Why do we need regulated burners on kerosene stoves?

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Twoberth, Jan 30, 2020.

1. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

Is the high pressure in a tank really a factor with the regulator turned down?

2. Murph

Murph United States Subscriber

Wow. You've all overlooked the obvious. Having a regulated burner gives you more options for fuel. With the added control, you can use kerosene or naptha - which, back in the day, was the same as motor fuel for the cars of the era.

Murph

3. Wim

Wim Subscriber

Even with a regulated burner I would NEVER use naphta in a stove designed to run on kero, and would strongly advice against it!

4. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

I, too, seriously doubt that that is one of the "whys"...

5. ArchMc

ArchMc Subscriber

I would never do that, either. But he's right. The regulated burner allows you to shut the stove down without releasing pressure. It's no more dangerous than a 111b. Just make real sure the NRV is good before you start it up.

....Arch

6. Ed Winskill

I don't agree with the 111B comparison, because your basic regulated silent is a domestic stove, not an outdoor stove. (At least, that's how I interpreted the topic.)

Domestic stoves were used daily indoors, maybe several times a day. They were everyday cooking stoves at home, and the use of petrol in such circumstances is dangerous, because with constant use, spills and various mishaps will happen.

So I wouldn't use a Coleman petrol stove indoors, at least not more than during a short blackout. Same with petrol in traditional regulated silent brassie.

7. ArchMc

ArchMc Subscriber

Let me be more clear: It's possible to use a regulated domestic with the same degree of safety as a 111b. I'm not saying it's a good idea. We've all discussed the shortcomings of non-Coleman NRVs for petrol stoves, and these shortcomings are much more serious for any stove used indoors, especially in a domestic setting (frequent use, inexperienced users (including children), proximity of flammables, etc).

....Arch

8. Ed Winskill

One can run a classic unregulated roarer on petrol if need be outdoors, and were I somehow caught out in the woods with an empty one, but only petrol fuel in the bottle, I wouldn't hesitate at all to use it. I'd be a little more careful, and I'd put something flat between the airscrew and the burner when I released the pressure. I've mixed some petrol in kero in cold weather on a couple of occasions.

It only comes up because "why do we need regulated burners on kerosene stoves", the title of the thread, does not include Murph's 'obvious'...8]