which stove

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by steve coomber, Apr 12, 2011.

1. steve coomber

i am going to walk about 100km. with a friend. i will carry most of the gear.tent stove etc. i am going 2 boil most of my food that is dehydrated (by myself) and cook some stuff. looking 4 a fuel efficient stove. 8r or trangia or hexamine plus plenty of wood around. bibblumun track. western australia
    http://www.bibbulmuntrack.org.au/Home.aspx

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  2. RonPH

Well you gave us 3 choices there. I would go with the trangia as its complete pots and burner that stacks into one setup. The pots could also be used on wood burning fire pit.

Ron

3. rik_uk3

Hi Steve

I dry food myself and it can sometimes need a good simmer. Have you thought about making a 'cozy' for your pot, bring the food to the boil the take off the heat and the cozy will keep the food hot and cook in its own heat thus saving fuel (or wrap the pot in your sleeping bag or use a wide mouthed Thermos).

I would take a Trangia or small gas stove.

4. linux_author

sounds like a great walk! can't go wrong with the Trangia burner - no moving parts aside from the simmer lid... plus, it's lightweight...

hexamine/esbit is too messy for me, but works for some folks...

if your pot/kettle is stainless, you can cook or boil water over/on a hot bed of coals...

i like this new GSI kettle:

1302607816-gsik.jpg

(it is large enough for one or two people, has a w-i-d-e opening, made of stainless, and can hold a Trangia burner, wire pot supports, foil windscreen, fuel, sparker, bandanna, spork, and coffee/tea)

good luck on your walk!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  5. steve coomber

will the aluminum trangia pots melt on the fire pit. have seen some burnt cars the aluminum rims just leave a puddle

6. Spiritburner

Spiritburner Admin SotM Winner Subscriber

Fuel effieciency is variable & different models can be affected by the conditions. The 8R is more fuel effiecient than a Trangia but if it's wild weather that effieciency can be reversed.

Reliability, predictability are other factors I'd consider.

4 or 5 days out in Australia? I'd certainly take something I knew had worked for me in the past & would be wary of anything I'd not used personally even if recommended by folk on this forum.

Rik_uk3's tip re the cozy is one I use succesfully (except the sleeping bag part)

7. Spiritburner

Spiritburner Admin SotM Winner Subscriber

Mine never have - unless you let them burn/boil dry - then they will go the same way as those rims. But that would happen on the stove too, not just the fire.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  8. steve coomber

hi rick after cooking and the flame is out. wrapping in the sleeping bag that would keep cooking it 4 while yeah. i dehydrate meat and veg i take rice. Noodles dont agree with my bum. durum wheat in noodles bad 4 me.

9. nzmike

If firewood is no sweat, how about a fire pot of some sort? They're interesting... :-k

The people cooking on the link page are using a Trangia, looks like 25, that could be a hint...

10. nzmike

Just looked at the link a bit, seems fires are frowned upon and liquid stoves encouraged. If it was my trip, I'd be tearing out my hair trying to choose between the 123, 77a and 123 powered Sigg Tourist. 123 If I'm solo, either of the other two if you and your bud are going to pool your food and cooking... :-k Should be a good trip, Steve, have fun!

11. steve coomber

last trip by car. took a sirram metho pad thing and stand did not use the one pint pot/cup thing just chucked a fry pan on top cooked all our meals broome to perth worked ok. 2300 kms

12. Doc Mark

Doc Mark SotM Winner Subscriber

Morning, Steve,

I think Spiritburner's advice is the best way to go: Take and use what you know and already use!! I'd say that means, take the one you can start and use in your sleep, with one hand tied behind your back, in all weathers and conditions. That's what I'd do, for sure. Have a fine trip, and please share a report, with photos, when you return, safe, sound, and happy! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc