Whisperlite simmer ring and base diy

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by montanafan, Jun 11, 2019.

1. montanafan

montanafan United States Subscriber

Apologize up front that the whisperlite probably isn't a "classic" but mine at least is old enough to have come with an unstamped fuel block and white fabric hose. (Plan on using it, so changed the hose to a new one with Lindal valve.)

I camp with my son's Scouts every month, so always on the quest for the best cup of morning coffee. Lately have been using a mocha pot for near espresso. I saw the rare WL simmer rings on a post, and couldn't find that or a similar on ebay. So I made my own.

Used brass, because classic camp stove forum. Couple of hole saw cuts and some smaller drilling. No machining equipment available. Dremeled out the leg notches. Stove stand is flashing with a grommet for center pivot.

Seems to work great. My Whisperlite is pre-shaker, so it simmers down pretty well anyway. Mainly needed an adapter for smaller cups, pots, etc. Pics attached.

FYI, my WL with my modified Lindal valve, white gas and a pot with heat exchanger, it will boil 2 cups cold water in 1 min 30 seconds. I love it. (Still like taking the 8r and 123r for most trips, as they are more "fun.")

IMG_20190610_091902247.jpg

IMG_20190610_092007732.jpg

2. 8R Pete

8R Pete United States Subscriber

I like it! Where I worked at before I resigned, I made several stove bases out of sheet metal so I could put my stoves on a picnic table and not worry about burning something up. My boss knew I had a lot of stoves so he didn't say anything as long as other work got done. Its funny as my Optimus 99 came with no windscreen so I just got some aluminum sheet metal and made my own.

3. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

Good job.
    Good coffee.

4. ROBBO55

ROBBO55 Subscriber

It looks 'fit for purpose' . :thumbup:

5. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

Oh, does it stay flat?

6. montanafan

We heated it up to glowing red, and...it would bend if you really put pressure on it. It was decently thick brass. Was wondering about that. What would be the optimum material (not exotic.) The espresso pot keeps it from getting cherry red.

7. montanafan

Hot pics.
    IMG_20190611_181822180.jpg

IMG_20190611_181831679.jpg

IMG_20190611_182225165.jpg

8. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

That is cool (Hot).

9. OMC

OMC Subscriber

hello again montanafan,
    Nicely done.

There is ample *examples for various add-on/options that set atop camp stove flame.
    Re your "What would be the optimum material (not exotic.)" ?
    Steel (ie steel plate(s), steel rod)
    *Old Primus, coleman 530 & the XGK just uses the top of ordinary tin can.
    Sorry to report, i've not seen such option made of brass (costly & not as rigid).

but , it seems,
    those simmer plate examples i mention are not the solution you seek.
    Your need is the same as what Harder describes here " I am on the lookout for a simmer plate/trivet for my two MSR stoves (Whisperlite International and XGK-EX) in order to have my small 2-cup percolator stand steady (and not burn the handle) - So something fitting three x 120 Degrees pot stands..?
    I guess the original MSR Espresso is made of Unobtanium... "

unobtanium he refers to is this,
    MSRespressoStar.jpg

** "Espresso Star", MSR item that is no longer offered, it's a
    **trivet? - or a "what do you call it"
    -----------
    All, actually I have request, what do you call it, what is title used on ebay?, for this camp stove whatdoyoucallit from Korea (item also referred to in link above, I can't find it on ebay).
    MSRespressKorea.jpg
    ------------

Credit Simes link to, domestic, Kitchen Craft Gas Ring Reducer... includes search tag: gas ring reducer which gets many results.
    ------------
    I expect the above 3 examples are made from steel plate (maybe some SS). A reminder use of steel rod is an option, in either case it is steel that can withstand the heat.
    thx omc
    @montanafan @Harder D. Soerensen
    @Simes

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  10. Simes

Simes Subscriber

I agree @OMC, the terms seem to be interchangeable. I was going to post myself about the terminology but didn't get around to it.

As.you point out you'll get more search hits using the term 'reducer', likewise for simmer rings/plates you'll throw up better results using the term 'diffuser'.

11. montanafan

Thx for the input. Brass was on hand, and "free." Will probably be a v2.0, as I like to perfect things. Steel would be thinner and lighter. All I had on hand for steel was flashing that was galvanized, and not into burning that.