Which Primus caps???

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by barrabruce, Jul 21, 2007.

1. barrabruce

Gidday folks.
    I was hoping that some one knows which primus caps I should order and how do I tell.
    From the Primus catalogue.

Burner........adjust Sil...... Silent ..........Silent
    no...............4195 .............4139........... 4138

Inner Cap....4676............4676............4676

Outer Cap....4205...........4197............4205

Whats the differnce between the outer caps??
    I know one has 5 rows of hole and the other 4 apparently.

I have different inner caps too!! some are low and others rounded off different.

Are the 4197's for the 'air tube" for want of a better word that sticks out the top of the burner higher??
    And the 4205's for the lower ones?

If then why are the inners the same apparently listed as such.

Some guidance would be much appreciated to order in the right ones for the burners I got.And be able to tell the burners apart and cross over to other makes as well. :?

Barra
    Only slightly confused and baffled
    Well mostly :)

2. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

G'day Bruce, If and when you find the Magic Stove Spares shop with this extensive stock of Primus burner parts, please give me the address.
    As far as I know stockists like Base Camp typically list " Outer silent cap for Primus No5-type stove" or "inner silent cap" He is selling old new stock which he has acquired.
    Many of the Primus/Optimus/Svea burner parts were not numbered which doesn't help.

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

3. barrabruce

Thankyou Mr Kerophile
    Sounds like they sell 'em over here too then.
    Presume the higher caps are for the 5 silent type then 'an call it good.
    One will presume the only differnce is between brass and primus steel.

Bugga I cant tell em apart. those two silents listed. Look the same to me in every way.
    :(
    Most me stoves mostly likely got differnet burners an caps on e'm anyway then what they are suppose to have.

Thanks for the advice though.

See if I can find a bucket of steam for you as well then ayhh :lol: :lol: :lol:

Barra

4. kerophile

G'day Bruce. Sorry, You got me on a bad day,
    I do have some basic measurements of silent cap sizes in a notebook. I took these from burners that I knew worked, and in some cases there were part nos on them.
    I will see if I can look them out later today and share them with you.
    Best Regards,
    George.

5. kerophile

G'day Bruce,
    Here as promised are the dimensions I took of some silent burner caps;

Primus No.4 stove;
    Inner Cap = 33.5mmOD, but lip at bottom extends to about 35mm diam. Centre hole diam.= 16.3mm, Height = 14.5mm
    Outer Cap = 38mm OD, but about 40mm on lower lip. Height at max, the top is domed, = 24mm. 5 Rows of holes.

Primus No.5 stove;
    Inner Cap = 39.5mmOD, 42mmOD on bottom lip. Centre hole diam. = 16.4mm. Max Height = 16mm
    Outer Cap = 44.6mm OD, 47mm on bottom lip. Max. Height = 26mm. 4 Rows of holes.

Primus No.6 or No.25 (# 4142)
    Inner Cap = 44mmOD, 45mmOD on bottom lip. Centre hole diam. = 16.4mm. Max Height = 20mm.
    Outer Cap = 49mmOD, 52mmOD on bottom lip. Max Ht = 26mm. 5 or 6 Rows of holes.

I will have photographs somewhere if you need them,

I trust this helps.
    Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

6. barrabruce

Thanks George
    Got me tired an' all too.
    :oops:

Eeeerrr.
    It should all work out I think.
    just some of the 5 silents type burners from all sorts got. got different heights of the "air tube"
    Thought there might have been a right an wrong caps for them.

Seems the high flat inner caps coupled with the higher outer caps are supposed to work.
    But then the bottom holes start up higher and the spacing is different in the outer caps so they all tend to heat the outer skirt different and blow the flames though differently.

Well if you can understand my jumbled explaination.....
    Sort of changes the whole ball game.
    But I suppose caps is caps.
    Take what one can get an hope they suit the burners pretty well.

Probably just being perdantic..'an it don't matter jack ..in the long run anyway.

Wish I had a time machine go back 50 years 'an look the bloody stove shops up 'n' put the "experts" under the microscope.

Be interesting......little secret tweeks and stuff...ooh them caps baaaa...holes way to big in 'em n' yu never get a true flame using that shite...stick to the proper ones......now this is the way its suposed to be done .....

Most likely mostly a nipple seat tweeking /bending session is in order.
    Think be 'alf me twubble
    Barra

7. darlton

Kerophile, your info deserves to be included in the Wisdom of the Ancients section.

Laurence

8. kerophile

Hi Fr. Laurence, I really need to check to see if there are part nos. on some of the outer caps. It would also be useful to match the dimensions to photographs. I will see if I can find some time to do make a post soon.

I never cease to be amazed at the variety of silent burner designs. Even when they look superficially the same, there are subtle differences in:

1. The burner head ( height of upstand, whether it has holes, location lips for the outer cap?.)

2. Inner caps (overall height, general shape, whether there are top holes etc.)

3. The outer cap ( material of construction, number of rows and colunns of holes, aperture size and positioning of the holes)

The whole exercise is complicated by the inter-changeability of components since, unless you receive a wrapped, original complete burner assembly, you can have no confidence in the provenance of the individual parts.

Aren't stoves fascinating

Best Regards,
    George.

9. barrabruce

Kerophile wrote
    And frustrating :evil: :lol:

Mungrol razzle ....GAAaaaah Silent burners.

No wonder most folks stick to them vortex burners.

Got to love'm but...

Thanks Folks

Barra