Washing Soda - where to buy?

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by John Leah, Nov 30, 2009.

1. John Leah

I want to use electrolysis to rid some on my stoves of that pesky rust so need some washing soda. Easy enough you may think (I certainly did) but all the shops I've tried have looked at me blankly and asked: "do you mean washing powder?"

It really shouldn't be this difficult so any suggestions where in the UK I should try next?

Perhaps if I had a brand name to try out in the next shop I may have more success - but then again...

Cheers,
    John

2. SNOWGOOSE

In ASDA or TESCO

1259606494-soda_1_IMG_8460_opt.jpg 1259606511-soda_2_IMG_8461_opt.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  3. John Leah

Perfect - just what I was looking for, thanks.

I'll print the picture, take it to the store and when the next spotty yoof asks if I want washing powder I'll be able to show them the picture and say: "NO I "$%^£!* well don't!". :lol: :lol:

Cheers,
    John

4. Stelllar

Hi there, I use baking soda, environmentally friendly, cheap and readily available, 4 tablespoons make 1 Liter of water conductive, for small items a stainless steel spoon or fork connected to the positive ( + ) terminal hanging in the solution next to the item being de-rusted connected to the negative terminal ( - ) works just fine, Epsom salts works also. Cheers'

5. lanevitt

lanevitt Subscriber

Hi Stellar..

S/steel is a bad idea in an electrolysis bath.
    Iron....steel is the way to go. Chromium in the s/steel when released is harmfull to the user and bad for the environment.

6. John Leah

Hi Stellar,

Yes, I'd read somewhere that baking soda works but it tends to be much more expensive than I'd imagined a washing product to be. However, if, despite the pointer that Snowgoose gave me, I still can't get any I'll use baking soda - I'm sure my wife wouldn’t notice it's all gone :lol:

Re using a stainless for the anode: I'd also read Here this causes the chromium component to leach out making the water toxic. Of course this may all be fiction but then again...

Cheers,
    John

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  7. fyldefox

fyldefox R.I.P.

John look in the cleaning secton, not the washing powder section !

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  8. itchy

No, its cheaper. Baking soda is about the cheapest thing you can buy at a supermarket in the states, something like 50 cents a box.
    And you only use a small portion of it. Too much and you will drawn too much current, you don't want to heat the water. ;)
    In any case, washing powder may work as well, and a little detergent in with the soda will help cut through oil and dirt.
    Tip: use the old stuff from the kitchen, buy your wife a new box for the holidays -- Big Spender.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  9. Stelllar

Hi there, thanks for the info, I was not aware of this.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  10. Stelllar

Hi there, thanks for the info, I purchase baking soda from the Bulk section of the local Super Store here in Canada, sorry I do not have the price but it was something like 12 cents per hundred grams ? and as I recall a couple of dollars for a large plastic bag full. Cheers'

11. lanevitt

lanevitt Subscriber

Hi again

If you enter electrolysis in the search box on the right of the page, there is a bundle of information and ideas on the subject from many of the CCS members. Its good reading. (as is 99.999% of the information here)

12. Stelllar

Thanks, I'll check it out. All the best.....

13. SNOWGOOSE

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  14. John Leah

Hi Snowgoose,

Thanks for the link, their soda crystals are so cheap I'll certainly be buying from them.

I have found a small bottle in ASDA but it was much more expensive although it has given me something to play with. It appears where I was going wrong was to ask for 'washing soda' in the washing powder departments while it's more likely to be found as 'soda crystals' in the cleaning department.

For my electrolysis experiments I've dusted off an old power supply I used to use for charging my caving lamps which has much more control over the voltage provided.

In fact, I think I'll go and wire it up right now :)

Cheers,
    John

15. rik_uk3

Wilkinsons sell it and either Tesco or Asda, can't remember which.

16. RonPH

ok, while we are on the topic of electrolysis, I have 3 rusted metal potlegs, do I have to do it one at a time or can I just connect all 3 of them on to the negative side of the terminal?

Ron

17. bajabum

bajabum R.I.P.

You can hook up lots of metal, just keep + and - seperated a bit...
    Hot water speeds things up too!

18. RonPH

Thanks, will be my first and show post some pictures.

Ron