If you have large flammable liquid fire in an enclosed space, having an appropriate extinguisher is probably your only chance of saving the structure (and maybe your own life) I have first hand experience of using a dry chemical extinguisher on a gasoline & kerosene fire in a garage. Yes, it made a huge mess but it put the fire out and saved the building. Had it failed (it almost did because of the size of the fire), retreat would have been my only course of action. Dry Chemical types are by far the most common and do work. CO2 will work on fuel but if other stuff has been ignited by the burning fuel then re-ignition is likely. It does have the advantage of no mess. Purple K is Awesome stuff if you can get your hands on it. It will put out a fuel fire better than just about anything else and I don't care how toxic it is alleged to be. At that point it time I'd rather have the fire out.