1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is this, M1950?

Discussion in 'Military' started by Billofthenorth, Aug 14, 2016.

1. Billofthenorth

Billofthenorth United States Subscriber

I saw it up for auction and figured I'd give it a new home unless the price gets too high but I'm not quite sure what it is or what is missing. The post says it's missing a knob but doesn't show the back side well.
    A little help?

UNK stove.jpg

UNK stove 2.jpg

2. Billofthenorth

Darn my quest for knowledge. Once again I asked a question with the answer easily obtainable online. I guess that happens with some of us prehistoric, pre-computer public library raised throw backs.

3. HercL4D2

HercL4D2 United States Subscriber

4. Etherman

Etherman United States Subscriber

It appears that it was painted with blue paint over the original green. They also came with a wrench, spare generator and a two piece aluminum case

5. Billofthenorth

Thanks for the replies....I may bid on it. I'll let you know how it goes if I do.

6. Billofthenorth

I won it and it arrived yesterday. Rogers, 1966.
    This thing has patina and I'm going to keep it as is as much as possible. All those scrapes, scuffs, scorch marks, the old paint lurking and showing through the blue and even the rust give it character.
    The seals and gaskets, knob and tool (already ordered, also arrived yesterday from OCP) will be replaced as I take it apart. I put denatured alcohol into the fount to help clean out the green scale, though otherwise it looks pretty clean and it pumped for a while and held pressure. But the leather pump cup tore off inside the tube so that has been replaced with the new one after a short delay to figure out how to separate the two parts of the cap. The pump handle contained the expected spare parts though the graphite packing didn't survive the 50 year journey. The pip still seems pliable as does the gasket and after the leather cup was replaced I was able to get alcohol flowing and even a short burn and shut off, though I know it uses white gas. I don't think I'll try a real burn until I get the needle gasket replaced.

One question, I placed a Nitrile ring in between the two cap portions to keep them separated a bit and ease in opening the pump. I've found I need to screw down the bottom portion first to get a positive seal with the tank, then the top portion but there doesn't seem to be any other problems from it. Does anyone foresee any trouble that might result from this?

IMAG0002.JPG

IMAG0004.JPG

7. teckguy_58

teckguy_58 United States Subscriber

@Billofthenorth

Hi,

Looks like you have things taken care of. You will also need the control nob screw to hold the nob in place.

http://www.oldcolemanparts.com/product.php?productid=124&cat=23&page=5

You might want to get a extra generator and an extra rebuild kit. Also maybe an extra graphite packing.

http://www.oldcolemanparts.com/product.php?productid=3256&cat=23&page=4

http://www.oldcolemanparts.com/product.php?productid=22&cat=23&page=1

http://www.oldcolemanparts.com/product.php?productid=2280&cat=37&page=1

Looking forward to seeing your stove up and running.

Cheers,
    Norman

8. Billofthenorth

@teckguy_58

Thanks. I didn't notice the screw or packing when I was ordering parts. They are now on my wish list for the next order. :)

~Bill

9. teckguy_58

Hi Bill,

Glad to be of some help.

Cheers,
    Norman

10. Billofthenorth

...and now the money shot. Function test. Love that roar and how easy it is to light up and a near instant shut off. IMAG0009.JPG
    IMAG0004.JPG I forgot to order the screw - will be added to next order. IMAG0003.JPG It hasn't been cleaned up much, I'll get the grit and grime out in due time but that paint job will be staying the same.
    IMAG0005.JPG Now without the O-ring.
    IMAG0007.JPG One more of that blue!

I didn't manage to get a picture but the pre-heat cup has a rope type wick in it. Asbestos?

Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
  11. teckguy_58

Hi Bill,

Great job getting the old girl up and running.

Cheers,
    Norman

12. ArchMc

ArchMc United States Subscriber

Could be, or maybe fiberglass. Either way, you shouldn't need to mess with it.

....Arch

13. Billofthenorth

And just to update, I finally got around to replacing what was probably the original fuel needle gasket (donut). It finally gave up the ghost a few days ago.
    The pip was replaced some time ago.
    I used an oil filter wrench around the fount and an adjustable wrench to turn out the valve. I saw this method somewhere online and the even pressure around the fount seemed better than possibly crushing it with a vise. I really can't get a good enough grip on the fount to turn the valve out in the vise so...
    It all worked well with no trouble, cleaned up good enough and went back together and functions properly.
    I think I like it more than when I first got it. Such a fun, simple little stove. I'm on the lookout now for more M'50s or 536's.

hogbacks brewup m50 2.jpg

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
  14. Billofthenorth

And thanks for all the help with parts.

15. teckguy_58

Hi Bill,

You are welcome.

Cheers,
    Norman