What is this?

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Bart Hammontree, May 8, 2021.

1. Bart Hammontree

Hi

I just picked this 2 burner stove up at an antique stove. No manufacturer information at all on the stove that I could see. Does anyone know who made this or where I could get parts?

thanks

Attached Files:

2. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

@Bart Hammontree AGM. Which model would be easier to identify if yours was un-stowed.

I’ve a 3-burner model with similarities. Marketed by JC Higgins outlet but AGM manufacture.

3. Bart Hammontree

Thanks- I will take some more photos when I get home and post.

4. Bart Hammontree

I got home and oiled the pump and filled the tank and it seems to burn great. Still need to clean it up, but I think it will work well for camping with the kids. Here are a few more pics if you can ID the model and age.

Thanks IMG_1454.jpg IMG_1459.jpg IMG_1460.jpg

5. Bart Hammontree

The only mark I found on it was a 7 stamped on the valve body.

6. Bart Hammontree

7. Lance

Bart that is an American Gas & Machine stove made in Albert Lea, MN. The large generator style is for use with either leaded automotive gasoline or Coleman fuel/white gas. They are the only company that made such a generator. Thus you can fuel your stove from the pump or from the white gas can. If you choose to use this stove with automotive fuel DO NOT use it in any kind of an enclosure as the fumes will make you very sick. Under a roof with all four sides open is ok but make sure you are up wind of the stove.

The wind break wings should be wider open when in use to prevent burning of the paint. Not a total repass but a good place to start.

Lance

8. Bart Hammontree

Lance

Thanks for all the great info! Do you have any idea of how old this stove might be? Also I was wondering if this is original paint. I haven’t seen one this color online, and was wondering if someone has painted it.

Thanks

Bart

9. hiddenhider

That generator filter is a dead giveaway, these stoves were produced when leaded gasoline was still available; not that I would trust that filter at all.

that blue color appears to be original from the spot on the lid that shows no other color paint. It is possible that it was produced for Sears to be sold through their mail catalog; but that’s just a guess from that specific color.

10. ArchMc

ArchMc SotM Winner Subscriber

The additives in automotive gasoline won't combust completely, and will leave deposits that eventually clog the generator. The larger diameter generator (also included on some Coleman "dual fuel" stoves) was made fatter so that it takes longer to clog. If you want the generator to last, it's still best to use white gas fuels (such as Coleman Fuel).

....Arch