Which stove is this?

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by cabriolet76, May 14, 2011.

1. cabriolet76

cabriolet76 United Kingdom Subscriber

As in title, saw it on a shelf but could not get details.

1305399327-Mystery.jpg

2. mbechtel

Looks like a Primus #4 to me.

3. threedots New Zealand

I have to agree. And in very good condition to.
    Those burners I consider the best. If you can get it at a reasonable price, grab it. You wont regret it. Cheers

4. Arachnocampa

And that's the question; What is a reasonable price?

I'm watching an auction at the moment where the bidding on a 1925 No.4 is at $70 and has not met the reserve.

Typically what value would you expect or have seen these go for?

Cheers
    Colin

5. Lance

I would consider anything under an evilbay price a good'n.

lance

6. RonPH

The burner looks like its never been fired up :shock: droooooooooooool!!!!!!!

That my friend is really a good find if the price is right! (spin a win!)

Ron

7. threedots New Zealand

Hello Colin.
    :-$ I don't think that you are not the only member watching that particular auction. 8)
    As for value; Damaged and needing some work done - Depends on what the bidders are prepared to pay for it, I suppose. :whistle: Cheers, John

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  8. Arachnocampa

I had noticed you were bidding :)

9. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator, R.I.P. Subscriber

Boy oh boy!

Unused!!

$70 is a snip!

10. theyellowdog

Hi Colin, I agree with threedots on the shhh. At the moment to trademe we are bidding against a couple of buyers who are buying a lot of stoves, one has bought more in a month than I got in my frist couple of years collecting. Not discussing value of things help our chances of winning them at a reasonable price. I am all for trademe being an open market, no hard feelings etc but lets not shoot ourselves in the feet. Dan

11. geeves

geeves New Zealand Subscriber

Have to agree on this one. Those new people are pushing the bids way out of my reach. I havnt bought a stove in 6 months and they were from a second hand shop that used to double the typical tradme price.
    I want a 22 but an not willing to pay even close to what the last one went for.

12. Arachnocampa

Got it :D/ $79, and its somewhere local to pick up.

13. cazna

Well done, I threw in a last minute bid but didnt want to upset the mrs too much, Well worth the price, Nice stove, it will clean up well. Cool looking burner.

I have a 54 on its way to clean up and a double meths burner so one cant be to greedy, Glad its gone to a CCS member.

14. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator, R.I.P. Subscriber

You got it - great!

I hope we will eventually see photos of the stove on CCS.

15. threedots New Zealand

:thumbup: Congratulations on your acquisition and at a good price as well.
    Once you get it up and going; I don't think you would consider selling it on again.

They can cook well outdoors, especially with the wind guard it has. It won't need the full sheltering that other later model silent burner stoves usually require.
    The stoves I have with these type of burners; I have used successfully to cook up some very nice omelette's and pan toasties, no trouble at all.

The riser tube should straighten up easily enough with a little boiling water poured over the tank to heat it first, and you should be able to source another spirit dish for it.
    'Brass Monkey' on TradeMe can supply the necessary seals for it, as well as leather pump buckets.

I really like those burners. They hold their heat well and burn a beautiful blue ball of flame, emanating from the deep non-vented skirt.
    Even if/when the jet is worn a little, the flame can still burn "all blue", longer than the more modern version silent burners, before the jet needs to be replaced.
    I put that down to the burner being made from a heavier gauge brass and the non-vented nature of the deep skirt, not loosing the heat so easily and keeping the fuel gas hotter longer until it has burnt off.
    Unlike the early Primus No.5, with the same type of burner,I think the jet aperture on your No.4, is the same size as what the smaller Optimus No.00 for eg.., would have.

When you get it, it would be nice to see more photos of it - especially when you have it going. Cheers

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  16. Brass monkey

nice stove, was watching this as well. I have also noticed that there are more now more people bidding on stoves as their was when i first started collecting about 8 years ago, and the prices have risen as well but their are still bargains to be had.

17. geeves

geeves New Zealand Subscriber

The new bidders that are not members here also sell a fair few stoves. Is it possible they deliberately manipulate price. If so Im out of the collecting game

18. theyellowdog

I don't think any of that goes on, they may be members. They certainly do all their stove research here (best place to do it!). I hope they become active members, the more the merrier.

19. Arachnocampa

Firstly my apologies to cabriolet76, I seem to have hijacked your post!

Thanks John for the repair tips. I'll post some photos when I've had a chance to look at it.

Off to Foxton on Saturday to pick it up.

Cheers
    Colin