What was your first ?

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by fyldefox, Jan 20, 2006.

1. fyldefox

fyldefox R.I.P.

Hi Gents

Just been perusing my stove listing and realised that last December was the 30th anniversary of me first getting a proper pressure stove.

It was an Optimus 00 and cost me precisely nothing ! :D

At the time I was working in a climbing shop and this was brought in for repair and although I fettled it, they never came back, so I was given it. :D

It has worked flawlessly over the years and has only just had its pump leather changed not bad after 30 years. =D> \:D/

In July it?ll be the 30th Anniversary of the second, it was a new 8R ? I will have to bake a cake. :roll:

So what was your first proper stove ?

Keith

2. CWilkins

CWilkins Subscriber

Hello,
    Mine was a Radius 17. Still a great stove.

Chuck

3. Henry

Svea No5, 32 years ago

4. alanwenker

alanwenker Subscriber

Optimus 80, about 27 years ago. You have an amazing memory to recall the specific date. I wish I had had the foresight to have saved the packaging and instructions.

5. sefaudi

Mine was Optimus 45. Still great and handsome stove.

If I am not mistaken the common opinion on the burner type for outdoors application is roarer burner. I am not trying to change the main subject, but kindly request your opinion on this subject as well.

Best regards,
    Sefa

6. Doc Mark

Doc Mark SotM Winner Subscriber

Good Morning, Gents,

Some may not consider them a "proper pressure stove", but my first stove was a Coleman 425, two-burner suitcase stove, bought new in 1980 for $25! It was followed, in short order, by another Coleman, a Model 400, a Christmas present in 1983. I didn't get my first "proper pressure stove" ;) until I found my first SVEA 123 at a swap meet, several years later, for $12!! :lol: That one was followed by a brand new Enders Baby Benzine, and another SVEA 123, found at that same swap meet and bought from the same seller, $25 for the both of them, in 1987!! No looking back, after that!! 8) :lol: ;)

Sefa, I guess the "prevailing wisdom" suggests that roarer burners should be used outside, and silent burners should be used inside. But, I've used plenty of stoves with silent burners while out in the wilderness, and they work perfectly, as long as you take care to shield them from the wind. Since I do the exact same thing for my roarer burner stoves, it's no great shakes to use a silent burner in the wilderness. Note that the new Optimus 111C, and it's baby Brother, the Optimus #10, both have silent burners, and both are designed for wilderness use. Just my two cents on the topic.... Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc Mark

7. hobowonkanobe

I cld n't resist; I actualy went through a small collection of 8rs and 123s back in the late '80s. As well as an Optimus Eagle. (though, no one including myself cld fig it out. At that time, I had almost no idea how to work them, so they went the way of the Dodo :cry:
    More recently, I had gone through a couple of 123s in concert w/ the Coleman / Peak one mutli fuel. In late '99 I found an Optimus 111B in a second hand shop for $50. Seemed kinda steep, but, for reasons unknown, I was driven to aquire this lil beauty.
    My 1st propper pressure stove was in the spring of 2003. Also an Optimus 00.(hense all those q.s back then :oops: )

8. Jim Henderson

Mine was an Optimus 8R purchased from P&S Sales in Oklahoma in 1968. Cost me $12.95 plus shipping. Along with that I purchased some USGI canned ham. Salty as all heck and a real beast to choke down, but me and my buddy being tough 12 year olds, couldn't wait to campout in the back yard and chow down.

I still have the stove and it has worked like a champ all these years. Only needed to replace the fuel cap O ring about 5 years ago.

This stove almost always made it into the pack on my backpacking expeditions, at least in my earlier days. Now I do mostly car camping but plan to do more hiking now that my boys are old enough.

Next stove was a USGI Butterfly stove that burns hexamine tablets. Bought it in 1969 from Kings Surplus in Albuquerque. I think it cost me a buck plus something like 3 cans of hex tablets for a buck. Still have it too. It also almost always makes it in my pack, or pocket. Always bemuses my wife when I can whip out all the makings for a hot cup of coco on the trail by just reaching into my pocket.

Jim Henderson

9. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

Optimus 45L, 1961.

10. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator, R.I.P. Subscriber

Mine was a Primus 96 which I bought in 1972.
    I still have it. Here it is:

cc816962.jpg

11. fyldefox

fyldefox R.I.P.

Come on Trevor, can't you get a better shine that . . . . tut tut ! ;) ;)

Keith

12. DougR

My first pressure stove - wasn't a stove and it wasn't mine.
    It was my grandfather's paraffin blow-lamp and three bricks in 1962 or 1963 - Hooked.

By 1968 I had used a primus 210, 96 and the optimus 11 (could have been 111 not sure).

I bought my own first paraffin stove in 1979 - a shinabro copy of the optimus 00.
    Last week I scored a blow-lamp and its nearly working.

13. rik_uk3

Her name was Susan, she was two years older than me, first time for both of us, but we fumbled through and enjoyed the experience :lol:

14. oops56

Was it hot

15. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith Subscriber

:-k ...I thought your first girlfriend was called Stella, Rik - Stella Artois :roll:

Sounds like you saw quite a bit of her last night... ;)

16. fyldefox

fyldefox R.I.P.

I don't know . . . . well at least we got about 10 replies before the decline set in ;) ;)

Keith

17. Ian

Ian Subscriber

Camping Gaz GlobeTrotter (the one in the avatar), mid 70s.

18. dsk

My first stove was a H?vik Verk #41, a nickel-plated one in a rusty tin, I got it on th scrap heap, and brought this thing home, and asked my father; (I was about 10 yrs) What is this? He explained, and told me about how his mother used a 3 legged stove in summer, and moved the cooking outdoors in stead of using the wood-burning stove and heat up the entire building. The old rusty tin was thrown avay, and I got a plastic box instead. (This has annoyed me later) Thats how I started got it, and the interest or facination of this invention.

dsk

19. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith Subscriber

Well, the original question lacked a subject, so I blame whoever posed it. Just who was that, Keith...? ;)

20. fyldefox

fyldefox R.I.P.

It's a fair cop, but on that basis it could have referred to your first anything . . . . whisky, rent-boy just about anything.

Ah but the first post put it into searingly sharp focus ;)

Keith