White gas stove for larger pots?

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by SamPNW, Jan 19, 2021.

1. SamPNW United States

Hello! I’m new to the forums. My name is Sam and I’m a backpacker and camper in the never-sunny Pacific NW. I use a Coleman 502 and Optimus 8R for most of my camping trips. I’m looking to pick up a larger single burner white gas stove for camp use where I’m cooking for more people or just want to use bigger pots. I’d like something that can easily handle a 12” skillet or 6-8 qt pot, or a small wok. I borrowed a Coleman two burner stove and it was pretty good but a little tight for a bigger skillet. And I would prefer a single burner stove to save space. I’ve spent a few hours looking through stove lists and there’s just a ton of options, I’m a little overwhelmed. So I’m looking for recommendations from those with field experience. Thanks!!

2. Marc

Marc Subscriber

Hi Sam, welcome. PNW crew here as well.

Which two burner did you use? There are different sizes and some will definitely handle larger pots and pans better than others.

Most single burner stoves are meant for single travelers or smaller groups, which means smaller pots and pans. The 500 would handle the 12" skillet just fine, but I wouldn't want to put two gallons of water on it. I don't think there's a larger 1 burner white gas camp stove, I think the next step up is more industrial stuff, like the Handi Gas Plant. You'd rather haul a two burner 413 than an HGP.

Someone else who knows better will be along shortly.

3. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

I can't bring a larger single-burner white gas camp stove to mind, either. I use a 533 to supplement a two-burner, but it's essentially the same size as a 502.

If the two-burner you used was a 425, it's a bit tight, to be sure. As Marc says, the 413 is a better 2-burner choice.

Welcome to CCS.

4. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

@SamPNW Acknowledging Marc’s reservations about too great a loading I’d consider a Coleman 500 Speedmaster. Robust, reliable and very controllable output.

25BEA664-D703-403F-B12D-86D3F67031E6.jpeg

Welcome!

John

5. SamPNW United States

Yes - it was the Coleman 424 (dual fuel version of 425). I used a 9” skillet and it was an OK fit but too small for a bigger pot. I looked at the 414 - it has 11” burner to burner, probably too tight for the 12” carbon steel pan I have in mind. It would also be too big for my cooking table but that’s an easier problem to solve :)

6. Geoff Chirnside

Geoff Chirnside Subscriber

Check out some of the kero stoves made in India, they have some that are used for huge pots.
    I came across some when cruising on Ebay a while back, can't remember where.

7. Ed Winskill

Well, if we were talking kero there could be several options, but that's a different story.

8. SamPNW United States

@presscall - that’s a nice looking stove - I’ll do some research on it. I’m thinking a separate pot stand for heavier loads would be a good solution. How much do you think the 500 can support on its own?

9. SamPNW United States

@Geoff Chirnside and @Ed Winskill yeah kero isn’t a great option, little harder to source and my other stoves are white gas so I’d like to stick to the one type of fuel and not risk a mixup or have to carry multiple types. I know some stoves can run on multiple due types and that’s okay, but not really a selling feature for me.

10. Ed Winskill

Well, Sam, hang around here long enough and you'll get over that...8]

11. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

I’ve had a pot with a gallon of water in it, plus a load of crab-apples and sugar to boil for jam. Nothing buckled, nor any suggestion that anything would! They’re a very tough workhorse.

12. OMC

OMC Subscriber

Welcome Sam,
    You're spoiled with the 502. Sorry, but I wonder if the 500 will deliver ample heat for groups / bigger portions. 508 has excellent simmer like 502 and can also put out a lot more heat but 508 (& 533) actually have smaller grate surface than the 502 : (.

I've not heard of any remedy out there to allow a 508 to work well with larger pots/pans. I too would be interested to hear of one. Absent that, for that type stove I come up empty.

You're very specific I like that. The wok shape does not create as much concern for overheating the stove.
    6-8 qt pot and 12" steel fry pan are a challenge.

MSR w/remote tank is quite different than 502. MSR specs says Dragonfly boils a liter in 3.5 mins (same as XGK).

The Dragonfly is made for larger pots / group cooking. "Precision flame control with large-pot stability" This sounds like what you want and may be... or at least is getting closer. It's the one I can think of at the moment.
    That said, "large" for the dragonfly is 10".
    8 qt pot may be problem. 12" steel fry pan is a potential problem as well. It matters what's ambient temp, what's in the pan, length of cook time, can flame's heat escape freely etc.
    Again, I too will be interested in what you might come up with.

13. Ed Winskill

Large pots on single burner stoves are always a bit problematical.

High center of gravity, often, but in any event, under camp conditions it's not too hard to bump pots, put them back off-center, etc; various mishaps that send the contents onto the table or ground.

With car camping I think a two-burner is always best for the big pots. Backpacking, one of the main reasons I almost always use the Sigg set is precisely the increased stability of the pots.

14. Harder D. Soerensen

Harder D. Soerensen Denmark Subscriber

Hi @SamPNW
    Here is my 500/1939 is boiling a large pot filled to the brim with potatoes and water - worked great (Thanks HV @MrAlexxx )
    37676720-F6E4-4A36-9326-253AB40105E3.jpeg

The MIL Enders 9061 also comes to mind - collapsible and stable for larger pots. Maybe too large pots/Skillets can overheat the fount (never experienced it though).

If the ground is flat and solid - The Phoebus 625 also comes to mind. Simmers well and is build rock solid.

The Shmel 2 would also be a well-tried stove.
    New Shmel-2

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
  15. Murph

Murph United States Subscriber

@Harder D. Soerensen , I really should get one of those, or horse trade my 501 to someone for one!

Murph

16. Greeley

Greeley United States Subscriber

@SamPNW. RE: using a 2-burner Coleman for a 12" pan being "tight", I had used my Coleman 425 for 20-odd years before a friend told me that one could take the lid off the stove to make more room for griddles, pots, etc. DOH!, as they say!

One can learn something new almost any day.

Tom

17. SamPNW United States

Yes - I took the lid off the Coleman. If it was single burner it would be about perfect for what I want.
    I checked out the Shmel-2 and it’s a nice looking stove, maybe a little small, it’s so hard to tell size without measurements. How much larger is it compared to a Coleman 502?

I see this “Shaaz” also in the Russia section and maybe it’s exactly what I am looking for...
    Gasoline Stove Shaaz

18. Harder D. Soerensen

Harder D. Soerensen Denmark Subscriber

@SamPNW
    I can do a photo comparison tomorrow with the 502.

19. snwcmpr

snwcmpr SotM Winner Subscriber

413 2 burner or 426 3 burner.
    You say "camp use".

20. cottage hill bill

cottage hill bill Subscriber

Here are the Handy Gas Plant, 500a and 502 together for size comparison.
    Heatmaster, 500, 502.jpg