Who's a happy fella?

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by cottage hill bill, Nov 17, 2020.

1. cottage hill bill

cottage hill bill Subscriber

As I've mentioned before, military GPAs are at the core of my collecting. Last year I finally scored a Canadian issued 500. Now, almost a year to the day I found another. This one was in even better shape than the first. The inside of the fount looked unused, the original pump leather just needed a short soak in oil and there was enough original finish on the burner for me to determine what the factory finish was. The needle rod in the generator was rusted to the coil but the outer tube slipped right off. Backwards from what usually happens with Coleman generators. A few days soaking in penetrating oil and the parts finally separated. the rod was pitted but still useable. Based on the remaining paint on the burner, grate, windscreen and base plate I repainted those parts. Had to replace some of the burner screws, but luckily they're a common 10-24 truss head screw. I made a mistake in the post one the first one, the collar is stamped with the burn - light info, but also has a painted pair of arrows. The new one has only the stamped instructions, in English and French but no trace of painted directions. Anyway, most happy with this new addition to the herd.
    WP_20201114_001.jpg WP_20201114_007.jpg

2. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

Congrats, that is pretty sharp.
    Duane

3. MrAlexxx

MrAlexxx SotM Winner Subscriber

That would put a BIG smile on my face! Great score.

Alex

4. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

5. ulysses

ulysses Subscriber

Yes, that is on the top of the list for Coleman 500s. Congratulations! I presume that the windscreen was factory standard for this model and time period. Any indication that it was military issue by the Canadian (or any other) government, i.e. a stamped broad arrow, etc.?

A related question: when did AGM start using a very similar wind screen on their very similar stove?

Paul

6. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

@cottage hill bill Grand, Reese.

The ‘burn’ and ‘light’ markings on the collar on mine were so indistinct, I stencil-painted a made-up designation on mine to remind me of the relevant lever position.

Your choice of paint colour is authentic. I had a olive drab of sorts in stock, not so authentic.

C0DD3B1F-6893-49C4-AC3F-4FA473A3D13D.jpeg

John

7. cottage hill bill

@ulysses The windscreen setup was factory on the military version. The color is the giveaway for the military issue stoves along with the date. As far as I know the khaki/olive drab color was never on a civilian model. See my post on my first one
    Long time coming
    The fact that the generator stamp on the bottom is applied after the paint means these were painted at the factory. I have seen one with a C /|\ stamp. Neither of mine has one. Use seems to be inconsistent on Canadian gear, unlike the British who stamped everything including rocks. Canada discontinued the broadarrow inside a C stamp in 1949.

8. JP2

JP2 Subscriber

WoW,

9. MrAlexxx

I see absolutely nothing on mine in regards to any "burn"..."light" markings but it does have a nice painted over the olive green on the bottom stencil of what generator to use.

Alex

10. cottage hill bill

@MrAlexxx Look very closely, with a good light around the middle of the collar (vertically). It should be on either side of the lever but it's possible your collar has been turned around. I thought my first one didn't have any markings except the painted on arrows and light and burn but seeing the second one made me look again. Collar on the first one has some rust spots making it harder to see but sure enough the stampings are there. Very fine and small letters but visible. Bet yours is marked too.

11. MrAlexxx

@cottage hill bill

Pretty rusty but I'll get my trusty magnifying glass and give it a good look see. I'll report back.

Alex

12. cottage hill bill

@MrAlexxx I rubbed a little white chalk onto the collar on mine, helps the lettering show up. They really are hard to see even on collar in good shape.