and as a Grill Cleaner!"

Ben

4. snwcmpr

snwcmpr SotM Winner Subscriber

I like soap and water so I can keep the patina.

5. Rangie

Rangie Subscriber

Soap and water to get the majority of it off.
    If there is lots of verdigris, I rub in oil (Wearing a pair of gloves), this tends to loosen/shift it away so you generally get the copperish hue instead of the greenish verdigris hue.
    If i'm being fussy, a quick going over with autosol to even the patina out, then a good rub all over with oil and a dry with a rag.
    Leave it a few days and it develops a nice brassy (but not polished) careworn patina, job done :thumbup:

Alec.

6. ArchMc

ArchMc SotM Winner Subscriber

Start with soap and hot water and a soft cloth or sponge, and see what you've got afterwards.

If it's really cruddy, you want to get a bunch of that off before you try and remove parts.

....Arch

7. Twoberth

Twoberth United Kingdom Subscriber

Dishwashing liquid, sponge and soft toothbrush.