Which fuel bottle?

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Leeder, Jan 19, 2010.

1. Leeder

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum to ask this question, if not please accept my apologys and move if required.

I am looking for a storage solution for carrying/storing additional fuel safely for my coleman stove and lantern.

I need a container/bottle that will be suitable for carrying Aspen 4T or Coleman fuel and will allow easy pouring.

I should think 1 litre of additional fuel will be enough for my needs.

What does everyone else use for carrying their additional fuel and what would you recommend?

I have read of a Triangia fuel bottle, are there any others available and do any of them offer anything over the rest?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

2. itchy

I use the common Sigg, MSR, etc., aluminum bottles designed for fuel. You can get a special-pouring cap but it is not really necessary. They are usually cheaper than the Trangia but you may find a good deal somewhere on the Trangia.

3. geeves

geeves New Zealand Subscriber

The triangia bottle is plastic. Is this ok for coleman fuel?

4. hikin_jim

I haven't ever used a Trangia bottle, but I think they would be OK. Others?

For relatively short term use, a plastic water bottle will do just fine for Coleman type fuel (including Aspen 4T). I've used plastic water bottles for several weeks on trips without mishap. I don't know I'd use them for 6 mos. Look for one with a cap made of a single piece of plastic, i.e. one without a separate seal. Often the seals will not work with fuel.

HJ

5. Doc Mark

Doc Mark SotM Winner Subscriber

Good Evening, All,

I've used the older aluminum Sigg bottles for many, many years, without even one problem. And, that's using them both for fuel storage, and also as a stove tank, with the many "plug and play" stoves. I've also used MSR bottles, with similar success, and not one problem. Some folks say that you can't use these bottles for Meths storage, and that's not been my experience. In fact, during our recent hike on Mt. Baldy, I showed Jim H., and Hikin' Jim, a late model Sigg bottle, that has had Meths in it for several YEARS, with no degradation of the insides of the bottle!! Any and all of the above should work well for you, as they have for me, for what it's worth. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

P.S. The fuel cap gaskets WILL harden as they age, no matter what fuel you put in the bottles, though. Keep a ready supply on hand, just in case you need them.

6. Leeder

Thanks for your help guys, I will check out if my local camping shop sells MSR bottles.

7. rik_uk3

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  8. fyldefox

fyldefox R.I.P.

The Trangia bottle is fine with Coleman / Petrol etc for storage only, and works even better if you fit a short length of plastic tubing:

1264026479-Trangia_Fuel_Cap_-_CCS.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015