What not to do with your stove!

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Jack Ryan, Jan 19, 2022.

1. Jack Ryan United Kingdom

Not sure where to put this but I thought it might give you a laugh in these dark days so here goes.

Some years ago I was climbing in the Lake District with 3 other guys and after a long day
    we decided to retire to the pub at Wasdale head. Had too much to drink of course and left a little bit later than planned.
    The idea was to walk over into Great Langdale and camp at the big (ish) site there.
    As things got darker we thought in the end to stop over at Sprinkling Tarn and go on in the morning.

( Scene is now set)
    Eventually managed to get the two tents up in a fashion and after all the beer started to make something to eat.
    My Optimus 00 fired up nicely and a mates Primus followed on. Best idea was ONE big pot and each of us to chuck something in , get it nice and hot then dole it out with all the remaining bread etc.

I managed to step on my head torch and smash it and about the same time my friends head torch batteries ''died''. So half blind and not a little worse for the beer ( but far from drunk )
    we each added a tin or so into this one big pot.
    The resulting stew wet down ok except for we thought it was just a tad sweet for some reason.
    Still what does it matter when your hungry and tired.

It was only the following morning that the 4 accused persons each refused to confess as to WHO HAD PUT THE TIN OF PEACHES IN THE POT.????? along with Chunky Veg soup, tin of stewed steak, tin of
    corned beef.

Still makes me smile when i remember that day.

Hope you'll all forgive the ramblings of a now well retired climber with too many memories of times past in the hills, And if I've posted this in the wrong place please feel free to correct me .....Ta!
    ( PS. for those unfamiliar with the English Lakes you'll find Google maps Satellite view a good reference)
    Jack

2. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

Funny. The peaches gave it some color which you couldn't see!.
    Duane

3. z1ulike

z1ulike United States SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

What a peachy story. I actually think that's how they come up with new recipes.

Ben

4. OMC

OMC United States Subscriber

hello @Jack Ryan
    welcome. i have read and appreciate your posts and comments.
    re Hope you'll all forgive the ramblings of a now well retired climber with too many memories of times past in the hills

Perfect, good stuff, many members have that in common with you, i can't think of better input here or maybe anything goes lounge.
    ---------------------

re
    WHAT NOT TO DO WITH YOUR STOVE !!! and NEED YOUR HELP AGAIN PLEASE! and
    COLEMAN FUEL, ESSENTIAL OR NOT?

just a friendly site rule, going forward, FYI: "Please do not post in all CAPITALS as it indicates shouting & makes posts harder to read. If you wish to indicate shouting restrict capitals to a few words."

no biggie, no worries, no report, no corrections/reply needed, you're good, real good and off to a good start,

like you, i'm just another fellow stovie, i've no role with the site

Last edited: Jan 19, 2022
  5. Paul Lydon

Paul Lydon United Kingdom Subscriber

That reminds me of when I was in the cadets at school and we had ex-army Compo rations when camping. We used to open all the tins, stewing steak, potatoes, boiled sweets (yes even those went in!) and empty them into a large pot and put on the campfire to cook. Delicious (and we had no excuse by way of having imbibed any alcohol!). We drew the line at the tins of processed cheese though, that we chucked on the fire and scattered before it exploded and covered everything with cheese...

6. Duck

While I was in the USMC we'd go out on maneuvers. We were issued c-rations. By the end of week a few of us decided to do the same thing. Only problem the only thing we had resembling a pot was my metal helmet. This is not recommended. For one it was painted green so paint needs burnt off. 2 it's Spain and to clean and 3 it always had a slight smell from then on. Plus it didn't make the c-rats any more appetizing.

7. geeves

geeves New Zealand Subscriber

I cant even imagine tinned cheese

8. SveaSizzler

SveaSizzler United States Subscriber

Velveeta spread in a shallow can. Wartime version would be more of a powdered consistency.
    Truly ghastly, by all accounts.

9. itchy

Spent about 10 months on a muddy hill top that served as a fire support base. Lots of C-rations and we often did the same with the main meals (no fruit). We were fortunate enough to score a large coffee can that held a fair amount. As long as someone had a bottle of Tabasco, any combination was a good change of pace.

I did not mind C-rations so much. But you had to get to the case before it had been picked over. It did, however, seem that 90% of the time the canned fruit was apricots (or labeled as such). I have refused to eat another apricot now for over 50 years.

Freeze-dried meals, that we just called "lerps" (LRPs), were a nice treat when we could find some. A few of them could be eaten dry like a snack mix.

10. Duck

Itchy, I shouldn't have complained about the c-rats. They really weren't too bad. Wasn't crazy about the peanut butter. Although I have never had an mre I've heard some are inedible.

11. snwcmpr

snwcmpr SotM Winner Subscriber

Not gonna rub in Navy chowline food .... but, sometimes it was so bad that I would skip putting any on the tray and just make a PB&J sandwich.

12. ArchMc

ArchMc SotM Winner Subscriber

Must be different depending on where you are. I spent a couple weeks as a civilian contractor on San Nicolas Island. Part of the deal was I ate Navy food 3 meals a day.

I couldn’t believe how good it was. Every meal was like Thanksgiving dinner. I thought, “man, if this is what military food is like, I should sign up!”:lol::lol:

….Arch

13. snwcmpr

Yeah, depending on the cook. They rotated, and one could great food from mediocre supplies. Another just the opposite. Midrats were almost always really good.

14. Duck

The Marine Corp is why I couldn't eat chicken for yrs. I swear they just pluck em and put em on a plate.

15. Jack Ryan United Kingdom

Maybe give you all a laugh or a smile here.......>>

Had a climbing partner who was fanatical about weight he carried in his backpack and so insisted that everything was
    transfered from a tin or jar etc etc etc into tin foil or into plastic boxes or bags which more than once let to things like Cocoa powder being put into a stew instead of gravy powder. We also suffered with a tube of toothpaste being added to the pan instead of a tube of tomato puree.( it was dark after all ).
    Ive even seen a plastic pouch of condensed milk added to pasta instead of a cheese sauce!!.........Happy days.
    For my mate George it was anything to save even an ounce of weight. Alas the poor guys gone now but I still have
    fond memories of our days on the rock and in camp.

I wont even go into some of the things I ate in the South Atlantic!!!

16. Lantern

Duck- - "Wasn't crazy about the peanut butter" . I can relate. When in VN I used the peanut butter as a medium for burning G I mosquito repellent to heat C-rats when C4 was not available.
    Charlie

17. Ben Hall

Ben Hall United States Subscriber

That's pretty funny!

Reminds me of once we were camping somewhere I forget...probably New York State. I went to open a giant bag of potato chips (crisps) and the whole bag tore down the side, spilling most of them on the ground. In my anger, I started shoveling them from the ground onto the tiny fire we were trying to get going. Yup, the chips (crisps) being cooked in oil were VERY FLAMMABLE. Got the fire going GREAT and QUICKLY. :) From that point forward, we considered potato chips (crisps) not just food, but also as emergency fire starter! :)

-b

18. snwcmpr

Fritos brand work great.

19. BradB

BradB United States Subscriber

If you didn’t like c rats you just weren’t hungry enough. I thought they were great!

20. Lantern

BradB- - Ham and Lima beans - YUMM!