What is the Trangia simmer ring shutter coated with?

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by TRA_A, Aug 9, 2020.

1. TRA_A United Kingdom

I have always wondered what the Trangia simmer ring's aperture shutter is coated with given that it is exposed to flame?

Is it superior to stainless steel in some way?

2. Hazet

Hazet Subscriber

I can't give you a definitive answer, but the coatings have changed over the years.
    The earlier brown (top) coating used to be smooth. The newer type coating has a textured pattern.
    The underside looks to be somewhat the same. Perhaps some kind of Teflon/PTFE? I looked at the newest Trangia burner I have, and on the underside there is lettering on the coating. Perhaps that can be used to identify it?
    Or send Trangia an email and ask them? They used to be pretty good about replying to emails. Not sure if that has changed during the pandemic.

Not sure how or why a stainless cover would be and improvement, or even necessary. It might be too difficult/fragile to crimp the pivot hole to the rest of the ring? Might need new tooling to stamp the cover plates, with minimal or no gain? Not worth it to add another material into the manufacturing process?

IMG_4553.JPG
    IMG_4554.JPG

3. TRA_A United Kingdom

I presumed stainless was the easy option... so I wondered what Trangia used :)

4. Hazet

Hazet Subscriber

I tested 5 simmer ring plate covers, ranging from the first style (no tab to move the cover) to the newst one I have (pictured above). In every case, the material that the cover flap is made of is magnetic, so I'm thinking some kind of steel.

5. 907_Nick

907_Nick United States Subscriber

Not sure what the brown stuff is. I was guessing just a high temp paint. Mine has burnt off during low simmer bake sessions.

6. Yun¹²⁴ Korea, Republic of

Hello, I've an experience with Trangia official Email contact to know a kind of MSDS/ BPA free or not / Exact material for specified model n. of Trangia. then Trangia had replied with several attachments in order to make all clear, so finally I had got all information what I wanted to know.
    So I suggest that if you don't mind, you can email to Trangia Sweden official email, then you would have the reply very soon with the proper information & MSDS for that item, the simmer ring of alcohol sprit burner.
    Yun

7. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

Yes, contact with Trangia, in Sweden, about any issues you would have with a Trangia product, is a great idea.

8. TRA_A United Kingdom

Ok, Thanks.

9. Spiritburner

Spiritburner Admin SotM Winner Subscriber

Aye, good question! Let us know if they tell you - would be interesting to know. I don't think it will come under the same requirements as MSDS to be divulged, may even be a material or treatment they want to keep secret from the clone makers! :lol:

10. TRA_A United Kingdom

I got a reply:

The pivoted simmer shutter is galvanized steel (this and a coating are used rather than stainless steel for production reasons).

The paint is “environmental friendly” and can be overheated which will leave it functionally OK, but with burnmarks.

Its good that Trangia sell spare simmer rings unlike esbit and their stainless simmer ring.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
  11. Hazet

Hazet Subscriber

TRA_A, Thank you for taking the time to contact Trangia and posting their information! Very helpful, and good to know for future reference.

12. Yun¹²⁴ Korea, Republic of

Good, thanks for yr sharing.

13. Twoberth

Twoberth United Kingdom Subscriber

14. Spiritburner

Spiritburner Admin SotM Winner Subscriber

That's a fast response. Commendable. Thanks for passing it on.